Here We Go!

rangermb

Well, feeling a bit depressed but also a bit of anticipation.

A very nice fella looked at my Cherokee today and made a respectable offer. So, it looks like my baby and I are going to part. Frown

But, now I can get really serious about adopting J and start zooming instead of putting. There are a few on the market that catch my eye. Some look pretty good, and some are owned by folks who are very proud of their plane (as reflected in the asking price).

Other than Trade-a-Plane and Controller, any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks

Mike

ASO, Barnstormers and EBay are all places I'd look. I'm sure others will warn you to stay away from eBay, but it's a great place to advertise, so there are frequently planes there. At a minimum, it might help you get a feel for the market.

Mike-

Don't forget to look at the local listings at local airports near you (the wall in the pilots lounge) and also speak to local sources of influence who know about a guy who is thinking about selling his plane - some of the good ones are never listed online.

Take care,

-Seth

When I started looking for my Mooney in 2004, the first place that gave me any useful answers on what to look for was Tri-City Aero in Kitchener (an MSC).  They ended up doing the pre-purchase inspection on mine and saved me over 15,000 in repair of airworthiness issues.  When the evidence was presented to the owner - the price went down.

Quote: rob

ASO, Barnstormers and EBay are all places I'd look. I'm sure others will warn you to stay away from eBay, but it's a great place to advertise, so there are frequently planes there. At a minimum, it might help you get a feel for the market.

Well...I watched my Cherokee fly off into the sunset yeaterday. I flew to the bank to deposit the check. Now I'm grounded! Time to get moving on a purchase.

Does anyone know anything about this one? I've been looking at the ad for some time.

http://www.usedairplanes.com/Aircraft-for-Sale/Single-Engine-Piston/Mooney-M20J-201/1977-MOONEY-M20J-201-ad7144.html

or this one?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/Single+Engine+Piston/1978/Mooney/M20J+201/1126077.html

Thanks

Mike

95K for a 1978 J is REALLY pushing it.  The first one is about the same price as this one Jimmy emailed to me, but it has a 430W Garmin.  

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/MOONEY-M20J-201/1977-MOONEY-M20J-201/1213083.htm

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

Please, please, please have a reputable Mooney mechanic do your pre-buy.  I negotiated with the seller of my M20K to have the pre-buy done in Longview and gave him a ticket on American Airlines to get him home.  It's a lot easier to get burned on a poorly maintained plane than on the asking price of an aircraft.

I bought my first Mooney when I was flying a Cherokee 235 in a flying club back in upstae NY. I still remember the thrill of transitioning to the Mooney from the 235.

I'm moving from the "vintage" to "modern" forum this month.

I traded my 67 F for an 80 K, and am really happy with the plane. The F was a beautiful plane but thee high DAs here in AZ justifed trying a turbo

To answer your question about where to find a plane I bought both the F and the K from All American. When I get ready to buy another plane I'll go back to them again. Both Jimmy and Dave were absolutely honest and went way beyond what any reasonable person could have expected. If erverything goes well as it did when I bought my 62 C from a private seller it can be a good experience. For both my F and K I paid a very fair price at All American and had two of the top experts in the Mooney community helping me.

In any case it sure can't hurt to call to Dave or Jimmy, talk to them about what your typical flyign entails, your proposed budget, and see what advice tehy can offer. For both planes I bought from them I called them up, told them what I was thinking about, and got some really helpful advice about condition, model year differences, equipment, and pricing.

My personal opinion is that a Mooney expert can significantly reduce the potential for expensive surprises. Aircraft almost always have SOME surprises, but having an expert on your side seems to reduce the probability of falling into the more common holes.

My opinion. Others may have their own thoughts.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...