Sheet metal screw back-up clips

Its time for me to repair and replace several of the screws and clips in various places on my bird.  Can someone tell me the correct name of the small clips that clip on the sheet metal that the screw goes into.  I'm guessing that Aircraft Spruce would have them, but I've not had any success searching their website.  If someone has a better spot to buy them, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

I used to buy them from Aircraft Spruce. They did not have the small size used on my 65C doghouse.

Confirming Tinnermans is the key word. You can also get Tinnermans screws as well. They are sheet metal screws without the unnnecessary super sharp tip!

There are at least two types, one with a clip and one without. The clip holds the nut in place whithout the screw and is used on the belly panels.

The nuts tend to wear out, break or get crushed. Buy a handfull of the two most popular sizes (8, 10, 12,???). It will be an improvement for your sheet metal issues... I think the 8 is the small one for the dog house?

I used to buy a few pieces of hardware from my A&P when I couldn't find it at AS...

Hope this was helpful, it's an old fuzzy memory...which is better than the new fuzzy memories...

Best regards,

-a-

The ones that spruce sells are the longer style.  Chief has some that are the shorter style that are the same as the same length as the originals used on the belly.  The longer ones will work, they will just stick out a little more. 

My advice is to go around your plane or look in the parts manual and take an inventory of the different screws used and order several of each.  They are only a few cent each and you will be glad you have them later on.

• Like 1

My advice is to go around your plane or look in the parts manual and take an inventory of the different screws used and order several of each.  They are only a few cent each and you will be glad you have them later on.

I agree, the screws are always getting jammed or stripped from being taken out and put back in.  Since they are so cheap there is no excuse for trying to reuse marginal screws.

Can someone help a French Canadian from the north: What is the doghouse? Any picture? Why is it called this way? (I've seen this term all the time). I have asked my two Beagles the question but they don't speak French either.

(No wish to hijack the thread... just want to understand :-)

Yves

C-FQKM

Great thread , After you replace the fasteners , be careful not to overtighten them.... I found that using a drill driver with a clutch setting appropriate to the application , keeps me from overtightening them and breaking/stripping them....

Great thread , After you replace the fasteners , be careful not to overtighten them.... I found that using a drill driver with a clutch setting appropriate to the application , keeps me from overtightening them and breaking/stripping them....

Come on! Really?!! What kind of mechanic are you? Don't you know that all fasteners, regardless of type, size, or application should always be tightened until the veins in your neck pop out? If something should strip out, it's because it was cheaply made, that's all. There is no such thing as too much torque! ;)

• Like 2

Great thread , After you replace the fasteners , be careful not to overtighten them.... I found that using a drill driver with a clutch setting appropriate to the application , keeps me from overtightening them and breaking/stripping them....   Come on! Really?!! What kind of mechanic are you? Don't you know that all fasteners, regardless of type, size, or application should always be tightened until the veins in your neck pop out? If something should strip out, it's because it was cheaply made, that's all. There is no such thing as too much torque! ;)
Exactly, that is why I use a hammer drill on all of my airplane fasteners. Not mention using the red Loctite on the threads too. You're toooooo funny! :lol: Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Not mention using the red Loctite on the threads too.

Absolutely!! It's a great back up in case you were kind of weak, or tired on the day of assembly. Why tighten anything if you don't intend it to stay fastened forever? :P

If I use the drill/clutch method, I torque them with the drill set to just run them in and seat them. After all are in I go over each one with a screwdriver and hand tighter that last 1/4 turn or so. That way I know I got them all tight and don't have to second guess my drill's abilities.

What in the world are you talking about?! The best way to know a screw is properly torqued is to tighten until the metal that engages the screw driver breaks away. You do know that the splines on the Phillips screw are calibrated to shear at the proper torque spec for the screw, right? That's why they make them so small. If they were bigger, you'd have to go tighter and your arm would get tired and by the time you got done putting the belly pans back on, your drill would explode, or your arm would fail altogether and you'd drop your beer. That's why we fly certified planes. They think of all these little things and test them for us...

:P

What in the world are you talking about?! The best way to know a screw is properly torqued is to tighten until the metal that engages the screw driver breaks away. You do know that the splines on the Phillips screw are calibrated to shear at the proper torque spec for the screw, right? That's why they make them so small. If they were bigger, you'd have to go tighter and your arm would get tired and by the time you got done putting the belly pans back on, your drill would explode, or your arm would fail altogether and you'd drop your beer. That's why we fly certified planes. They think of all these little things and test them for us...

:P

But Dave, that's exactly how I felt after my first couple of annuals! Now, of course, I have a ratcheting screwdriver so I can still hold my beer when I get finished.

What in the world are you talking about?! The best way to know a screw is properly torqued is to tighten until the metal that engages the screw driver breaks away. You do know that the splines on the Phillips screw are calibrated to shear at the proper torque spec for the screw, right? That's why they make them so small. If they were bigger, you'd have to go tighter and your arm would get tired and by the time you got done putting the belly pans back on, your drill would explode, or your arm would fail altogether and you'd drop your beer. That's why we fly certified planes. They think of all these little things and test them for us... :P But Dave, that's exactly how I felt after my first couple of annuals! Now, of course, I have a ratcheting screwdriver so I can still hold my beer when I get finished.
You mean you wouldn't use a 1000 ft/lb hammer drill running in reverse to loosen all of Dave's properly tightened screws? ;)

I mean the first time, I thought I would never get all those screws out! Then back in again . . . .

Now I've bought bags of 100 of each size screw/washer and replace any that look bad. Removing/installing by hand insures they are properly threaded, and no more stripped out heads. Ratcheting driver was smart money! My Popeye forearms are beginning to shrink a little, too.

My next project will be doing something about the deteriorating doghouse.

OK seeing that we are all obsessing with screwology, Of course we must be obsessed with screws because we own Mooneys!

Every year at annual, I gather up all my screws, clean them in the parts washer and dry them off. Just before I put them back in I throw them in an old coffee cup, spray them with the lube of the day, shake it around and then screw them back in. They always come right out the next year.

The first year I annualed this plane I had to drill out way to many screws, couldn’t even get them out with the hammer drill. :angry:

• Like 1