Engine Monitor Placement

Hello,

I have no space on my M20E panel for an engine monitor. I do have two VORs. Should I lose a VOR, and put the monitor there? I like having two. But, with a GPS for location, one VOR/ILS would be enough I think.

My #2 CDI is way over on the right panel. I don't miss it - it's mainly there for cross-bearing checks anyway. 

I started out with the JPI on the right panel, where the Manifold pressure and tach were. I later moved it to the upper right corner of the main instrument panel (required cutting a new panel.) I'm very happy with that arrangement. 

IMG_8306.JPG

• Like 1

I killed my 2nd CDI when I redid my panel. I personally had not used it since owning the plane, I asked a handful of friends who fly regularly and are all IFR when the last time they used their 2nd CDI was and they all said "Pretty much never." I got rid of it and have yet to have needed it. On my M20E, I put a JPI 930 on the right-hand side. I'm not sure what all you have on your left side, but for one of the instrument hole drop-in engine monitors (GI-275, EI CGR-30, JPI 900) you usually can find a spot somewhere.

IMG_42462.JPG.9ca77fb628237cf60a80fab7d951d8ac.JPG

• Like 2

Having the RPM and MP data close to knobs that controls them is a nice to have…

This is especially helpful when you have vernier controls on the engine control knobs….

Dial the knob, watch for the result, undial the knob to the exact spot if gone too far.

having two VORs close together is important for the day you need to identify an intersection without your GPS working…

HSIs have mostly eliminated the second (pair) of VORs…

Multiple GPSi in the cockpit have removed the danger of having a single gps failure…

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guru…

Best regards,

-a-