Advice for LONG summer X-country to Midwest

DXB

As a 150 hr VFR pilot working to extend my comfort zone, I'm preparing for a 800-900 mile flight to the thunderstorm-laden Midwest.   I've never gone beyond 250sm, and my longer trips so far have all been in excellent weather, so this is a big jump for me.   It seems impossible in the summer to get to the midwest from the east coast without some risk of T-storms en route.  For those who recall making this type of jump in complexity of VFR trip, is there any specific advice you would offer?  I want to be safe, but not so conservative that I don't learn much from the experience.

I've studied the forecasts for days, left myself generous time windows on both ends of the trip, planned multiple possible routes depending on where the storms end up being, and am prepared to split it over two or even three days if warranted.  I also have the great benefit of weather data and radar picture from a Stratus 2.  Also the trip isn't so important that I couldn't just cancel it and head home if it's not panning out.  

Just completed a Texas to South Dakota VFR round trip.  If you have extra days, it is very do-able.  (thunderstorms rarely stay in a fixed spot the entire day)  Just plan to set them out along the way

Alternatively, plan on a couple of extra hours in route dodging the cells.  

We did have a couple of hours of VFR over the top each way, but there were large areas of clear skies on each side

I would be very hesitant to launch without some kind of on-board weather advisory (ADS-b of XM) just to keep an eye on what lies ahead.  I fly towards the clear/unlimited areas.  

It is entirely possible, and it sounds like you already have the proper attitude.  A long XC is nothing more than one or two or three shorter XC trips linked together.  You have to look at forecasts over a larger swath of the country of course, but the attitude, planning, and skills are the same.  Having onboard WX is crucial, especially for VFR, in my opinion.  Generally speaking, flying earlier in the day if preferential, but storms can happen any time of course.  They're rarely so widespread that you cannot get around them, or land short and wait a couple of hours, etc.

Enjoy the trip!  It is a great feeling to travel airline distances in your own plane on your own schedule.  I've flown from KS to both coasts and lots of points in between and have only been stranded for 2 nights on one trip due to widespread icing in late May.  (I do have the IR, though, but it doesn't help with thunderstorms!)

Dev - fly early morning. If you haven't figured out skew-ts, spend some time to learn them and the CAPE predictions. Good indicator of storm potential.

3aa432a01e93986b307552eaaff86cd6.jpg

The Lockheed Martin weather site has some great tools.

I look at the Lifted Index / K Factor Index:

8b3da0505d8be9437d45c68fbce507c3.jpg

The CCFP:

6d3d8540e43cccc88fe484ad0054db73.jpg

In flight, if you don't have a StormScope, you certainly want to be careful getting yourself boxed in. ATC has better weather tools than 25 years ago, as does the fact that you can carry ADS-B In weather.

My motto -- "when in doubt, wait it out"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Very doable, your ADS-B weather will be of great help. The main thing you need is FLEXIBILITY, never set a schedule then feel you can't deviate from it, time or landing field.

Before you go get a handle on the weather. I wouldn't launch unless the weather was O.K. for a fair amount of the trip, no need for the whole way.

Besides ceiling and visibility, check winds, surface and at altitude. If the surface winds are 300/28, I'd kinda like rwy 29-31 or so.

Most days, at least some part of it is great for flying. You need to 'make hay while the sun shines' so to speak. Usually the earlier A.M. and evening are best. You also have the longer sun into the evening. If you are ever in doubt about fuel, stop and fuel up.

These are the kinds of trips that really help expand your pilot skill set. Having ADS-B onboard is very helpful but, not mandatory. Absolutely use flight following along the way. They can help with weather as well as traffic. Don't hesitate to ask if you see a cell in your line of flight. ATC has told me more than once that it would be a good idea to just land and wait it out. Some of my more memorable stops were unexpected diversions for weather. Meet some of the most interesting people sometimes that way.

As stated before, a long x country is just a series of shorter trips. Be open minded for unexpected events and enjoy the ride.

Tim

don't forget to use the 'hidden gem' that people often overlook..........ASK atc.  last weekend I flew from charlotte to myrtle, clearly not a long xc, but there were a few cells I was looking out for.  I mentioned to, oh, I think it was Florence approach at the time that I didn't have onboard wx and any advisories would be appreciated.  they were happy to provide them.

of course, this is no substitute for planning and all the other things it sounds like you are already doing.  enjoy your trip!

