Rear seat heat vents?

My 65 E has no lower air vents for the rear seat passengers. These are the heat vents in the side panels, not the overhead ones. The scat tubing is in place on both sides, which comes from under the dash, is 1.25 in diameter and ends behind the side panels. Apparently the last time the interior was done and side panels replaced they were not hooked up and are now blowing air into the space between side panel and outside skin. I want to add the vents back, to give my kids at least a little heat back there if possible.

What did these vents look like initially? I am considering adding eyeball vents to side panels but none fit the 1.25 inch scat and I will likely need to fashion a reducer of some kind. Not sure what these looked like initially.

What do the outlets look like in others planes?

Thanks in advance for any insight here.

Rodney

on my 64 E, they have a short little piece of aluminium tube on the end where it extends out a hole in the bottom of the side panel.

Another piece extends into the baggage compartment...

I have a '66E so I assume yours is similar. Smaller dia SCAT hose runs behind side panels, down low, below door, etc. I'll guess it is 1", It has to be crushed a little to get side panels to fit against outer panel in some places. This pic should help... I'll look around to see if I have a pic of the outlet in the rear seat side panel.

post-8913-0-30495200-1368807246_thumb.jp

I did not find a pic of the outlet but here's a close up of the plumbing at the pilot side. The right hose goes to windshield, the left to the rear seats. (The other pic is for anyone who wondered if we were able to put the plane back together after seeing the first pic. :) )

post-8913-0-50444100-1368807873_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-11366200-1368807925_thumb.jp

clh, I think the baggage vents are cabin exhaust, but I could be wrong. Mine are plumbed to the outside vent shown in this pic above the wing.

The cabin exhaust is on the top near the hat rack. This is a tube that comes out just behind the rear seats. it is "T"ed to the heater scat hose.  I found it a little strange...

Also, I don't have the vents on the side of the fuselage like you do. The vent is on the top about 2 ft behind the inlet vent.

Thanks guys.. This is fascinating.

I do not have the side vents like Bob on my 65.

I do have a exhaust vent from hat rack to top of fuselage. I am not sure if it has a tee.

I do have 1.25 inch scat from down low on each side, but on the door side, there is a tee, right under the door. Nothing connected to 2 of outlets of the tee. No tee on pilot side. I was wondering why the tee was there and it didn't occur to me this could go all the way to top of hat rack to the exhaust. The tubing is long gone if it was ever there. What purpose would this serve?

I might have to look at hat rack exhaust now to satisfy my curiosity.

Rodney

On mine after the tee one branch comes out in the footwell of the back seat.  the other comes out on the baggage compartment floor just behind the rear seatback.  The only function I can see of the "baggage warmer" is to keep stuff from freezing?

The exhaust vent is on top of the hat rack is completely separate system.

They must have changed it sometime in late 65 or 66.  

I have a '66E so I assume yours is similar. Smaller dia SCAT hose runs behind side panels, down low, below door, etc. I'll guess it is 1", It has to be crushed a little to get side panels to fit against outer panel in some places. This pic should help... I'll look around to see if I have a pic of the outlet in the rear seat side panel.

That has to be one of the scariest pics I have seen in some time!

• Like 1