Door seal....

I have one in my plane that was installed years before I got it. It keeps the cockpit much quieter inflated than not inflated.

Jose (Piloto) likes to use weatherstripping from Home Depot. You may want to check that out as well.

Dave

The previous owner of mine added a Bob Fields door seal.  It's the first one of these that I've ever had, so don't have any others to compare it to, but it certainly is less draughty and quieter when inflated.  It takes four or five pumps of the bulb to inflate it, and a few times opening the door when forgetting to release the pressure don't appear to have marked it - it is however almost impossible to latch the door again without letting the pressure out.

No idea how much it cost, or how long it took to install, but I would certainly look into it if I was replacing a door seal anyway.

• 4 months later...

LEAKING DOOR SEAL ON RAMP?

One technique is to run a neopreme line with squeezable hand bulb with access from the baggage door.

Park on ramp in rain, close cabin door and open baggage door. A couple of squeezes and you are good to go.

Bob can help you out with this.

I have the Bob Fields unit in my Rocket, makes a BIG difference.  I have had a problem with it not shutting off at altitude.  (mine is automatic electric) I have spoken to Bob's son who now runs the business and he knows of the issue and the unit would have to be sent back and the pressure sensor exchanged to a 9.5 psi shut off rather the current 10.0 psi shut off sensor switch.  I just turn it off when I get to altitude if the on light is still on.  It hold the door seal fine with the pump off.

I also have a friend with a 210 and has a Field unit and he has discontinued using his because of concern of electrical fire with the pump up unit!!

I have the Bob Fields unit in my Rocket, makes a BIG difference. I have had a problem with it not shutting off at altitude. (mine is automatic electric) I have spoken to Bob's son who now runs the business and he knows of the issue and the unit would have to be sent back and the pressure sensor exchanged to a 9.5 psi shut off rather the current 10.0 psi shut off sensor switch. I just turn it off when I get to altitude if the on light is still on. It hold the door seal fine with the pump off. I also have a friend with a 210 and has a Field unit and he has discontinued using his because of concern of electrical fire with the pump up unit!!
I have one that is a manual version. Parking on the ramp, I would pump 2 or 3 pumps on the seal and then close the door.
  • Like 1

We have one, but our seal is so tight, that it is next to impossible to pump with the door closed. I ran a stethoscope around the door in flight and could find little to nothing in the way of wind noise so I just removed the bulb (hand pump) and left it at that. For whatever reason our plane is tight with just the seal. I don't know what it was like before, as I was about 13 when it was installed.