In thinking back across the long (500 mile+) cross countries I have made, the vast majority could have easily been made VFR.  As long as you have time/flexibility in your schedule, you should be fine.   Most of the time, waiting 24 hours will resolve any weather issues.  --Stationary weather patterns are the exception, which can last weeks, so keep an eye out for those.   And remember, a strait line is not always the best path.

As others have said, you seem to have the right attitude and approach.  Just take things one flight at a time. Actually, in the summer months for those of us with normally aspirated engines, I think VFR w/Flight Following is the best way to go.  This gives you a lot more flexibility to pick your routes but also keep ATC as  your ace in the hole. Just be advised that there are some parts of the country where if you're too low (or they're too busy) you may not be able to get FF. Even if they kick you out of the system, just ask them for the frequency to use in the next sector and you can try to set it up again.

My strategy depends on the type of weather in front of me. If they are isolated cells, I'll stay as high as I can and steer around them. However, if the clouds have all coalesced at normal altitudes but otherwise there are still open spaces (meaning no heavy precip), I'll stay low and fly beneath them and avoid the angry rain shafts. This is where your ADS-B can be helpful, but just remember that picture is 10-15 minutes old, so your Mark One Eyeball is the better judge.

Of course, cells that have coalesced into a squall line or a gust front with no breaks are to be avoided in our little planes. Best turn away from them if you can't give them a wide berth by circumnavigating. The good news is they generally pass quickly, so you could even just wait it out at the nearest airport and take off again. There is nothing more fun than taking off into the crystal clear air that follows a squall line and flying off into the sunset!

I went VFR from Alabama to Denver in the middle of the summer. It is very doable. Leave early and be flexible. If you do that, you will be fine. Start to get worried if you are feeling you have to be somewhere at a certain time for a certain thing. Enjoy the trip and realize the journey can be more fun than the destination when you have a Mooney!

In the mid-west, if the radar shows a line of thunderstorms you probably should not try to fly through it.  I flew up to one once and it was a vicious wall of boiling weather with lightening shooting out at all levels.  I turned around and landed.  After the line passed, with buckets of water coming down and very strong winds, I flew on to Chicago.  It was about five hundred miles wide so flying around it was not a possibility.  I have never seen such a thing here in the Southeast.

The biggest thing I've found is that be willing/flexible in your schedule to wait out the weather.  If you have to land prior to your destination, look at it as an opportunity to learn/explore the city you're stranded.  Look at it as an opportunity, not an inconvenience.  Last year on our way up to Oshkosh, we ended up spending two days in Jefferson City.  We left after two day's with new friends and fantastic memories. 

Life is an adventure so enjoy the trip.

Go west young man...

From where you are, R&R H of F is in Cleveland along the waterfront. (Thank Alan for this suggestion)

Next stop, Chicago.

Still going West, a couple of pilots are getting together in a place called Oshkosh.

At a minimum, expect to stop and talk to people on the ground. Get some fuel, Use their computer, get weather updates, borrow a car, eat some local food.

Sure you can use the adsb and your cell phone to do that. You can stay home and use FSX too!

Share your plan as you go.

Go meet some cool people,

-a-

Plan your route to not be far away from a good divert field.  Always leave yourself an out and don't count on just being able to turn around.  Have plan B and C and D ready to go....

I fly coast to coast at times in small planes and I find (like most pilots) the more planning you do on the ground the easier the flight is.  I never want to waste brain cells on my flying days.  The most difficult thing you want to do on your flying day is showing up to the airport early with food and rested.

Go west young man...

From where you are, R&R H of F is in Cleveland along the waterfront. (Thank Alan for this suggestion)

Next stop, Chicago.

Still going West, a couple of pilots are getting together in a place called Oshkosh.

At a minimum, expect to stop and talk to people on the ground. Get some fuel, Use their computer, get weather updates, borrow a car, eat some local food.

Sure you can use the adsb and your cell phone to do that. You can stay home and use FSX too!

Share your plan as you go.

Go meet some cool people,

-a-

The best part about flying in the midwest is wide-open spaces without a lot of traffic or controlled airspace to deal with.  Cleveland and Chicago may be interesting destinations but they are both Bravo airspace.  I would recommend finding some stops based on fuel prices and local restaurants.  Some of the best airports in the midwest have courtesy car keys hanging on a hook in an unattended FBO building.  No ATC, no security, and the only other traffic is a Cub with a handheld comm.

