Anyone upgrading with Aspen PFDs?

Lew,

Sorry to hear about the HSI squawk.  As with any potentially expensive repair you're doing the right thing to ask around.  I'd get 2-3 quotes and then balance the cost of repairing the status quo with the upgrade to glass.  Again, prices seem to be coming down as Aspen and the avionics shops try for more business in the down economy.  

Update: since the return of my Century IIB A/P to service on 25 May, I've flown 5 cross countries.  The Aspen in GPS steering mode drives the aircraft on the straightest tracks I've ever flown.  I did some before/after comparisons using flightaware.com to confirm the difference between my hand flying and Aspen GPSS.  I also experimented with the Cent IIB in Omni & Nav modes (GPSS off) and found they didn't feel as precise as Hdng Mode with the GPSS active.  I also found the system did a great job piloting ILS & GPS approaches.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait after Oshkosh and go with kfd 840 and ksn770 if you need gps nav comm.   Forget the G500. IMO it's not worth it.  It's merely a stripped down g600 and it's Garmin's way of attacking the Aspen.  I don't like the Aspen because I think it's too small.  Size does matter in a PFD.  The KFD 840 is perfecr t and it does what a PFD is meant to do without all the extra junk and clutter.  

Wait after Oshkosh and go with kfd 840 and ksn770 if you need gps nav comm.   Forget the G500. IMO it's not worth it.  It's merely a stripped down g600 and it's Garmin's way of attacking the Aspen.  I don't like the Aspen because I think it's too small.  Size does matter in a PFD.  The KFD 840 is perfecr t and it does what a PFD is meant to do without all the extra junk and clutter.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have 100 hours since our major avionics upgrade including the Aspen.  I mated it to a Garmin 430 WAAS and GMX 200.  Also installed a JPI.  Since we do long IFR legs in the Western states, I chose to leave the key legacy instruments in the aircraft as backup. Also, choose to not relocate A/I and HSI as I wanted to be able to rely on my habitual IFR scan in case of trouble with the new avionics.  While I have not had any problems with the install or new boxes at all, I am glad I kept two of the most important instruments in their usual places.

The Aspen is a great addition to serious IFR work.  The GPSS automatic turns at waypoints on the flight plan make IFR workload easier especially while solid IMC and staying ahead of bumps and ice.  The air data computer information for wind speeds and direction was one of the reasons I opted for this unit.  That information is very helpful when flying in the 15,000 to 18,000 altitudes where we find ourselves most often.  While the aural warning on altitude deviation is a promised upgrade to the unit that will be welcomed, the current visual warning on the box is quite effective.  Also, the heading bug for autopilot operation when not in GPSS mode is very simple and quick to orient even in bumpy clouds.

In my view, the GMX 200 is one of the most important tools for serious IFR work. Especially when flying over some of the vast expanses of the West.  Added to the other panel upgrades as well as Monroy long range fuel that we installed at about the same time as the panel upgrade, we have a very capable long range flyer.

post-286-13468138336631_thumb.jpg

post-286-13468138337615_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Welcome to the board.  Very nice upgrades and interesting thought process of what to keep and where to put things.  You have a very efficient layout with vac and electronic back-up, with side by side comparison.

Best regards,

- anthony -

I'm really enjoying my Aspen, though I am on unit #2.  The first one kept trying to use the backup battery.

Some annoying tid-bits...  The tapes don't always match the round gauges, which is most annoying with altitude (20-60ft diff).  The auto-brightness is too bright at night and always has to be turned down manually.  The glideslope indicator is up top in the AI instead of down low in the HSI, but that's just a matter of preference for me, as I'm used to it being down low.

One note to anyone using a yoke mount of any kind:  be sure not to push the yoke all the way forward while turning the ailerons, as this will cause the yoke mount to slam into the bezel of the Aspen display.  Found that out on unit #1 - happened at run-up during control surface check.  May only be an issue on vintage mooneys.

post-41-13468138339593_thumb.jpg

Quote: eaglebkh

Some annoying tid-bits...  The tapes don't always match the round gauges, which is most annoying with altitude (20-60ft diff).  The auto-brightness is too bright at night and always has to be turned down manually.  The glideslope indicator is up top in the AI instead of down low in the HSI, but that's just a matter of preference for me, as I'm used to it being down low.

