ADSB TRAFFIC- it works

DrBill

Finally got my 2 hour engine breakin flight on Sunday.  My instructor and I took off at 250pm. Climbed to 4500, smooth as silk.

(class  B floor is 5000), called CLT approach, got a squawk and proceeded to do a racetrack around our airport with 5 mi straight legs.

It was COLD. 20 deg and heat was minimal (fix #2), After a few mins the controller asked us to stay between 4750 and 5000 for traffic.

Shortly there after he reported a Citation going by 1000 ft lower, opposite direction, never saw it. About 15 mins later we get a traffic alert on my GPS screen:

TRAFFIC, 300 ft low,  2 oclock. We look , and there it is, a Dash 8 out of CLT for points E- NE.   Goes by about 500 ft low as I approach 5000.

The investment in ADS-B was worth it.  We flew 2.6 total.  1.0 around the airport, then off to a remote airport (30MI EAST) for a couple of approaches.

They were fun at no less than 50 percent power.  Went FasT.  stopped there for some gas then headed back.

Found a bad cam lobe at annual in November, Had a major done by Triad Aviation as well as prop O/H, and all new hoses.

Vacuum pump quit after 40 mins (fix #1) and a CHT and EGT sensor were not indicating. (3, 4, respectively) and the STEC 30 A/P mode

switch would not work (too cold perhaps).

Anyway, back in the air and next flight when these few things are fixed. 

LOVE that GDL88 traffic tho.

Dr. Bill

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DrBill said:

Finally got my 2 hour engine breakin flight on Sunday.  My instructor and I took off at 250pm. Climbed to 4500, smooth as silk.

(class  B floor is 5000), called CLT approach, got a squawk and proceeded to do a racetrack around our airport with 5 mi straight legs.

It was COLD. 20 deg and heat was minimal (fix #2), After a few mins the controller asked us to stay between 4750 and 5000 for traffic.

Shortly there after he reported a Citation going by 1000 ft lower, opposite direction, never saw it. About 15 mins later we get a traffic alert on my GPS screen:

TRAFFIC, 300 ft low,  2 oclock. We look , and there it is, a Dash 8 out of CLT for points E- NE.   Goes by about 500 ft low as I approach 5000.

The investment in ADS-B was worth it.  We flew 2.6 total.  1.0 around the airport, then off to a remote airport (30MI EAST) for a couple of approaches.

They were fun at no less than 50 percent power.  Went FasT.  stopped there for some gas then headed back.

Found a bad cam lobe at annual in November, Had a major done by Triad Aviation as well as prop O/H, and all new hoses.

Vacuum pump quit after 40 mins (fix #1) and a CHT and EGT sensor were not indicating. (3, 4, respectively) and the STEC 30 A/P mode

switch would not work (too cold perhaps).

Anyway, back in the air and next flight when these few things are fixed. 

LOVE that GDL88 traffic tho.

Dr. Bill

X2 on the GDL-88.  It's the box that turned the lights on and now I can actually see what's around me.  Love it!

45 minutes ago, M20F said:

I have used TIS & ADS-B and while they are nice I still often enough see a plane that doesn't pop up on the screen.  Be interested to hear other's feedback. 

I've had a GDL 88 for over 3 years. It sees a lot more traffic than I do and I do not recall getting a visual on traffic that was not on the electronic eyes. 

I love having traffic displayed on the GTN750. 

IMG_20130720_123318_041.jpg

3 hours ago, M20F said:

I have used TIS & ADS-B and while they are nice I still often enough see a plane that doesn't pop up on the screen.  Be interested to hear other's feedback. 

In some areas you need to be at least at 3,000ft AGL to show traffic. It is not a malfunction but of limited coverage.

José

3 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I am selling my Co-Owner on the Lynx 9000+.  Will hopefully happen in a year or two...or three :)

I'm still not a fan of Mode-S.  I will be going with one of the UAT versions that remain anonymous when squawking 1200.  No chance of me ever getting above FL180.

12 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I had this happen in west Texas where ground stations are missing coverage. ATC kept us separated, other plane was a 737.

I've got a question for both M20F and TeeJayEvans then.  Do either or both of you have ADS-B OUT?

Here is my understanding of how it works:

• If neither plane has ADS-B OUT and you are the only two planes around, your IN equipment will not show the traffic.
  • If the other plane is OUT equipped, then you should see them via ADS-B or ADS-R (if within range of a ground station) or via TIS-B if in radar coverage.
  • If neither plane has OUT, but there is a third plane close enough that does have OUT, you will see both the other aircraft through ADS-B and TIS-B (if in radar coverage).
  • If you have OUT and IN, and your IN covers both 978 and 1090 (like most receivers seem to do) then you will see all other OUT equipped aircraft via ADS-B.  If in radar coverage you'll see everything ATC sees, including non-OUT equipped airplanes via TIS-B.
  • If you have OUT and IN, but your IN is either just 978 or just 1090, then you should see all other OUT traffic on your band via ADS-B.  If within range of a ground station, you should see ADS-B OUT traffic on the other band via ADS-R.  If you are in radar coverage you should also see non-OUT equipped aircraft via TIS-B.

So bottom line, if you do not have OUT, there is a good chance there will be traffic that is not displayed.  If you do have OUT and IN, you should see most if not all other traffic.

Yes I have out, so I will get replies from other ADSB equip planes.

But I need ground stations to relay information about planes with just mode C. They take the mode C transmission and add position info and retransmit as UAT. No ground station, no see mode C aircraft.

If all were required to have ADSB, then we wouldn't need the ground stations.

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Yes I have out, so I will get replies from other ADSB equip planes.

But I need ground stations to relay information about planes with just mode C. They take the mode C transmission and add position info and retransmit as UAT. No ground station, no see mode C aircraft.

If all were required to have ADSB, then we wouldn't need the ground stations.

If all were required to have ADSB, then there would be many fewer planes in the air . . .

43 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Recently been using the Flightstream to send GDL88 info to my 796 portable via BT. Works well. Technology is on a roll..

Yes it cost the taxpayers a boatload of money, and yes owners are on the hook for thousands in upgrades, but this is one program which has delivered on its promise. It still has a ways to go, but it works and works well. It could very well have been a pie in the sky government boondoggle which was not supported by manufacturers and died an ugly death, but I'm surprised at how many (mostly American) companies have joined the bandwagon to deliver the equipment needed to support the program. It would have been nice if the data were fed by satellite instead of being ground based, but you can't have everything. Then again, maybe there was a reason for that.

On 2/20/2016 at 7:25 PM, M20F said:

That happens to me a lot when I'm out of radar range from CLT and the a/c does not have ADS-B.

Just last week I was at AFP (abt 35mi E of CLT) and another plane was practicing landing.  We only saw him visually.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Followup on CHT/EGT errors... EGT was broken wire,  CHT was due to sensor wires bundled with ignition.  Fixed and tested-AOK.

A/P mode switch has broken universal in the T&B indicator.  common problem I'm told.. Taking to be fixed next Tues.. Part is in stock and 2 hr labor

Bill

• Like 1