What if UAvionix got it right?

drapo

Lately, I’ve been complaining about the excessive precession on the AV30c I just added to my Super21 panel. While the GPS track is solid, the simulated magnetic heading on the DG portion isn’t trustworthy. Additionnaly BK’Aerocruze100 will use GPS information to navigate, while a third external device, probably linked to a magnetometer, will be needed to fly a heading. 

Who uses a magnetic heading anymore except air traffic controllers? I remember my days as a TCU controller, the norm was « Use heading vs heading and track vs track ». Nowadays, a GPS track is easier to follow then it is to calculate a drift while doing a procedure turn. Maybe the days of the DG are over and the Whisky compass should be used for the seldom occasions a heading is requested.

Radio-navigation is loosing ground everyday due to the ease of use and lower costs of the GPS alternative. Last month, within 50 miles from my base, we lost two VORs, YMX and YJN. Only complaints are from the schools who used them for training. But why train someone to hold at a VOR or shoot a VOR/DME approach when almost every airport now has a RNAV approach? Do we still train students for a LFR approach? When was the last time you shot a NDB approach? 

Radio-navigation is on it’s way out but will we have to suffer the archaic equipment requirements for another 20 yrs or so? Sorry guys for the rant, rainy day up here;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ohdub said:

Another question, why bother flying timed legs in the hold?

@drapowere you a YUL controller? I'm a YYZ controller.

So your initials must be OW! Yeah I was a Montréal Terminal controller for 37yrs, I retired in 2017. I guess most of the YYZ Terminal guys I knew must have retired by now but if there are some older guys around, they might remember me, I was CATCA Québec’s Director around the « Turn of the Century » ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drapo said:

So your initials must be OW! Yeah I was a Montréal Terminal controller for 37yrs, I retired in 2017. I guess most of the YYZ Terminal guys I knew must have retired by now but if there are some older guys around, they might remember me, I was CATCA Québec’s Director around the « Turn of the Century » ;)

My father in law was a UL controller in the 70's but moved to YZ in 76 or 77, so I guess you missed him by a few years. He retired in June with 50 years of service. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drapo said:

Had good friends from that era. We would often meet at the Annual hockey tournaments and CATCA conventions. What’s his name? 

Steve Doherty, it wouldn't surprise me if you know him, he's a very sociable guy.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, drapo said:

Lately, I’ve been complaining about the excessive precession on the AV30c I just added to my Super21 panel. While the GPS track is solid, the simulated magnetic heading on the DG portion isn’t trustworthy. Additionnaly BK’Aerocruze100 will use GPS information to navigate, while a third external device, probably linked to a magnetometer, will be needed to fly a heading. 

Who uses a magnetic heading anymore except air traffic controllers? I remember my days as a TCU controller, the norm was « Use heading vs heading and track vs track ». Nowadays, a GPS track is easier to follow then it is to calculate a drift while doing a procedure turn. Maybe the days of the DG are over and the Whisky compass should be used for the seldom occasions a heading is requested.

Radio-navigation is loosing ground everyday due to the ease of use and lower costs of the GPS alternative. Last month, within 50 miles from my base, we lost two VORs, YMX and YJN. Only complaints are from the schools who used them for training. But why train someone to hold at a VOR or shoot a VOR/DME approach when almost every airport now has a RNAV approach? Do we still train students for a LFR approach? When was the last time you shot a NDB approach? 

Radio-navigation is on it’s way out but will we have to suffer the archaic equipment requirements for another 20 yrs or so? Sorry guys for the rant, rainy day up here;)

I agree with you EXCEPT GPS IFR navigation I think is a savings for the government, but NOT for the aircraft owner.