GTN-650 versus GTN-750

Jsavage3

I have the 650. There are a few operational differences that you should be aware of:

1)  The 750 displays the default nav CDI on the Map page. In the 650 this is two separate pages.

2)  The 750 shows the NAV frequency all the time. The 650 does not. It can be important during an ILS or VOR approach to verify and identify your nav source. In the 650 you must press the knob to switch the display from com freq to nav freq. Sure, good proceedure will eliminate this issue, but it's one extra thing that needs to be done.

3)  The 750 can display your nav plates, the 650 cannot.

4)  If you get something like a GDL88 and want to display traffic and weather on the map, the 650 display gets awfully crowded fast.

I am happy with my 650, since I have a 796 right next to it in the panel for the "big" display. But as I've gotten to use the 650 for the last 150 hours, I have realized these shortcomings that I didn't totally appreciate when I made the choices.

Larry

I agree with you. I have the 650 and didn't realize I could have removed the old KMA-24 audio panel and put in the 750. I have the 696 for the big display as well. I can definitely live with it, it is more of a convenience thing than any lack of functionality.

One other thing to consider.  If you are planning on using a remote audio panel and remote transponder being controlled by a 750 to make room for the 750, you then have the potential for a single failure (the 750) to take out your GPS, one comm, your audio panel, and your transponder.  While the 750 is nice, I do not like the idea of controlling multiple remote boxes through one input.  Add the extra cost of the 750 over the 650 and we went with the 650.  If money was no object and I had room to keep the separate audio and xponder, I would have favored the 750.

• Like 1

One other thing to consider. If you are planning on using a remote audio panel and remote transponder being controlled by a 750 to make room for the 750, you then have the potential for a single failure (the 750) to take out your GPS, one comm, your audio panel, and your transponder. While the 750 is nice, I do not like the idea of controlling multiple remote boxes through one input. Add the extra cost of the 750 over the 650 and we went with the 650. If money was no object and I had room to keep the separate audio and xponder, I would have favored the 750.
Bennett who owns a remote audio panel with a 750 says that the default failure mode switches the Comm to the #2 radio. I'm in the camp with you. I wondered about if the 750 failed, how do you get the audio confirmation for an ILS signal on the number 2 Nav if you don't have a second GPS to rely on. Another thing to consider if you do need to have the 750 worked on, all those remote boxes are not useable.

One other thing to consider.  If you are planning on using a remote audio panel and remote transponder being controlled by a 750 to make room for the 750, you then have the potential for a single failure (the 750) to take out your GPS, one comm, your audio panel, and your transponder. 

Another thing you would lose is all of the great navigational information displayed on the top two lines of the unit, such as desired track, distance, ground speed etc. In its place would be intercom and transponder fields.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the 750 and the 650 setup for a few months now and I like the 750 better. I do use them both though. I really like the cross-flll function. I also enjoy the V-calc function which is available on both the 750 and the 650.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good looking new panel, Aron!

• Like 1

Nice panel Oscar. How do you like the ESV on your 1000? I see that your are WOT at 11000 with 26 Side knots,

I would rather have that as a tailwind. :~)

Aron

I really like the ESV. I am currently in Guatemala, where Radar services and VFR charts are not comparable to US. So you are basically on your own most of the times. Considering the number of Volcanos and mountains that are around the area...he ESV helps a lot. Yeah, tailwinds would be wonderful, but as we all know they never disappear.... The main problem I have with my M20C is that the airport is at 5000 feet and temp are above normal most of the times, which means that I have a HARD TIME climbing, with CHTs way to high. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, my bird is back (finally) and I am quite pleased with the outcome.  Other than taking substantially longer than anticipated, the quality of the installation is solid, the price was 2nd to none and the warranty is essentially "forever" on the shop's work.  I am thankful I went with the 750, especially after having used it a couple of times so far!

The 750 is just magic.  The 60PSS is good, although not as 'crisp' in vertical navigation as I would have liked...perhaps my getting more time with it will help any operator error type of sloppiness.  It does work great in cruise though!  The Icarus GPSS is magic too, although it has far more "possible capabilities" than I would have liked.  I wanted a GPSS system that was a one-button push (GPSS on or GPSS off) and this GPSS system does do just that....I just mute the system so I don't have to listen to it offer everything else it claims it can do.  Maybe when I get real bored, I'll start playing with it a bit...

Now I'm trying to decide which subscriptions I need versus want.  The price tag for these different services are higher than I was anticipating.  I'm considering the nav data for the 750 and Foreflight for charts.  $1060/year is what Garmin quoted me for the pilot pack...

Thanks for everyone's feedback in helping my through this upgrade process!

Here's a picture of my new panel.

post-7681-0-92695100-1388246364_thumb.jp

To those with the 750/650 combo and no panel transponder, can you control the transponder with either unit in case of one or the other dies? I would really like to have a 750, but just can not justify it given I just buzz around VFR these days. Maybe someday.

To those with the 750/650 combo and no panel transponder, can you control the transponder with either unit in case of one or the other dies? I would really like to have a 750, but just can not justify it given I just buzz around VFR these days. Maybe someday.

I'm currently upgrading my panel and am putting in the Garmin GTX 330ES.  My installer is configuring it to be controlled by either the 750 or 650 or the unit itself.  So the answer is yes.

Very nice indeed! Got to wonder about the ADF though?? Do you fly outside the US a lot?

The ADF will go away at some point, but I elected to hang onto it for now.  I deliberately setup the right-half of my panel (Aera-560, ADF & transponder) in such a manner as to make it convenient for future upgrades...remote transponder via the 750 for sure and a 796 perhaps?

I don't want to "go crazy" with panel upgrades, but it sure is fun seeing the improvements and then sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your labor!  At 160 KTAS and 10 GPH I might add!!! Here's my chance to say "I love my Mooney" again!   :)

The ADF will go away at some point, but I elected to hang onto it for now.  I deliberately setup the right-half of my panel (Aera-560, ADF & transponder) in such a manner as to make it convenient for future upgrades...remote transponder via the 750 for sure and a 796 perhaps?

That's what I was thinking, but also could be ditch the Aera and ADF and put in a better engine monitor, like the MVP-50, or JPI 930.

That's what I was thinking, but also could be ditch the Aera and ADF and put in a better engine monitor, like the MVP-50, or JPI 930.

I have the UBG-16 w/ FF on the left side...directly above the storm scope and below the gear handle...it seems to suite me so far, but I like your ideas!

• Like 1