On a Wing and a Prayer

RoundTwo

Amazon threw this up for me so I took the bait. If this is based on a true story, I have some real doubts about the people that got pulled into this coaching scenario. I guess they didn’t have any budget for a flying consultant.

IMG_0658.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

She looks familiar…  1980 pic…

Don’t order the fish…

No budget back then either…

I should post Otto in the AI discussion…

:)

-a-

image.jpeg.3acb8e8094f6324ebb3d7f8e01961fb2.jpeg

image.jpeg.38221e41453ebad501490d78c3288b97.jpeg

I endured to the end but it was just a poorly done movie all around.

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Don’t order the fish…

-a-

You need to go back to Zero Hour for the original movie. TCM played them back to back a few months ago. Airplane is a scene by scene parody of Zero Hour. Some scenes have the exact same dialog. And Robert Stack is in both movies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems he may not be flying any more.  No medical since 2001.

Medical Information:
Medical Class: Third  Medical Date: 2/2001
MUST HAVE AVAILABLE GLASSES FOR NEAR VISION.
BasicMed Course Date:  None   BasicMed CMEC Date:  None

Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT  
Date of Issue: 6/17/1994

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
  AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
  AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
  INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings:

P/CE-500

13 hours ago, bcg said:

I really expected more since Dennis Quaid is a pilot and I believe he actually has some King Air time.  He's type rated as SIC in the Citation 500. 

In the past some starstruck Designated Pilot Examiners may have relaxed their standards when it came to check rides on celebrities.

Legend has it that Lassie was type-rated in a Lear 24 :)

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2023 at 10:14 PM, carusoam said:

Don’t order the fish…

-a-

Airplane starred Julie Hagerty, born 1955 as Elaine Dickson. While this movie starred Heather Graham, better known as the stripper/new wife in The Hangover.

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

• Like 1

I also found it interesting that they felt a need to dirty things up on the airplane exterior, full of pollution streaks, etc., just to make things more dire than they were. It reminded me of how they depicted NASCAR in Days of Thunder, making the cars and drivers look like they just completed the Baja 1,000, covered in a layer of grime at the end of the race.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

Actually you do end up with grime after a race.  Count up all the tires that are changed in a race.  All that rubber has to go somewhere.

In all the years I’ve watched races, or been in the pits, I’ve never seen anyone come out of a car looking like this. 

663A3328-E131-47F5-AB55-0B9D9BF1A952.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

In all the years I’ve watched races, or been in the pits, I’ve never seen anyone come out of a car looking like this. 

663A3328-E131-47F5-AB55-0B9D9BF1A952.jpeg

Agree not recently.  But look at photos of drivers in earlier times.

But most of those were open cockpit, not NASCAR

My wife and I watched this movie last week. It was so wrong in so many ways, but entertaining! And it started a conversation with her about radio and autopilot functions in our plane. All that was lost was about 1 1/2 hours, but may be it sparked some interest by her to start learning some basic skills in the cockpit. Not so bad!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched it last night.  Just off the top of my head...

Wrong United livery for 2009.

During the climb the altimeter was spinning like a cartoon clock.

In real life there was no storm, no allergic reaction, they couldn't move the pilot out of the seat, Doug actually had a bit of Cessna flight time...

What was that GPS unit?

The two flight sim kids felt thrown in like an afterthought.  Not sure what was the point of including them.

There's plenty more I forgot about already.  I'm normally not a film critic but it was pretty bad.  I guess a doctor watching House would have the same feeling.

So, it was 1979 and I was living with some friends in a rental house on 24th place near Camelback. When I got home from work I got the evening paper and there was a small ad that said there was a sneak preview of a new movie at the Cine Capri Theatre at 7:00 and it was free, I just had to fill out a survey after the movie. If I went through the alley gate and through the alley gate of the little office building behind us and then J walked across 24th Street, the theatre was about 100 yards away.

So I watched the movie, it was funny as hell! The movie didn’t have a title, some parts were in black and white and some parts had no sound. I loved it! It was released about six months later as “Airplane”

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Other Red Baron said:

What was that GPS unit?

It is a little square box with little knobs on the side that they like to stare at, but that is not important ...

Since we are quoting Airplane! :)

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, hais said:

It is a little square box with little knobs on the side that they like to stare at, but that is not important ...

Since we are quoting Airplane! :)

I think you’ve landed on the new and approved manner to answer questions on MS. :P

• Haha 1

We were doing our T-37 over night XC.  Two flights out, overnight somewhere, two flights back.

Our class commander had family outside Corpus Christy.  So we all flew there, and everyone in his family drove (one per car) to pick us all up at CC Naval Air Station, then to the Black Diamond Oyster Bar for dinner, then to their ranch house for the night.

They had one of those new fangled VCRs and a tape of Airplane!.  So about 10 students and 10 instructors were al sitting around watching, and howling laughing over Airplane!.

23 hours ago, Pinecone said:

We were doing our T-37 over night XC.  Two flights out, overnight somewhere, two flights back.

Our class commander had family outside Corpus Christy.  So we all flew there, and everyone in his family drove (one per car) to pick us all up at CC Naval Air Station, then to the Black Diamond Oyster Bar for dinner, then to their ranch house for the night.

They had one of those new fangled VCRs and a tape of Airplane!.  So about 10 students and 10 instructors were al sitting around watching, and howling laughing over Airplane!.

No way you could get away with making that movie today, or Blazing Saddles, or …

I can’t think of any comedies made in the last x years that will still be around in 43 years and be as funny in 2066 as they are today. Today it’s all quantity over quality to satisfy the demands of streaming.