iPad Mounting Solution Found?

HopePilot

Okay, so I have tried every mounting solution under creation, even special ordering RAM products not found on the shelves of Aircraft Spruce.  I started with the traditional RAM yoke mount and found it got in the way during landing.  Not that it couldn't be done, it just wasn't ideal.  So, I tried about a thousand different alternative methods, but ended up going back with the RAM yoke mount.  If only there was something similar, but more refined.  Then I saw this...

http://mygoflight.com/shop-all-product-list/ipad-mounts/

the new Sport NR yoke mount, which I could use with most of my RAM adapters.  I also had to buy the Sport Adapter, but that was kind of the point.  I figured it would allow me to quickly remove it for landings, etc.  So tonight, I went down to the airport and tried it out.  To my surprise, it fit better...quite a bit better.  My hands now could fit more easily on the yoke, and it seemed a bit lighter.  It pivots with a flick from vertical to horizontal and can be removed quickly.  What I didn't expect is that I might not need to remove it.  Now, I haven't had time to fly with it, but this could be the solution.

post-357-13468140546188_thumb.jpg

post-357-13468140546808_thumb.jpg

Well, I used the WingX SV on a recent trip to Tahoe and it pretty much worked as advertised.  I saw a lake on the SV and when I looked out the window, there it was.  That said, I don't have the optional AHRS to give gyro info:

http://www.aviation.levil.com/AHRS_mini.htm

It's a little odd not seeing the horizon tilt when I bank.  I'm thinking of getting that feature as soon as I determine that the SV isn't just a gimick.  Then again, it may just be slightly above a gimick until I buy the AHRS mini...

I'd prefer a 7" solution, but not even my Viliv X70 with Anywhere Map Pro satisfies (better software, but not nearly as bright as the iPad).

The new Garmin aera 796 looks cool, but pricey as per Garmin's S.O.P.

http://sportys.com/Pilotshop/product/16808?utm_source=PilotShop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=A11092A&utm_content=mainBanner

I have been using IPAD in the cockpit for a few months. I have Foreflight and Xwing. Not sure which I like best at this point.

I have the IPAD version 1 and have only used the internally GPS which has mirrored my Garmin on position on 5 hour cross countries at 7500 to 11500 feet. I will probably bit the bullet and get weather via Skyradar and Xwing in the near future since I cant seem to find a cheaper way to get it in my cockpit. If I do that I will dump Foreflight and focus on Xwing.

About mounting:

So far I have used the IPAD on the Passenger seat but with the wife there I needed a solution.

I use my clock that sits in the middle of my yoke and dont want the IPAD that close to my face anyway.

I just bought the flexible bar mount from RAM. There are two versions. One for automobibles that you clamp to a seat slider bolt and an Aviation model that is built fo cessnas to fit between the seat sliders.

I have the automobile one since I assumed the cessna inspired one would lack the dimensions for the mooney. big assumption I know.

I hope to mount it this weekend as soon as I explore how to make it a non-permanent mount. Will take a little thinking.

But the idea is that there is a long steel shaft that can be bent so the IPAD can be mounted below or to the right of the thrusters.

For those with J Bars this might not work except to the right.

I just do not have any other space on my panel where I would want it to block something else.

(One day I will have to revsit a panel redo and then I will find a place for a bigger screen, 530, 696 or IPAD.)

Will post when I have installed and tried the floor mounted bar out.

The funny thing is I actually tried the RAM base between the seats (didn't fit), the steel shaft that bends (seemed okay until I went on a flight, and then it would move due to the weight of the iPad), and various lengths with the rods that aren't made to bend, in different locations.  I didn't have luck with any of those solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: HopePilot

The funny thing is I actually tried the RAM base between the seats (didn't fit), the steel shaft that bends (seemed okay until I went on a flight, and then it would move due to the weight of the iPad), and various lengths with the rods that aren't made to bend, in different locations.  I didn't have luck with any of those solutions.

Has anyone thought of using the new Amazon Kindle fire http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=871295796&ref=pd_sl_8dnsooeqme_p.  ?   I was wondering how well it will work for replacment of paper charts and plates. I don't  know how well it will work with the flight plan.com Android app?   Is the Amazon Android platform different than the Android platform?  any thoughts,  I am looking for a smaller and cheaper sollution than the Ipad.

I looked at different locations in the cockpit for these moving maps devices and found that the best location is either on the yoke or in the front panel. You need to be in view of the ADI, HSI, ASI and ALT while on the approach and the moving map really helps you to assess your location when you have it next to the primary instruments. My location criteria is that you should not need to move your head but your eyeballs to scan the instruments and moving map. Having one of these moving maps on the passenger side can distract you from maintaining proper attitude and speed while on the approach.

José    

post-237-13468140563953_thumb.jpg

post-237-13468140564358_thumb.jpg

I looked at different locations in the cockpit for these moving maps devices and found that the best location is either on the yoke or in the front panel. You need to be in view of the ADI, HSI, ASI and ALT while on the approach and the moving map really helps you to assess your location when you have it next to the primary instruments. My location criteria is that you should not need to move your head but your eyeballs to scan the instruments and moving map. Having one of these moving maps on the passenger side can distract you from maintaining proper attitude and speed while on the approach.

José 

post-66-13468140564643_thumb.jpg

post-66-13468140564922_thumb.jpg