There are no secrets:

1. Expect to have to land, wait, divert, spend the night-As stated opportunities for adventure

2. Get up early. Like BEFORE the sun is up. Best/smoothest/clearest flying is EARLY. Not 8AM...Launch at sunrise...and enjoy

3.ADSB weather AFTER on ground brief/update a MUST.

4.Take what altitude you can get VFR. Higher is cooler/cheaper and faster...BUT going West it might be slower, but COOLER is more important than saving gas on a long cross country where it is hot/humid/oppressive down low in the Midwest humidity. High ='s Ahhhhh...NICE.

5. Plan some interesting "Maybe" stops that have courtesy cars (There is an Ap for that) and interesting things to do...while you wait.

Be retired. The time pressure crunch can be a "killer"...

Good luck. Have fun. I have flown hours to NOT be able to get to my destination. Result? I got to fly for hours...something I love.

• Like 2

The best part about flying in the midwest is wide-open spaces without a lot of traffic or controlled airspace to deal with.  Cleveland and Chicago may be interesting destinations but they are both Bravo airspace.  I would recommend finding some stops based on fuel prices and local restaurants.  Some of the best airports in the midwest have courtesy car keys hanging on a hook in an unattended FBO building.  No ATC, no security, and the only other traffic is a Cub with a handheld comm.

Landed right next to Lake Erie (Burke?) and walked to Rock and Roll Museum. Very cool visit in Cleveland. The warehouse district (old wood buildings repurposed for eateries/shops etc.) was awesome. Remember hearing Spin Doctors (performing outside) while walking around people watching. Cool flying out over lake on way in to airport.

• Like 1

Last year coming back from Oskosh to Houston,  Checked and planned with the weather - noted that one day earlier would be the best option. I hated to cut it short but that would be the best for me.  I wanted to leave Wisconsin early and make it home about 12, checking the route again changed the departure time based on TAF's I was seeing (MVFR) at my intended time.  I delayed for two hours as that was when it was expected to go VFR - but even then I had a plan to land and sit in the Dallas area for things to clear (Dallas was expected clear VFR)

As things turned out Houston cleared up later than expected, we landed in the Dallas area as planned had a relaxing lunch break and waited for things to lift.   Worked out as just fine, cutting the trip a day short eliminated get homeitis and was the best decision as weather along the route turned worse 

• Like 1

I've done so many VFR cross country trips, I've lost count. I'm just a private pilot, non instrument rated. And, I only fly in near perfect conditions. I'll gladly wait out weather. 

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the vast majority of the time, it's been smooth sailing. I only get weathered about 2 times per year. Of course, my "luck" includes good planning and waiting for good weather. 

At a quick glance, tomorrow looks like I could fly from Florida to California without much trouble. 

• Like 1

I've done so many VFR cross country trips, I've lost count. I'm just a private pilot, non instrument rated. And, I only fly in near perfect conditions. I'll gladly wait out weather. 

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the vast majority of the time, it's been smooth sailing. I only get weathered about 2 times per year. Of course, my "luck" includes good planning and waiting for good weather. 

At a quick glance, tomorrow looks like I could fly from Florida to California without much trouble. 

A few days before Sun N Fun this year I flew from Los Angeles to Lakeland and never even saw a cloud.  It was unreal.  9500 feet the whole way......and not even high altitude cirrus.  This was over 3 days

• Like 1

Last week you would have big trouble, I guess timing is everything. Hoping it holds out as I'm making the trip next week.

CarolAnn Garratt is on another of her adventures as we type. (If you haven't heard of her, google is your friend)

Her and a friend are flying their taildraggers (her's is a Rans) from Gainsville Fl. to Alaska this time. Her blog is here

Just thinking back a few years. I was weathered in TN. I had flown to a private strip with one or two homes on it. I tied down and went on my way planning a few days in the cabin. By the time I was ready to leave, the fog had moved in. I ended up staying a number of unplanned days. It was absolutely horrible, hahahaha, NOT.  My boss was calling me on a hourly basis trying to get me to come home. I politely declined. I then enjoyed a few days of 4 wheeling, exploring, hiking, and so on. By the time I left, I was quite satisfied with the trip :) 

Oh, and the 700 mile trip home was remarkably clear. I guess I waited long enough. 

My point is this, quite often, it's OK to have a weather delay if you stop at the right location and make sure to enjoy the time there.