Sadly I will have to wait

atrosa

10 hours ago, thinwing said:

I guess in 1981 I was an idiot.Paid 3500 for a Stinson with engine on the bench in pieces.Did not insure at all...based it at an AG strip in a shade hanger for 50 bucks a month.Flew to Mexico and most of the West...sold it for 12 K after flying it for 400 hrs

Sorry, that was a bad decision, selling it for 12K back then you should have kept it, they seems to go up in value :lol:

Edited by Ibra

On 4/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, dzeleski said:

Not to be that guy to ruin the party but if $4,000 makes or breaks you buying a plane its probably not a good idea to buy a plane. One bad annual could easily double or triple that.

SO I've set aside about 100K for my plane budget, the reason I have 100K for a toy is because I watch how I spend my money.  I guess I could afford a Cirrus if I lived like most Americans. Some people decide even though they can, they don't.  I'm an investment accountant who knows how to squeeze a $1.10 of of a buck.

BTW, I do not borrow money. Ever.  Poor people borrow money.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:00 AM, carusoam said:

Keep in mind 4amu sounds pretty high... even for your first year...

I would have expected 3amu settling down towards 2amu in the following years...

It helps to have TT training, an IR, and lots of hours...

Bumping into things has happened... don’t be that guy.

You will not only ruin that guy’s plane, but yours won’t look very good either...

The people inside the plane and out are the expensive parts... make sure they are covered...

Did you get an actual quote for that yet?

Sounds like you told them you want to learn how to fly in your plane...  yes, that is going to be expensive...

Best regards,

-a-

yeah It was an actual quote from Avemo on the Piper.  They said they won't touch me with the Mooney until I get some more hours.  BTW I did say that I was going to use the plane for my PPL instruction. 

9 minutes ago, atrosa said:

yeah It was an actual quote from Avemo on the Piper.  They said they won't touch me with the Mooney until I get some more hours.  BTW I did say that I was going to use the plane for my PPL instruction. 

I had 78 hours, no complex and no time in type before purchasing. My quote was mid 3k for a 100k hull for one mil smooth. Contact Parker and ask him for a quote. Parker beat Avemo by quite a bit.

17 minutes ago, atrosa said:

SO I've set aside about 100K for my plane budget, the reason I have 100K for a toy is because I watch how I spend my money.  I guess I could afford a Cirrus if I lived like most Americans. Some people decide even though they can, they don't.  I'm an investment accountant who knows how to squeeze a $1.10 of of a buck.

BTW, I do not borrow money. Ever.  Poor people borrow money.

You do you man, this is all pretty misguided though.

10 hours ago, takair said:

Where are you flying out of?  I’m out of OXC and BDR.  Lived in NH for a number of years too....PSM and MHT.

OXC, cool we should meetup at 121.  My buddy is a corp pilot out of OXC.  He the left seater of the Cessna Sovereign on the field. He is the operations manager too, and has been wanting to give me a tour.  I'm learning at 4B9, Simsbury.  2205 foot on 03 and 1935 on 21, so every landing is a short field :)  

I've got 20 acres on Forest Lake, up in Dalton NH.  My wife is working with an architect now to finalize our Vacation/retirement home plans.  Once they are finished I will start building up there.  Forest lake is about 20 minutes from KHIE( Mount Washington Regional Airport) . I'm also close to 8B2 Twin Mountain airport.  I spoke to the airport owner there and he seems awesome.  I'm going to do a cross country there just to meet him.

Blue Skies

-Tony

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dzeleski said:

I had 78 hours, no complex and no time in type before purchasing. My quote was mid 3k for a 100k hull for one mil smooth. Contact Parker and ask him for a quote. Parker beat Avemo by quite a bit.

You do you man, this is all pretty misguided though.

Please let me know my err. I fully admit to being a total newbie and welcome any critiquing. This is a very confusing place for a new guy. Half the people I take to say get a Cessna/Piper.  My buddy the 20K hour Cessna Sovereign Pilot tells me to get a C150 and fly the wings off it.  Another pilot friend tells me to get a Bonanza.  I'm collecting as much data as possible. I don't want to tie up six figures in something I "think " I'm going to use then it sits in a hanger and dry rots.  I figure I get a 30K plane and see how much I use it.  When plane searching I was looking at 30K planes and included in my search came up M20C's. This is how I ended up learning about the capabilities of the Mooney. Once my skills are up to it, and if I'm still flying, I will buy a Mooney.  I think that is my path right now. 

• Like 1

Gents,

To avoid getting too much outside attention...

Please use caution in talking, large sums, toys and extravagances...

We are in public...

The usual limitations apply...

We are also a large swath of humanity... and do the normal things like borrow money to buy things...

You will often see things coded in AMU...

Its an oddity, but it makes sense...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

1 hour ago, atrosa said:

OXC, cool we should meetup at 121.  My buddy is a corp pilot out of OXC.  He the left seater of the Cessna Sovereign on the field. He is the operations manager too, and has been wanting to give me a tour.  I'm learning at 4B9, Simsbury.  2205 foot on 03 and 1935 on 21, so every landing is a short field :)

I've got 20 acres on Forest Lake, up in Dalton NH.  My wife is working with an architect now to finalize our Vacation/retirement home plans.  Once they are finished I will start building up there.  Forest lake is about 20 minutes from KHIE( Mount Washington Regional Airport) . I'm also close to 8B2 Twin Mountain airport.  I spoke to the airport owner there and he seems awesome.  I'm going to do a cross country there just to meet him.

Blue Skies

-Tony

Feel free to PM me with your contact info.  Would be great to meet up and talk planes once this COVID mess dies down.  121 is closed, maybe for good...but I’m sure something will move be there.  

Having flown up to HIE a few times, I recommend the plane you purchase is IFR capable.  There's tends to be a lowish ceiling in the year frequency throughout the year, even on the best days.  It's a special kind of weather up there....

23 hours ago, Ibra said:

Sorry, that was a bad decision, selling it for 12K back then you should have kept it, they seems to go up in value :lol:

I know!but I needed the 12 k to buy a 23 k Maule M5 with a 235 hp lycoming...no more Franklin oil leaks and that Maule could get off in 350 ft!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

Gents,

To avoid getting too much outside attention...

Please use caution in talking, large sums, toys and extravagances...

We are in public...

The usual limitations apply...

We are also a large swath of humanity... and do the normal things like borrow money to buy things...

You will often see things coded in AMU...

Its an oddity, but it makes sense...

Best regards,

-a-

Wilco

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, dzeleski said:

Not to be that guy to ruin the party but if $4,000 makes or breaks you buying a plane its probably not a good idea to buy a plane. One bad annual could easily double or triple that.

While I agree with the premise, the solution is quite simple - spend up to 20% of your budget on the misc stuff around the purchase (search, inspections, etc), leave 30% for misc costs you had no idea were coming, and spend ~50% of the budget on the plane...  But then you're not getting a $100k plane but a $60k one at best (I saved 10% on the PPI).

• Like 1