1965 20c baggage door latch

g2clark

Is there a kit out there to allow opening the baggage door from inside the airplane?  It really bothers me that the entry door is the only way out of my airplane.  I know the newer Mooneys have a way to release it and i want to be able to egress as well.  I do carry visegrips if the handle breaks on the door but want an alternate way out.

Thanks to all who have responded.  I will check out all the leads.  I really thought there was a kit of some sort to provide an inside release for the baggage door.  Seems like there was even some issue with the STC'd kit as the safety pin came out on a couple of them and let the door open in flight. anyone remember seeing that or maybe it was for some other make.  g2

RB,

This would be important for the day you land on your back and are still looking for a way to get out. 

Of course it is unlikely but possible to accidently break the pin that holds the door handle on the big door.  For this non-emergency, you could always ask for help from somebody outside already...

It may be a better idea to bring an acrylic breaking hammer?

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: carusoam

RB,

This would be important for the day you land on your back and are still looking for a way to get out. 

Of course it is unlikely but possible to accidently break the pin that holds the door handle on the big door.  For this non-emergency, you could always ask for help from somebody outside already...

It may be a better idea to bring an acrylic breaking hammer?

Best regards,

-a-

My inside latch for the baggage door consists of a twisted lenght of safety wire and an aluminum dowel about 1/4"x4" that hangs out of a hole punched in the door liner.  But, my real emergency exit is a roofer's hatchet located on the floor behind the pilots seat.  I figure it will work even if the doors are bound or blocked.  Also, I think I am as likely as anyone to be first on the scence if someone crashes on landing as I wait for take off.  You hear of responders helplessly standing around as survivors burn to death because of lack of access.  I figure I can go through either plexi or aluminum on either my airplane or yours.

re: vise grips

I love the wording of Mooney Service Instruction 20-39 from 1976.

http://www.mooney.com/images/pdfs/si-pdf/sim20-39.pdf

"There have been instances where the roll pin retaining the interior cabin door handle has sheared, leaving egress from the aircraft to the ingenuity of the pilot"

I looked at the baggage door modification. It requires flying with the baggage door unlocked. Mine is keyed so it has to be locked. I seem to recall some GA accidents were caused by an open baggage door.

Has anyone used a hammer and/or a hatchet to cut through acrylic or aluminum?