Looking for Mooney PLEASE HELP

FlyBoy1179

Hi my name is Chris, I’m looking for a Mooney specifically an 1961 M20B that was last registered to a man named Beau Tarpein in Washington. The plane was my grandfathers and I’m looking into finding it in case it’s ever for sale again or just to see how it’s doing. I’ve never seen it before because it was sold before I was born. Maybe I sound rediculous but im interested in it. It’s tail number is N74704. I have looked it up but nothing makes sense being it’s registered in Washington but last flight was may of 2018 in Dallas texas. If any of y’all on the west coast have seen it or know the guy please get back to me I’d greatly appreciate it!E27FB99A-F8D9-4764-A92C-206C478D002C.jpeg.45992bec43ce85bf376638768ae3c81f.jpeg

Edited by FlyBoy1179
Had incorrect tail number

Hey Chris!

Welcome aboard!

You have come to the right place…

Everyone has been bitten by the Mooney bug….

For most people around here… it comes after they were born….  :)

To see the current registration info for that 1961 Mooney…

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N74707

Recent flight history…

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N74707

All public records… available to anyone….

Enjoy the trip down memory lane….

One important thing… the tail number in the pic… does not seem to match the tail number you gave… that last character is not a 7….

The details from flightaware are probably a different plane than pictured….

Go Mooney!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Hey Chris!

Welcome aboard!

You have come to the right place…

Everyone has been bitten by the Mooney bug….

For most people around here… it comes after they were born….  :)

To see the current registration info for that 1962 Mooney…

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N74707

Recent flight history…

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N74707

All public records… available to anyone….

Enjoy the trip down memory lane….

One important thing… the tail number in the pic… does not seem to match the tail number you gave… that last character is not a 7….

The details from flightaware are probably a different plane than pictured….

Go Mooney!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Whoops my apologies N74704 is the correct tail number. It’s been a long day…

Registration…

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N74704

Last recorded flight…. (Not actual total flight history, just the last one recorded by flight aware…)

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N74704

See if that helps…

You can try to search the tail number, and names… they may show up as MS members….

I only see references outside of MS for that….

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

He obviously had a desire to have a bond to his grandad which moved him to find his old airplane.  Then after it was found through this great platform, the current owner was willing to part with the plane.  Pretty cool.  Then crickets.  Did he buy this plane?  Did he event go out and look at this plane? 

I find that these family connections are important.  I have several exotic cars that I have created great memories with my kids and they want them as part of my estate dispersal.  It's not what just what we have, but the memories we create and leave behind.  Sometimes these memories are imprinted in things.  Kind of like a photo but the feel, smell, and sounds really bring back those good memories. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

He obviously had a desire to have a bond to his grandad which moved him to find his old airplane.  Then after it was found through this great platform, the current owner was willing to part with the plane.  Pretty cool.  Then crickets.  Did he buy this plane?  Did he event go out and look at this plane? 

I find that these family connections are important.  I have several exotic cars that I have created great memories with my kids and they want them as part of my estate dispersal.  It's not what just what we have, but the memories we create and leave behind.  Sometimes these memories are imprinted in things.  Kind of like a photo but the feel, smell, and sounds really bring back those good memories. 

I can very much relate.  My brother and I have fond memories as kids of making late night donut runs to a local bakery with my Dad in his E-type V12.  My only regret is that with a baby (me) on the way he felt compelled to trade his series II roadster for a Series III  2+2 coupé.  Certainly better than getting a mini van... He still has the car but it needs to be restored. It's low mileage, so it will be at some point.  It was a formative experience for me as a young boy and still provides a strong visual and olfactory hit of nostalgia when I open the door.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I can very much relate.  My brother and I have fond memories as kids of making late night donut runs to a local bakery with my Dad in his E-type V12.  My only regret is that with a baby (me) on the way he felt compelled to trade his series II roadster for a Series III  2+2 coupé.  Certainly better than getting a mini van... He still has the car but it needs to be restored. It's low mileage, so it will be at some point.  It was a formative experience for me as a young boy and still provides a strong visual and olfactory hit of nostalgia when I open the door.

You are fortunate that your dad still has the car as your memories matured. 
I remember working on a 1940 desoto sedan that was parked in my grandfather and fathers office garage for years. It never really interested me then but would love to have it to restore now just for the memories. 

• Thanks 1

My dad bought a J-3 in 1946, soon after I was born. Reportedly my first airplane ride was in it. Soon traded it for the Stinson I still have, but I did run at finding the Cub. Was told it was lost in a hangar fire in Mexico Missouri. Oddly the N number, 92123, still showed being owned by someone around there. Attempts to make contact did not work. I should try again. I guess I would be wishing for a part or logbook. My point is, sentiment is a powerful force for some of us.

• 7 months later...

I never received any other contact. The aircraft has a fresh engine, and several upgrades/updates. It was VERY original when I got it, including the original gear pucks, and did not have the "8 second ride" AD completed. Gave the instructor and I a good scare one time during a landing. We got good and sideways before I straightened it out. The engine went bad over west Texas, when one of the engine studs failed due to bad metallurgy, causing a domino effect. The number 3 cylinder had 3 out of 8 studs holding it when we got to a runway. This event prompted the engine to be 0 timed. Been an outstanding aircraft beyond that. As I said, I'm open to offers.

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear about your GP. He was a cool individual and I enjoyed chatting with him during the transaction. He showed me the actual flight envelope of this plane during the sale. Solid pilot. May he rest in peace...

• Like 5

• 8 months later...