Short field landing technique M20E

ncdmtb

Ugggh, There's the issue Bob!

Simply misreading/transcribing the chart can cause a huge problem.....

C 660' and 1910'

I have updated my error, but I can't update my error in your copy....

Similar distance comparisons can be found for long bodies of various HPs 10% more hp can cut 30% off the take off distance. Porsche powered L vs O3 is a tremendous difference of about 20%...

I currently use a safety factor of 2X....

-a-

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I got some more information on the runway. It has a really long displaced threshold, making the effective landing distance almost 2.300' (see the google maps picture). So it doesn't seem quite as dramatic as it did on first glance. But I will most likely drop off the passengers at a different airport (unfortunately a 60min car ride away) and then fly in in on my own.

I'll sleep over it ;-) The flight would be tomorrow. I am heading in for an airshow. I'll take my virb and post (if I decide to do the trip....)

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question. I am not sure. My best guess - it is an airport for gliders. There are a few engine planes stationed there to tow the gliders. The extended threshold is use to set up the glider being towed. I think the surface is no different then the "runway".

The displacement may be that part of the runway construction is unable to handle the weight of heavier planes.

A similar looking displacement at my home drome would allow using that part for take-off, but not for landing.

Knowing the local rules could be helpful...

Not knowing them, could be il-received by the gliding brethren...

-a-

The temp will probably be 70F and the elevation 2000'

Looks like 64 with light westerly winds...good conditions if not raining. Give the extra runway, you could cheat a little and aim for the last arrow, by time you touchdown you would be close enough to the numbers to not get anybody upset. Also, looks like no obstacles to worry about.

If it's raining, then I rethink it and have a plan B

Bob B is right on.. If I want to land in a short field I plan on touchdown about 100 ft short of the threshold then use power at min speed (65MPH) to hold it up to the threshold. I've landed in about 600 ft with this technique. The key is to get the plane slow EARLY on final and use power to get to the runway.

BILL

Even if the performance data say's the airplane is capable of doing it, you've got to make your that you are capable of flying the airplane "as published" using the same techniques, procedures, profiles and speeds as given in the performance section/charts of the POH. If you can't duplicate what is shown in the POH, those performance numbers go out the window.

The correct short field technique for a Mooney is precisely the same as it is for any other light airplane - cross the fence at precisely the correct speed for your weight (and that speed does vary by weight), touch down at the beginning of the runway power off and finally get on the brakes and get the flaps coming up to get as much weight on the wheels as quickly as you can.

The question becomes one of the pilot's personal skill and ability - can he reliable (as in every time) put the airplane down at the beginning of the runway at the appropriate speed? Can he apply the maximum amount of braking that will not result in locking up the wheels?  Even if the answer to those questions is YES, there is also the question of "Can we take back off from the aforementioned short field?" Don't make the mistake of thinking short field = soft field when it comes to takeoffs unless you're trying to have the YouTube video of your attempted takeoff go viral. If you don't know the precise approach speed for your particular weight and/or if you can't put the wheels on the runway at the exact end of a short runway and/or if you have a problem applying the maximum possible amount of braking without sliding a tire, maybe minimum runway operations aren't for you.  

That actually looks like at least 3000 ft of ground without any obstructions.  You can easily flare before the touchdown zone on either end and allow your float to get you to it.  On take off, you can use the entire displaced threshold for the take roll.  It looks pretty simple from the picture.