Destination Ft Worth - best airport?

hubcap

I made a lot of trips to Meachem several years ago, and American Aero was an excellent FBO.  I'm usually a CB in terms of seeking at lowest cost fuel, but sometimes it is worth paying the premium to get closer to where you need to be, and especially if there are amenities like a courtesy car you can use.  They had several really nice cars too.

• Thanks 1

My first ever Mooneyspace post, but chiming in because my newish to me Mooney is hangared at FTW Meacham. Closer to your Ft. Worth destinations, both FBOs on field are top notch and you'll be treated very well, but just checked today and gas at Spinks is closer to $3/gal cheaper!  That's a major consideration. 

Also, if you're looking for cheap gas on your way out and are not in a hurry (because I think it would be 30-40 min out of your way if you're going back to KC), KRPH west of the DFW area is pretty consistent on sub $5/gal gas nowadays. 

Edited by ap891
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ap891 said:

My first ever Mooneyspace post, but chiming in because my newish to me Mooney is hangared at FTW Meacham. Closer to your Ft. Worth destinations, both FBOs on field are top notch and you'll be treated very well, but just checked today and gas at Spinks is closer to $3/gal cheaper!  That's a major consideration. 

Also, if you're looking for cheap gas on your way out and are not in a hurry (because I think it would be 30-40 min out of your way if you're going back to KC), KRPH west of the DFW area is pretty consistent on sub $5/gal gas nowadays. 

I was at KBKD for opening weekend of dove season. Cheapest gas I purchased in a long time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ap891 said:

Welcome to MooneySpace!  Thanks for contributing on your first post, and enjoy your "J".

• Like 1

You’re gonna get a SID from the computer - and which one depends on how they are landing at DFW - same with STARs. Most of the time, you can negotiate with ATC after take off to a more favorable fix - generally you'll get  ‘fly RW heading expect vectors’ to a fix on the SID. I have yet to get a clearance without a SID or all the fixes from one (which is why I pick a SID to save the writing).

Regional ATC is pretty accommodating though if you ask nicely and there is some spacing available, they will try and give you a fix you ask for or a more direct one on the SID…

-Don

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hammdo said:

FYI, happened today. Kusso1.BSKAT direct KMKL was my clearance and after takeoff and vectors, gave me direct to MKL after I asked…

-Don

Did you file that SID or was it assigned?

Filed with it but they’ll give it to me anyway if I don’t have one. I tried direct in the past but the computer spat out a SID so I just put them in now. 

This morning, I think they wanted me gone :o)…

-Don

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Isn't KWEA closest to Weatherford?

Yes it is, but that runway is a bit short and I need a rental car, and I am going to the Stockyards for dinner, so we are going to try KFWS. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 8:00 PM, hubcap said:

Yes it is, but that runway is a bit short and I need a rental car, and I am going to the Stockyards for dinner, so we are going to try KFWS. 

Sorry I'm a late on this post, but I like Spinks as well. One time a few years ago while they were in transition they didn't have any tie down ropes or chains. I went to Walmart and bought some rope. Since then I've always carried something, but haven't needed it.

• Like 1

Had a very positive experience with the folks at Harrison Aviation at Spinks. Thanks for the help guys! There was another Mooney on the ramp when we arrived - N56338 … don’t know if that belongs to anyone here. Looked like a nice J model.