Mooney Ovation 2 GX - IO550 - Muffler shroud source

Graf_Aviator

Found the culprit of high CO levels and horrible exhaust smell in my cockpit today... Several welding lines on the muffler / shroud seem to be torn apart... the vibrations have taken their toll I guess... 

For the time being I had the local shop re-weld the muffler - it kind of works for now - but for sure this is not a long term solution. I am expecting it to break again sometime in the not so distant future.

So I am looking for a reliable source for such a muffler and shroud. 

Any tips on where to buy one ? Are there quality differences between different aftermarket manufacturers ? What about OEM ?

Thanks upfront,

best regards, Graf

Edited by Graf_Aviator

34 minutes ago, Graf_Aviator said:

Found the culprit of high CO levels and horrible exhaust smell in my cockpit today... Several welding lines on the muffler / shroud seem to be torn apart... the vibrations have taken their toll I guess... 

For the time being I had the local shop re-weld the muffler - it kind of works for now - but for sure this is not a long term solution. I am expecting it to break again sometime in the not so distant future.

So I am looking for a reliable source for such a muffler and shroud. 

Any tips on where to buy one ? Are there quality differences between different aftermarket manufacturers ? What about OEM ?

Thanks upfront,

best regards, Graf

Was the exhaust smell just there when you had the heat on or was it constant?

Mine is in the shop, same problem. The core went to American Welding, (AWI) in Minnesota, where it is being “rebuilt” or at least the new one will have the old flanges reused, if I got the story straight. Long annual! Like everybody else, the welder says good help is hard to find. I want a discount on my airplane insurance!.

For a pre-flown part from a parted out Ovation in Europe….

See if @Chrigi has one…

1) Did you get an alarm from your CO monitor?

2) Might be time to get a new CO monitor…. :)

3) +1 for AWI for welding… many happy customers around here…

4) How many hours were on the muffler?

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/20/2021 at 6:23 PM, Niko182 said:

Was the exhaust smell just there when you had the heat on or was it constant?

Niko,

I had high levels of CO displayed on my CO monitor, mostly during take-off and landing. I suppose this was due to the fact that I fly LOP most of the time... hence no CO to be measured during cruise.

However there was a constant flow of fumes entering the cockpit. After landing I smelled like a BBQ pit....

I will replace the muffler and have the shop re-seal the cabin as much as possible.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:43 AM, carusoam said:

For a pre-flown part from a parted out Ovation in Europe….

See if @Chrigi has one…

1) Did you get an alarm from your CO monitor?

2) Might be time to get a new CO monitor…. :)

3) +1 for AWI for welding… many happy customers around here…

4) How many hours were on the muffler?

Best regards,

-a-

Hi !

I have sourced a company now that will renew the muffler for me. It is Acorn Welding in Alberta, Canada. 

I actually did get an alarm from my CO monitor, the highest I have seen was around 70ppm. Quite happy that I had invested in the CO monitor on the first day I owned the Mooney and I don't have to rely on a stupid paper card... The muffler now has been used about 1400 hours since it was installed in the factory in 2006. Not sure if that is a good service time or not - what is your experience ?

Best regards, 

Graf

• Like 1