My Mooney Story-A Love Affair

Your Aspen should be able to output a good heading signal. A decent avionics shop can probably install the wires in just a couple of hours. Worth asking, at least. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Your Aspen should be able to output a good heading signal. A decent avionics shop can probably install the wires in just a couple of hours. Worth asking, at least. 

Exactly. An Aspen ACU (Analog Converter Unit) would likely be able to interface an analog autopilot signal to the heading bug on the Aspen. Whether that's part of the STC might be another story.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unn90slr499b83m/aspen installation Manual.pdf?dl=0

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Exactly. An Aspen ACU (Analog Converter Unit) would likely be able to interface an analog autopilot signal to the heading bug on the Aspen. Whether that's part of the STC might be another story.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unn90slr499b83m/aspen installation Manual.pdf?dl=0

From other thread on the G5 and Accu-Trak being a "no go" I just assumed this would not be feasible from a legal standpoint.  I have a DG with headingbug and all other components for the Accu-Flite install.  Ihave no need for a redundant vacuum horizon.

30 minutes ago, Echo said:

Ihave no need for a redundant vacuum horizon.

Verify the requirements with Aspen on whether or not a vacuum horizon is required per the STC.  Some 5 or 6 years ago, it was required on the STC when I did my Aspen install, but I think Aspen has updated their STC to not require a vacuum horizon backup, depending on what iteration of the Aspen you have installed.

8 hours ago, 47U said:

Verify the requirements with Aspen on whether or not a vacuum horizon is required per the STC.  Some 5 or 6 years ago, it was required on the STC when I did my Aspen install, but I think Aspen has updated their STC to not require a vacuum horizon backup, depending on what iteration of the Aspen you have installed.

The Aspen Max and E5 don't require one, but IMHO no matter what you have, having a completely independent attitude indicator is a good idea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Aspen Max and E5 don't require one, but IMHO no matter what you have, having a completely independent attitude indicator is a good idea.

Completely agree. Why are so many eager to eliminate their vacuum powered horizon? In 1980 I had a complete electrical failure in a Navajo - 2 alternators & the battery gone in less than 40 seconds; just long enough to tell the NY TRACON I'd soon be NORDO. I descended from 7000' in day IMC to about 300 agl over Long Island Sound & ded reckoned to BDR in 3/4 viz successfully. Murphy's Law was alive and well that day but so was I, my copilot & eight passengers. I personally know two other pilots who owe their life to the much-hated vacuum system when they had their complete electrical failures - one in an Aztec & the other in a Bonanza.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C.J. said:

Completely agree. Why are so many eager to eliminate their vacuum powered horizon? In 1980 I had a complete electrical failure in a Navajo - 2 alternators & the battery gone in less than 40 seconds; just long enough to tell the NY TRACON I'd soon to be NORDO. I descended from 7000' in IMC to about 300 agl over Long Island Sound & dead reckoned to BDR in 3/4 viz successfully. Murphy was alive and well that day but so was I, my copilot & eight passengers. I personally know two other pilots who owe their life to the much hated vacuum system when they had their complete electrical failures - one in an Aztec & the other in a Bonanza.

Glad you made it.  I am retired and am a VFR pilot.  I totally understand redundancy for IFR, but I don't use this horizo for VFR operations.  I would use the hading bug on every flight.

6 minutes ago, Echo said:

Glad you made it.  I am retired and am a VFR pilot.  I totally understand redundancy for IFR, but I don't use this horizo for VFR operations.  I would use the hading bug on every flight.

Now you have plenty of time to get your IFR :)

@Echo &  @LANCECASPER I retired Part 121 in 2020 and operate VFR mostly now, but my soon to be upgraded C will have a new RC Allen vacuum horizon, GI275 AI/HSI, GNC355 GPS & GNC255a. I like independently redundant systems but I'm ok with a single engine provided I have 3000/5 in day IMC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C.J. said:

Completely agree. Why are so many eager to eliminate their vacuum powered horizon?

Because it eliminates the common, frequent point of failure, which is the vacuum pump.   Getting rid of that also frees up space for maintenance at the accessory case, removes weight, and frees up space behind the panel for the plumbing, manifold, regulator, etc.   It's a big improvement in a lot of ways.

You don't lose redundancy with the electric backup instruments, especially with something like a G5 that will run three or four hours on it's own integrated battery.

It's a big win-win to get rid of the vacuum system, imho.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Because it eliminates the common, frequent point of failure, which is the vacuum pump.   Getting rid of that also frees up space for maintenance at the accessory case, removes weight, and frees up space behind the panel for the plumbing, manifold, regulator, etc.   It's a big improvement in a lot of ways.

You don't lose redundancy with the electric backup instruments, especially with something like a G5 that will run three or four hours on it's own integrated battery.

Either a stand-alone Mid-Continent Lifesaver AI gyro with battery or an electronic (like a G5 or equivalent) with it's own power source and backup and running different software than the primary would be my preference over a vacuum instrument, but I can also see if people already have the vacuum backup instrument why they might not go to the extra time and expense of changing it. I still think this is valuable in a VFR airplane. Many accidents are VMC into IMC - it can happen fast. Most of those people that day didn't wake up planning on going VMC into IMC. I wouldn't want my life to depend on keeping it right side up with the turn coordinator and a compass.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yah, I get the rationale and my install team whined big time at my choosing a RCA22-11F but I also chose a GI275 AI/HSI so I do actually have two sources for attitude and am glad I do. As far as a G5 I flew a rental C172 with one and hated the thing. It's like 10 pounds of kaka in a one-pound bag iow too small a display for all that info. The GI275 is pretty much the same but I got the unit for the HSI display with a GMU11. Its attitude display will be there if the vacuum pump craps out or the AH fails on its own. I prefer the much larger & instantly readable old style horizon as part of an overall 6 pack. I flew my last 5 airline years with an ADI with all the features of a G5/GI275 and more, but the PFD screen was huge in comparison. The A320 also had a standby horizon called the ISIS (integrated standby instrument system) - nice unit but I had one fail on a flight into DTW. There one second and gone the next with absolutely zero warning - just a blank screen. I'll post the picture if I can find it. Call me a dinosaur but I'm happy with my set-up.

• Like 4

Wow, had a frightening close call experience in a landing on Friday. Northern Wisconsin airport that has a lot of wildlife. In round out about a half a dozen Sandhill Cranes in front of me on runway. I did not see them until I was right on top of them. They scattered and was a near miss. Yikes. Talk about adrenaline after a uneventful two hour flight!  It was noon. Weird. 

• Like 2

We’re only seconds away from catastrophe, I assume that’s why professional pilots go over all aspects of airport there going to leave from go over everything in detail…something I need to do more of….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danb said:

We’re only seconds away from catastrophe, I assume that’s why professional pilots go over all aspects of airport there going to leave from go over everything in detail…something I need to do more of….

Understand. I frequently fly into this airport.  Just a weird encounter on the runway. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had planned on flying North for some bird hunting this morning.  Turned into a double face palm kinda morning.  First I drover to airport loaded up dog/fuel. (from cans) and closed up hanger.  Realized I forgot my birdbag that had E collars/beeper that is essential.  Re-opened hanger.  Unloaded dog.  Got vehicle out closed hanger.  Drove 15 minutes home and 15 back for round two.  Back in plane and ready to prime.  Realized that after putting plane in hanger and going back into plane after last flight to check fuel quantity I left the master on.  Good grief.  Do all items and PLUG in Charger.

I hope tomorrow morning goes more smoothly.  Doh!

• Thanks 1