ADSB-out for GTX330ES

Fysiojohn

Hi all,

It’s been “only” almost 2 years, but I finally have ADS-b out working. It all started with the purchase of my bird in 2017. I was assured that it had everything that was needed for the 2020 mandate: it had a 430waas gps and a GTX330ES, so, it should be fine. Three avionics shops later, we finally figured out that for the GPS unit to be the position info source, the GTX needed a RS232 connection, not the existing ARINC 429. And while the GPS gets traffic info from the transponder via ARINC429, you need to have the system configured so that on the GTX330ES the 429 “in” port is set to “OFF”, and the RS232 in port is set to “REMOTE”, and finally, the 430WAAS, RS232 out port is set to “ADSB+“ (on the IFD440 set to ADSB+g).

if you leave the ARINC429 “in” port on the GTX330ES on, the box will prioritize the info coming through 429 over RS232, and your ADSB-report will show a fail.

im mentioning the IFD440, because I swapped out the 430 recently, and while Avidyne tech support has been very supportive throughout this process, they were not aware of the 429 vs Rs232 issue/settings.

if this info helps just one pilot, then it was worth me reporting on my experience.

John

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fysiojohn said:

And while the GPS gets traffic info from the transponder via ARINC429, you need to have the system configured so that on the GTX330ES the 429 “in” port is set to “OFF”, and the RS232 in port is set to “REMOTE”, and finally, the 430WAAS, RS232 out port is set to “ADSB+“ (on the IFD440 set to ADSB+g).

Well,  you have  me confused because the GTX 330ES (GTX 335) has ADS-B Out only and no ADS-B In.  In my situation I have ADS-B Out on both the GTX 335 for 1090 and  GDL 88 for 978.  ADSB-In on both 1090 and 978 comes from the GDL 88.

The GTX 330ES supports legacy TIS-A which is being phased out in favor of TIS-B which requires ADS-B In capability.

Garmin equipment interfaces are so byzantine that it pays to deal with an avionics shop that is both a Garmin dealer and installs and services a lot of Garmin equipment.

Skip

9 hours ago, donkaye said:

Well,  you have  me confused because the GTX 330ES (GTX 335) has ADS-B Out only and no ADS-B In.  In my situation I have ADS-B Out on both the GTX 335 for 1090 and  GDL 88 for 978.  ADSB-In on both 1090 and 978 comes from the GDL 88.

The 330EX and 335 have different functions.

GTX330ES is a mode S transponder with the extended squitter required for ADS-B out compliance as well as the TIS-A traffic input.

GTX335 is ADS-B out only.

GTX345 is ADS-B in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to step in this discussion.

We also have a GTX330 (non-ES) and a GNS430W.

AFAIK we do not have the necessray connections between them.

I want to prepare a future upgrade of our Transponder

Which wires are exactly needed?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 3:23 AM, NicoN said:

Sorry to step in this discussion.

We also have a GTX330 (non-ES) and a GNS430W.

AFAIK we do not have the necessray connections between them.

I want to prepare a future upgrade of our Transponder

Which wires are exactly needed?

You will need an RS232 serial wire from the 430W to the 330ES

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

AFAIK now, I have to disassemble more or less the whole panel to add this one little wire :-(

I had the glareshield removed and there seems no chance to access the back of the center stack (and the GNS connector)

I am happy for all ideas how to add this wire. Maybe a nanobot can help :-)