ACK E-04 ELT

Fritz1

4 hours ago, philiplane said:

I highly recommend the Artex ELT-345. Great value. Great company with excellent support. Lower cost, longer life battery than all the others.

My shop also recommends the Artex (which I had installed) and shuns the ACK based on its problems.  

On 2/7/2024 at 9:10 PM, EricJ said:

Mine's been fine as well.   

Maybe I spoke too soon… tested mine today and got the 121.5 signal, but 5 beeps.  “High vswr”.  After flying and fiddling with the antenna connections, same result.  The internet seems to say that can happen with a cold battery and it was very cold, so I’m going to retest when it’s warmer. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:56 PM, EricJ said:

Also, while it isn't a bad idea, the G-test isn't strictly required.   My previous IAs never did it, and I don't do it.   There is obviously risk in doing it, not the least of which is that if you don't do it right and it transmits a 406 signal you might have the Air Force hunting you down to investigate.    This shouldn't happen if you use the test button on the RCPI to do the self test, since it transmits a test signal in that case that is distinct from the signal transmitted after a G-induced activation.

Eric, Isn’t this specifically required by 91.207 d3?  They call it crash sensor, but I assumed that to be the G switch.  Like you, I really dislike doing it and always fear it will latch on when I don’t want it to, but thought the regulation drove it.  There used to be some guidance that also suggested that 121.5 be tested with an AM radio tuned off frequency…….I’m probably dating myself there, since I can’t define that anymore…..so may be doing the same with regard G switch check..

2 hours ago, takair said:

Eric, Isn’t this specifically required by 91.207 d3?  They call it crash sensor, but I assumed that to be the G switch.  Like you, I really dislike doing it and always fear it will latch on when I don’t want it to, but thought the regulation drove it.  There used to be some guidance that also suggested that 121.5 be tested with an AM radio tuned off frequency…….I’m probably dating myself there, since I can’t define that anymore…..so may be doing the same with regard G switch check..

Apparently some interpret it that way.   Most people I know (including every other IA that has inspected my airplane) just use the test switch and verify it on a radio.   I just did mine today.   

3 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

My ACK04 had 5 beeps on the test so I had to send it in and they replaced the RF chip in it. You will probably have to send it in.

Thanks.  That’s good to know because there’s no real troubleshooting in their documentation.  I’ll try with a warmer battery first and then call them if it’s still giving me the same issue.

21 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

remember the ACK has 3 batteries to change.  I did mine a couple of days ago....they recommend the types to use on their site.  No duracell due to leaking issues.

I notice they suggest 5- or 10-year intervals depending on which batteries you have.  Do you change all yours at the same time?

4 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I notice they suggest 5- or 10-year intervals depending on which batteries you have.  Do you change all yours at the same time?

I did this time and used the batteries they suggest.  But one of them came from amazon with an expiration date of 1/29 and the other has no date on it at all of any kind.  Of course the main battery has a manufactured date and an expiration date.  I will just change them all again in 5 years when I do the main.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Thanks.  That’s good to know because there’s no real troubleshooting in their documentation.  I’ll try with a warmer battery first and then call them if it’s still giving me the same issue.

My install manual includes the beep codes.   5 beeps does mean something is wrong with the amplifier section.

A series of 2 – 5 fast beeps, a 2 second delay, and the beep series repeating again indicates there is a self test function that has returned a trouble condition. The ELT will not be disabled, but it should be inspected by a qualified avionics facility as soon as possible. The trouble code returns a series of beeps with a two second delay, and then the trouble code is repeated one more time. The first beeps alert you that there is a trouble condition. The two second delay is to allow you to be ready to count the second set of beeps. Trouble code sequence: 2-5 beeps — two second delay — 2-5 beeps

TROUBLE CODES: 2 BEEPS→ BATTERY LOW 3 BEEPS→ LOW RF POWER 4 BEEPS→ FREQUENCY NOT LOCKED 5 BEEPS→ HIGH VSWR OR HIGH CURRENT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

My install manual includes the beep codes.   5 beeps does mean something is wrong with the amplifier section.

A series of 2 – 5 fast beeps, a 2 second delay, and the beep series repeating again indicates there is a self test function that has returned a trouble condition. The ELT will not be disabled, but it should be inspected by a qualified avionics facility as soon as possible. The trouble code returns a series of beeps with a two second delay, and then the trouble code is repeated one more time. The first beeps alert you that there is a trouble condition. The two second delay is to allow you to be ready to count the second set of beeps. Trouble code sequence: 2-5 beeps — two second delay — 2-5 beeps

TROUBLE CODES: 2 BEEPS→ BATTERY LOW 3 BEEPS→ LOW RF POWER 4 BEEPS→ FREQUENCY NOT LOCKED 5 BEEPS→ HIGH VSWR OR HIGH CURRENT

Curious.  I may have an out-of-date manual, but mine says that 5 beeps is:

"Check to make sure the ELT is connected to one of our two approved antennas.  Check the coax cable from the ELT to antenna.  Make sure the antenna has a proper ground plane and is not in close proximity of metal surfaces.  Check ELT battery condition."

EDIT:  I looked again, and I see the language you quoted in column 1 of the "beep table".  The language I quoted is from column 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Curious.  I may have an out-of-date manual, but mine says that 5 beeps is:

"Check to make sure the ELT is connected to one of our two approved antennas.  Check the coax cable from the ELT to antenna.  Make sure the antenna has a proper ground plane and is not in close proximity of metal surfaces.  Check ELT battery condition."

EDIT:  I looked again, and I see the language you quoted in column 1 of the "beep table".  The language I quoted is from column 2.

It's saying the same thing, essentially.    High VSWR or high current will be due to either a disconnected or distorted or shorted antenna/cable.   It's sensing the same condition I think they just worded it differently (better), since most folks won't grok "HIGH VSWR".    My install manual is Rev 1.8 from 2015, so it's probably obsolete now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, EricJ said:

So I emailed ack and they suggested the 5 beep code could definitely be the battery (mine is good for another 18 months) and they suggested I test it.  Reading through their manual, the battery must be at 25c for a valid test!  I kept it overnight at home at room temp, installed it in the airplane and magic, it worked perfectly!  Not a lot of confidence if the temperature at cruise around 10,000 feet is -15 C and you need your ELT to work….

• Like 1