Disappointed that I can't rent the Mooney

kujo806

I have had Mooney's on my mind since I started my PPL training a few years back.  The sleek looks and efficiency put them at the top of my list of aircraft that I would like to own.  Of course, I want to fly one before I go that far.  Several months back, I got to sit in a M20E, and take a closer look on the ground.  It actually put some doubt in my mind due to the cramped footwells, but it is hard to judge without flying it.  I was excited this past week to hear that my local FBO now had a M20J available for rent.  Unfortunately, when I asked about the rental requirements, the answer was 200hrs TT and 1mil/60k renters insurance.  I have a while to go to get to 200hrs (~140 currently), although I have about 30hrs complex in my arrow.  I was surprised that the renters insurance requirements were so high.  I carry basic renters, but 1mil/60k is quite a bit more expensive.  Considering I rarely rent, it doesn't seem worth it.  Is this premium renters insurance usually required to rent something fairly nice?  I guess I have some time to figure it out while I build my hours.  Sorry for the rant, I was just disappointed that I can't try out the Mooney at this point.

When I was thinking of buying a Mooney, I drove 100 miles each way to take a few lessons in an M20C.  Looking back, that was time well spent.  I was never allowed to fly that plane without an instructor, due to similar requirements, but the day I picked up my 201 I was able to fly it back and land at night without any problem.

I believe it is a leaseback.  I could understand being cautious renting your aircraft, but don't they carry insurance on it too?  In the event of an accident, which insurance company pays?

They do carry insurance and most likely their insurance won't cover you because you don't meet their minimums. As we all know, when accidents do happen, everyone gets sued. If I were looking to do a leaseback on my Mooney, I would want some additional coverage as well.

Another thing that may be happening is to weed out people who want to use it as a trainer for either complex or IFR training. I had a friend who did a leaseback on a CEssna 172. It was IFR equipped and he took it off leaseback the first time someone took a grease pencil to the instruments to point out holding patterns entries.

You could go an easier route, get into an aircraft partnership. The cost to insure on a flight school aircraft is 5 times higher than having a plane and flying it yourself, or with 2-4 others. Also, the M20E is a much smaller size compared to the J's or in my case the R's. I'm 6'' 8" and I fit great in the Ovation.

Mooney's are designed where your legs disappear under the panel.

If the FBO won't take care of you, contact the owner and ask him for a ride in his plane.  Someone at the airport knows who s/he is and it shouldn't be too difficult.  Failing that, make a post here asking for a ride somewhere in Iowa.  I'd offer but I'm not exactly close to you.

Keep in mind that if you take a ride in the right seat, there's a little more leg room width in the front left seat.

You should be able to rent it with an instructor without those TT requirements, and maybe without the insurance requirements too.  Go rent it a couple times and get a feel for it...money well spent.  Just be prepared to think faster than you do with the Arrow.   :P

PM Me...Glad to get yu up in my M20E so you can compare to your Arrow. I got my Complex training in Dave Pearson's arrow (fying out of now closed McBride) transition to a Mooney was/is easy from an Arrow. I prefer the space in my E to an Arrow...and the speed is significantly different...even with a three blade out front...

Glad you are still in the "hunt" for a Mooney. I have seen a few J models in hangers in Cedar Rapids...Just saw one at East T's...maybe someone is looking for a partner? To bad there is not a board for CID that you can post on...I like that idea of building time with an instructor in the J. That will really tell you if a Mooney is for you. Good luck! Let me know if you want to fly sometime,

Scott

Thanks for all the posts.  The FBO said I am welcome to do a few hours of dual time in it without meeting those requirements.  I plan to set that up soon, and get a feel for the M20J.  I definitely have you in mind Scott for any questions that come up. 

It is good to see a reasonably priced J nearby.  I am not shopping at this very moment, but depending on what happens in the near future, I may be.  For now I have a pretty sweet deal in an Arrow partnership.  Its not as sexy as a Mooney, but it is a relatively inexpensive time builder.  I will continue to follow this very informative forum, and report back on my Mooney impressions.