Experience flying into Cedar Key, Florida anyone?

Jon K

1 hour ago, Jon K said:

Saw an ad in AOPA for a vacation rental in Cedar Key that is walking distance to the airport.  We want to fly in with our dogs and fish for a couple of days.  Before we book our trip… anyone have experience flying into Cedar Key?  www.KCDKwaterfrontrental.com looks gorgeous.

Hi Jon,

A few months ago we stopped there just to check it out.  We were only there for an hour or so, but loved it!  Another pilot lent us his golf cart rental so we tooled around the island.  It's what I pictured Key West to be 50 years ago.  You will love it.

Cheers,

Dan

It’s easy, I haven’t been in a few years though, best if the wind if from the East making your approach over the water, often in the afternoon the wind is from the west and the wind increases late afternoon. Used to be an Eagles nest off the East end of the runway, don’t carry excess speed on final. Landing East you can come in low over the water, landing West it’s over the trees with the Eagle’s nest.

Parking can be tough as there isn’t much room on the paved area that on the South west end. I used to park in the grass on the North east end. Get out and walk it first though as there are soft sand spots. Bring tie downs. 

Having said that parking this time of year is much better than in Winter, so you have very good odds especially if you get in early, lots of day visitors.

There is a Lady named Judy I believe that monitors intercomm and used to drive an old Checker cab, but now I think a junky van, but she can give you a ride to one of the golf cart rental places or wherever you want.

It’s definitely a tourist trap, no doubt about that if your after more “old” Florida the Panhandle is better for that, but many don’t like old Florida.

I used to fly into CDK every now and again and eat, I was one of the day visitors

If you can’t tell I’m pushing you to get in early, Thunderstorms in the afternoon, onshore breeze and parking hard to get, plus this time of year at 4PM you will have sweat dripping off your nose just walking

Edited by A64Pilot

The history of Cedar Key is interesting - and tied to the railroad. Pre Civil War, Cedar Key was the primary West Coast railroad hub in FL, and was connected by rail to Fernandina on the East Coast - and Tampa was a backwater. After the Civil War, a segment of the line (the "Florida Railroad") from Archer to Cedar Key was abandoned, and replaced by a route to Tampa Bay. The rest is history...(current Cedar Key population: 700  Metro Tampa: 3.1M)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Railroad

image.png.c1c2d5de6cf22155625f929cb13e45a6.png