Leaking propeller

MooneyBob

It looks like my seals on my prop finally gave up in this cold weather. The annual is coming soon and I will call my MSC and ask if they can also handle the prop repair. My governor is leaking as well. The prop is 3 blade McCauley. It has 830 hrs since new and I believe it wasn't touched since then. 

What steps should I take? Ask my mechanics to handle it or remove it and send for overhaul? 

Is it safe to fly with this kind of leak to the shop about 15 minutes? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mine was doing the same and I flew it right up until the annual. Don Maxwell had it in for annual, pulled the prop off and sent it to the prop shop, got it back and reinstalled it. All during the annual.

Not an A&P or anything like it, but my prop was blowing a little oil like that for probably 60 hours before we finally pulled it and got it fixed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

It looks like my seals on my prop finally gave up in this cold weather. The annual is coming soon and I will call my MSC and ask if they can also handle the prop repair. My governor is leaking as well. The prop is 3 blade McCauley. It has 830 hrs since new and I believe it wasn't touched since then. 

What steps should I take? Ask my mechanics to handle it or remove it and send for overhaul? 

Is it safe to fly with this kind of leak to the shop about 15 minutes? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How do the blades look?  I'd send it to East Coast Propellor and ask if they can reseal and paint rather than take meat off the blades. If the Gov is leaking at this time, I'd elect for a full governor overhaul.

In many parts of the country, because of the difficulty of getting rental space and cost, propeller shops have moved out of airports and pick up and bring back the prop once repaired or overhauled to you. 

You may want to check if there is a prop shop like that not too far from you ( say with 50 miles)