Quote: ProprAire

Work with your installer to check the set up page.  I had a slight deviation between level flight on my Attitude Indicator and my Aspen.  A couple of clicks of adjustment and the Aspen PFD now matches the steam guages perfectly.

Dan

I'm really enjoying my Aspen, though I am on unit #2.  The first one kept trying to use the backup battery.

One note to anyone using a yoke mount of any kind:  be sure not to push the yoke all the way forward while turning the ailerons, as this will cause the yoke mount to slam into the bezel of the Aspen display.  Found that out on unit #1 - happened at run-up during control surface check.  May only be an issue on vintage mooneys.

Quote: Cruiser

According to the latest version of the pilot guide ver2'x it is displayed as overlaid on the HSI on the EFD1000 Pro PFD

Traffic Symbols

The EFD1000 Pro PFD will display intruders prioritized in the order received from the configured traffic sensor. The EFD1000 Pro PFD includes three threat levels using TCAS symbology; traffic advisory (amber circle), proximity advisory (cyan diamond), and other traffic (hollow cyan diamond). All intruders within the current display range and the selected altitude filter are shown. Intruders generating a traffic advisory with range and bearing data are displayed as a traffic symbol at the location representing its position relative to the ownship symbol

Ingenius way for showing the traffic. Thanks for the info.

José

That is one option, but which one is correct - digital or round?  I'm sure with the AI that your gyro was correct, as you can just verify level flight by noting any heading change or turn rate during coordinated flight.  But with airspeed and alt, just calibrating one to the other doesn't garauntee the right answer.  As annoying as it is, having 2 different answers is just the result have taking 2 independent measurements with different measuring devices...

• 2 months later...

This thread may be dead.  If that is the case, disregard.  201DF is in the shop now for it's Aspen install.  A small shop in Muskogee OK is doing it.  Same bunch that did all my Garmin work last year.  I was going to push this to next year but with the rebate from Aspen of 1000$,  I decided to move this year.  Will post after I pick it up.  

Quote: steelerp

This thread may be dead.  If that is the case, disregard.  201DF is in the shop now for it's Aspen install.  A small shop in Muskogee OK is doing it.  Same bunch that did all my Garmin work last year.  I was going to push this to next year but with the rebate from Aspen of 1000$,  I decided to move this year.  Will post after I pick it up.  

This thread may be old and tired.  But,  I pick mine up Oct 1.  I allowed for two weeks and he had it done in one.  Same shop (and tech) that did my Garmin install.  Great price....Great shop.  If you aren't set on a shop yet,  try Davis Field Aviation (918-682-4101).  Ask for Mike or Nate.  I have had zero problems with the Garmin install from last year and expect the same on the Aspen. 

Another Aspen comming on line.

After reading quite a bit I decide to go with the Aspen and sell off my HSI and related equipment. The shop I am using had a fellow interested in the HSI but now he is having second thoughts and thinking about an Aspen himself.  Since my pannel has a KLN-90A non approach GPS I will be putting in a Garmin 430W at the same time. I'll try to sell off the 90A along with an Argus 3000 moving map to help recoup some more of the cost of the Aspen (not much, I know.) I'll also be selling off the King 155 radio. 

The shop has done Aspen installs and they just completed one on a 201 so I hope they have the estimate down fairly well. Attached are a pic of the current panel and a (bad) cut-n-paste of what I am thinking it will look like after the operation.

post-296-13468138760506_thumb.jpg

post-296-13468138761028_thumb.jpg

IMO, a single Aspen has enough on it, and traffic and weather should be viewed elsewhere.

BTW, what are you guys seeing as an installed price for an Aspen 1000 Pro? Down here it seems to run about $10.5K, less trade-ins and rebates. The trade in for my HSI is about $1.5K, and the current Aspen rebate is $1K, I believe. Flush mounting costs another $700.