Garmin Database Synch

Today I went to Garmin Aviation Database Manager, and clicked on “Update/Reinstall” as I have for a couple years, and I was presented with the option to do a “Synch update” where “the minimum number of SD cards are created to update the devices below,” and it listed my G3X and GTN750xi. However, the Garmin support site lists the GTN for Synch, but does not show the G3X.

Has anyone tried this? Do you plug the synched card into the GTN or G3X, or does it matter?

I chickened out and did separate cards for each device. 

Did you recently add a new device?  That may be why you haven't seen the Sync option before.

As for using it, yes, I've used the Sync option since I did my panel a few years ago.  I just need one SD Card for my GTN, GNC and GI275 (though I usually create a couple of them in case I get to the plane and find there's a problem with one of the SD Cards). 

The only thing you cannot sync is the Terrain database, but then updates for that are pretty rare (last one was Aug. 2020). If there is a Terran update, Garmin recommends creating an SD Card/USB drive for each device using the Standard Update option.  And to only check the Terrain update and do it separately from all other updates.  This may change with various Software updates, but at the moment this is how they recommend doing a Terrain update.

Just spoke to Garmin Aviation Support. It’s a “glitch” on the Garmin Aviation Database Manager page: the G3X will not support database transfer and never will because data transfer speeds are too low, so no Synch. That’s one of the limitations of the G3X. So, 2 SD cards needed. 

Garmin will fix the issue. 

6 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

It’s a “glitch” on the Garmin Aviation Database Manager

In other words, it's any regular day with this POS software. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

Just spoke to Garmin Aviation Support. It’s a “glitch” on the Garmin Aviation Database Manager page: the G3X will not support database transfer and never will because data transfer speeds are too low, so no Synch. That’s one of the limitations of the G3X. So, 2 SD cards needed. 

Garmin will fix the issue. 

I just went through Garmin Aviation Database Manager hell over the past two days. Not knowing any better (nor clearly thinking), I pressed the button to update the Windows app to the latest release. Mind you I did this a couple of hours before I was to file IFR and my current GTN 750 database had expired. After the update I could not start the application (version 24.7.1.0). I shutdown and rebooted, nada. I uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing. I finally gave in and opened a ticket with Garmin, who replied about an hour later. I was told that I need to install the latest Visual C++ redistribution pack. After the installation of that I was able to get into the GADM. Fast forward to today, I went to bring the program up and nada, couldn't do it. I uninstalled it and went to the Garmin site to see if an updated one was available and there was, 24.7.8. After a clean install it works, but who's to say it won't tomorrow?

Gotta be careful out there.

On 7/12/2024 at 2:32 PM, ArtVandelay said:

These seem to be Windows only issues, the Mac version has been pretty good, it required reformatting the sdcard after a update a few months ago but otherwise it seems ok.

My experience as well.  Updated the Database manager on a windows machine at my house and could not download anything to a card.  The Database manager would not even start up.  I didn't have the time to troubleshoot with Garmin so I went to my Macbook and it worked with no issues.  I dread every time I open up the windows version of the Database manager and it says there is an update.  I wonder what else will go wrong.  It happened today.  A different windows machine, the manager updated, went to download the database and it would stall out part way through the download.  I had to shut down the computer and reboot everything then it worked.  it had already done its own shut down after updating the database manager.  It seems these updates are put out to the public before they are really ready for primetime.

• 2 months later...

Count me as one of the unlucky window users but on called garmin found out unlike the newer systems, that tie the card to the device, the older GNS (read FNS530W) like mine garmin can not tie the card to the GNS so to keep people from “sharing” a database, they lockout 2 different cards updating to the same database cycle. You can alternate i. E. Have one card this month and used the second card when a new database cycle comes out. So that saves you making an extra trip back to the airport but you can not update both cards to the same database cycle for garmin’s fear two pilots could share one subscription because the gns does not check so the garmin aviation database manager has to “manage” the cards. I was hoping to have a backup card in case one fails to update or fails to read in the gns. Morel of this story update your card early so if there is a problem you have time to fix it before your IFR trip starts.
Guess good to know if you happen to have two different airplanes and both had GNS boxes you could just get one database subscription for both. This would not work for the later garmin navigators. 

You folks are working to hard with database updates. If you have a GTN, take advantage of the FS-510. No more messing with DB cards that no longer need to come out of the unit.
With the FS-510, all the data downloads to Garmin Pilot which then transfers it via wifi to the GTN. GTN then synch’s it with all your other Garmin devices seamlessly.
Don’t have a G3x, G500Txi user here , so if the G3x doesn’t synch i imagine this may not work either but anyone interested would have to check on that. But works well with my 2 GTN’s, G500 and GI-275.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk