Cheap GPSS solution, can it work, is it worth it ???

Hi,

I got a Century 41 autopilot and GTN 650 and an HSI in the aircraft, with the new announcement from Garmin and ForeFlight, I'm wondering what I would need and how many AMU will it cost me to have a GPSS solution.

I was thinking that a Garmin FlightStream 201 and a Century GPS roll steering should do the trick to be able to have a flight plan on my Foreflight on the Ipad, transfer it to the GTN via the FlightStream and have it executed via my autopilot and the GPS Roll steering... According to the documentation from what I can find it is a workable solution, just wondering if there are better ways to go to have a GPSS with a reasonable AMU expenditure.

Thanks !

Hi,

I got a Century 41 autopilot and GTN 650 and an HSI in the aircraft, with the new announcement from Garmin and ForeFlight, I'm wondering what I would need and how many AMU will it cost me to have a GPSS solution.

I was thinking that a Garmin FlightStream 201 and a Century GPS roll steering should do the trick to be able to have a flight plan on my Foreflight on the Ipad, transfer it to the GTN via the FlightStream and have it executed via my autopilot and the GPS Roll steering... According to the documentation from what I can find it is a workable solution, just wondering if there are better ways to go to have a GPSS with a reasonable AMU expenditure.

Thanks !

You will need something to create and drive the GPSS signal into analog input to the autopilot. In my case I get GPSS from the Aspen PFD which in turn sends the signal to the analog autopilot (an STEC 60-2). Peter has recommended one model, there are others but it needs to be compatible with your autopilot and interface able with the navigator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been thinking of building a device that would royally PO the FAA. A device that would connect to an IPad or IPhone that would generate a low level localizer "test" signal. This signal could be used to steer the autopilot. There would be no physical connection so it would be portable. The signal would be so weak that it would be below the FCCs radar. It would take some software cooperation from the likes of Forflight, even though it could probably be hacked. You would just need to make sure that you don't turn it on if you are actually flying an ILS with that frequency.

Let me know if anybody would be interested in such a thing.

At nearly twice the cost, what is the advantage of the gdc31 over the century unit?

Where are you getting the info that the GDC31 is twice the cost than the Century AK1081?

We're talking about new units.

What amazes me is that Peter is a great guy in person. He takes this persona on in the forum that isn't him in the flesh. Maybe, like me. He is trying to keep excitement in these threads.

You just can't keep talking about the same stuff over and over again... like beautiful women....

b838f57f3561b29e7958e00ee21009e7.jpg

I have the Century 31 with the GNS530W and Iam happy with they way it turns without a GPSS unit.It may incur on some minor overshoots that are quickly correted besides most of my flights are circumnavigating around clouds and steering manually. I can save that moomey for AVGAS

José

• Like 1

Where are you getting the info that the GDC31 is twice the cost than the Century AK1081?

We're talking about new units.

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gdc31-gpss

~2k for the GDC31.

Our avionics shop quoted us slightly less than 1k for the AK1081 plus installation.

If he has a century 41 like we do I don't know why you wouldn't use the GPSS from century.

wow, this thread kind of went off the reservation, I was just asking simple questions, not sure why the fat lady is relevant, I guess where Marauder is posting, it is not long before the fat ladies make their apparence.

wow, this thread kind of went off the reservation, I was just asking simple questions, not sure why the fat lady is relevant, I guess where Marauder is posting, it is not long before the fat ladies make their apparence.

I'm here as a friendly reminder that the FAA medical does now include a BMI calculation. Over 40 BMI, automatic sleep study...

• Like 1

Nothing is complete until the fat lady sings.

Clarence

What amazes me is that Peter is a great guy in person. He takes this persona on in the forum that isn't him in the flesh. Maybe, like me. He is trying to keep excitement in these threads.

You just can't keep talking about the same stuff over and over again... like beautiful women....b838f57f3561b29e7958e00ee21009e7.jpg

Oooohhh! That's so sweet Chris! Are you sure SHE didn't make you say that?

I know her! She does look familiar. I have seen her somewhere. She is a call girl right?

She gives good massages doesn't she? Gummy gummy!

You just can't keep talking about the same stuff over and over again... like beautiful women....

b838f57f3561b29e7958e00ee21009e7.jpg

I don't think I've seen her before.  You add some more ladies to your harem?   :unsure:

As to the OP's question, what options are available for his AP?  I got the STEC GPSS which obviously won't work for his setup.  I bought one used from ebay and had it installed.  Considering how much the other avionics cost, the GPSS was relatively inexpensive in comparison.  I'm thinking <$2k installed.  The icarus unit was another option available to me at the time, but it was a good bit more expensive, and I was fine with a simple GPSS.

I don't think I've seen her before.  You add some more ladies to your harem?   :unsure:

As to the OP's question, what options are available for his AP?  I got the STEC GPSS which obviously won't work for his setup.  I bought one used from ebay and had it installed.  Considering how much the other avionics cost, the GPSS was relatively inexpensive in comparison.  I'm thinking <$2k installed.  The icarus unit was another option available to me at the time, but it was a good bit more expensive, and I was fine with a simple GPSS.

And that is what I'm looking for, cheap GPSS, without the Aspen PFD or something like that.

I guess the GPSS will be able to work with my mechanical HSI and receive it's directives from the GTN in HDG mode, right ?,

The NAV mode is already coupled with the GTN, but I have to turn it to the DTK when GTN tells me to.

And that is what I'm looking for, cheap GPSS, without the Aspen PFD or something like that.

I guess the GPSS will be able to work with my mechanical HSI and receive it's directives from the GTN in HDG mode, right ?,

The NAV mode is already coupled with the GTN, but I have to turn it to the DTK when GTN tells me to.

I'm definitely not an avionics expert, but I don't think you need a GPSS to guide your AP with an HSI or DG.  Someone has already mentioned it, but the GPSS simply converts the GPS digital signal to an analog signal the AP understands.  My plane would follow the heading bug before the GPSS install, but I wanted it to follow the 430W flight plan.

In my setup, I keep the AP in HDG mode, but use the GPSS button to swap sources b/t the DG or GPS.  Like I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the Century AP, so I don't know what options you have for it.

Oooohhh! That's so sweet Chris! Are you sure SHE didn't make you say that?

I know her! She does look familiar. I have seen her somewhere. She is a call girl right?

She gives good massages doesn't she? Gummy gummy!

Of course you know her, you had your hands in her mouth doing dentistry work. Don't you remember? You almost lost all of the digits in your right hand because she thought they were chicken fingers. Does that help refresh your memory?