Oshkosh 2015 Vendor Pireps

bradp

Hi all

For those of us who can't make it to Oshkosh this year, would the attendees be willing to report back on any worthwhile OSH sales, deals, or group buys that you can find in this tread? Really anything you think might be useful to the group and in support of the CB club members who are stuck at home/work.

Thanks!

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brad - can you stop by the Lynx booth and ask if their ADS-B products will put FIS-B and TIS-B data on both a Garmin GTN and and an Aspen MFD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need the Aspen unlock key for the aspen, a mere 2 AMU's...Asked and answered at SNF, didn't ask about the GTN.

You need the Aspen unlock key for the aspen, a mere 2 AMU's...Asked and answered at SNF, didn't ask about the GTN.

With the announcement you sent me Mike, maybe this has changed. I am still going to wait this stuff out. Too much time and too much money at stake...

I get the FlightStream unlock thing. Aspen is buying the FlightStream product probably under some sort of OEM agreement and they probably wrote the lockout in the contract to protect from competing against FlightStream.

If the L3 and Aspen deal is truly a collaboration, maybe this lockout fee doesn't exist anymore. L3 doesn't need Aspen... It has its own display (yeah, it's small) and can display traffic and weather without the Aspen.

I would like to see it show up on the Garmin, but hell is still pretty warm for it to freeze over...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi all

For those of us who can't make it to Oshkosh this year, would the attendees be willing to report back on any worthwhile OSH sales, deals, or group buys that you can find in this tread? Really anything you think might be useful to the group and in support of the CB club members who are stuck at home/work.

No deals really this year that I've found, not like the good old days.

Coolest new thing I've seen so far was from Sandia for those of us who don't have all our eggs in the Garmin basket.

http://sandia.aero/product/stx-360-sentinel/

• Like 1

day 1 - farming folks said flight stream does not work with fore flight - huh!'?! they didn't know.

day 2 - they learned it does / now they say also pilot can talk Bluetooth to both flightstream and gdl39 at the same time. but I lost faith in their knowledge on day 1.

Wandered through the University and Career area today because my wife's company has a booth there.

This is for you, Hank. War Beagle!

Woo-hooo!! Thanks, Andy! Should have checked this forum sooner . . .

Does NAV WORX have an OSHKOSH SPECIAL ?   Nothing on their website.

BILL

No, they didn't even have their own booth, they "advertised" kind of as part of Seattle Avionics booth. No specials.

Too bad, too, because I'm leaning strongly in that direction myself. The guy at the Seattle both said to just call Navworx with any questions.

• Like 1

Some more stuff I saw that was cool-

I saw the KI300 - a digitial ahars attitude indicator by king that replaces the KI256 that goes with autopilots like my King kfc200.  For just a little more than the cost of overhauling my KI256, when it is time to do that I will instead get the KI300.

This unit was VERY cool - http://www.grtavionics.com/mini.html%C2'> - a GRT backup attitude indictor in a box WITH synthetic vision.  I was hoping someone would make such a thing - it fills an empty panel hole as a "temporary" installation.  $1400.  I ALMOST bought it on the spot, but then I realized it does not have a backup battery.  Oh sooooooo close.  I will wait for one with a battery.

Alpha systems had some cool stuff.  I already have a legacy alpha systems AOA installed.  I love it - their previous top of the line, including heated probe, and voice annunciation through the headset.  But its a round dial in the panel just left of the airspeed indicator.  So I need to see it out of the corner of my eye as I landing flare.  So now they have as a possible add on a second annunciator light panel - I can get a row of lights, to place on the glare shield.  Which I am likely to do very soon.  Or also very cool, I can get their very cool heads up display of the same thing, also as a second annunciator.  I might even get that.  AOA being especially useful for during the flair should be in front of the field of view while looking down the runway.

• Like 1

The ICON seaplane is very well finished, and beautiful and I would love to own a share in one as a second airplane if there were a bunch of people locally that would do that - unfortunately that is unlikely as most pilots at my rural airport gravitate toward ratty barely flying older airplanes.  But it was stunning....

The new Mooney M10 mockup was stunning.  The leg room and the shoulder room is significantly greater than my M20.  But I am not a fan of sidesticks.  Or even center sticks.  I flew a center stick for 350 hours during my ownership of a DA40 - so I have some significant experience to have developed this opinion.  They are fun, but not as easy to separate completely the two axis of control for example during a side slip landing to flare in cross winds.  My cross wind landing technique got instantly much better when I swiched to Mooney with its traditional steering-wheel style yoke.  Generally the M10 I think will be a winner.  I asked the salesman how fast (already knowing the answer from my reading) and he said 170 to 180 knots.  Typical salesman - lying to make it sound better.  If it were a 180 knot airplane then wow.  But not likely.  It will be a 160-165 knot airplane likely in my opinion.  I am not interested myself in this airplane, but I was very curious.

Rotax had a very cool new engine - the 915es - a turbo charged full fadec turbo 135hp engine.  This thing has fuel specifics that compete with the continental 135hp engine - but it is MUCH lighter and likely simpler to overhaul and cheaper generally to buy and run.  They should consider putting this thing into the M10.  It would also make an exciting choice for twins such as for example the Diamond DA42 if that company would ever consider such a switch (unlikely).