New Forum - 74Gear

Seth

Kelsey a 747 pilot who you may know from his youtube channel that started 2 years ago, has decided to create a forum in the current aviation environment to allow pilots help other pilots with advice, job openings, etc, but without the negative bashing that occurs on many online forums - like aviation pilot central forums (but he didn't name that). He plans to have numerous moderators assist him in keep in it civil.

We are lucky here at MooneySpace that we've been able to avoid a lot of the negative energy and share a lot of good information. So if interested, check out his forum. He announced it a few days ago in one of his online videos.

https://www.74gear.com/forum/

And when I say new, I mean BRAND new. Very little content so far, and set up very thoughtfully.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I've seen a few. Meh.

They're pretty clickbait-y, and he's fond of those annoying thumbnail images that are ubiquitous on YouTube.  You know the ones: usually the person's exaggerated facial expression next to some all-caps text like "NEAR-MISS with STUDENT CESSNA????"  Then after sitting through a 15 minute video you find out they were, at worst, 4 nm and 2000' apart, and it was never even mentioned on frequency.  Just not my thing.

• Like 2

It seems 50% of YT is an outlet for people to gain social acceptance that they are pilots, and "hi, im a 747 pilot" at the beginning confirms my suspicions. He seems like a nice guy, but I just dont care for that plus the reasons you mentioned. I love quality content, this stuff is more pedaled to the non-flying public. But if its money for him, I can't blame him!

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Well as a 50 plus year pilot I find his efforts to educate non-pilots a valiant effort. His dedication to his career, his company and his passion for sharing aviation with the public are all hallmarks of someone who has rightfully earned his Captain's wings. I congratulate him!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Most of Kelsey's commentaries are professional, but he keeps referring to aviation fuel as "gas".  Assuming it means "Avgas", I know Melbourne no longer serves it at their major airports, and it wouldn't surprise me if more places in the world are phasing it out.  The fuel used by almost all commercial airliners is Jet Fuel, which is "aviation kerosene".  It has similar properties to diesel, with high energy level, high ignition point and low volatility under standard atmospheric pressure, thus meeting the performance and safety requirements of commercial aviation.

Edited by Tramologist
forgot "all"

• 2 months later...