How has your flying been impacted?...self sufficiency in the COVID19 era

DXB

10 hours ago, salty said:

Hasn’t changed much for me yet, but I did have two trips planned this summer that may get scrubbed if sanity doesn’t return. 

I’m in the camp that feels we’re using a tourniquet to the neck to stop a nosebleed. I too fear our society has been permanently damaged by accepting this approach. Anybody that doesn’t think our leaders have noticed how easy it was to control us so completely is fooling themselves. 

I hate to respond by turning this horrible situation into a political mess, but I couldn’t disagree more, be safe, help your community by doing your part even if it inconveniences you. Hell we all are inconveniently out of our element 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nicely covered, 88V!

If you don’t mind... what type of business are you in?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Anthony,

I contract with independently owned cable systems to provide advertising sales services to generate another revenue stream for them. It requires installation of equipment that enables our company to insert local TV ads on the most popular cable networks to the local community. We then hire and train a sales team to reach out to the retail business community and create an advertising campaign for them. Our customers are family owned restaurants, furniture stores, auto repair, jewelry stores, auto dealerships, etc. I have relationships that go back 27 years with some of them. These entrepreneurs are the backbone of the American economy and some of the hardest hit by this lock down. By nature they are also some of the most optimistic people on the planet with a great spirit. In the end, they will be the ones that get our economy (and yours) back on track when this is over. I encourage everyone here to please make a point of supporting your local family owned businesses as you are able.

Steve

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 4

I'm out of instrument currency (in the 6 month grace period) but it has been impossible to get a safety pilot and the weather to line up so it looks like I'm going to end up needing an IPC.

At this point I'd rather just have a CFII go up with me for some approaches but the local flight school is closed up due to the virus.  I'm not much for local joy rides and since everything is closed up there's no point in really doing any long XC except to build time for commercial.

My airplane has been getting in some minimal flying during this time. Scott has used it for some Pilots & Paws flights and I've used it to deliver supplies such as masks, gloves, gowns, to some very remote hospitals in Colorado. 

Otherwise we're staying home and maintaining all possible distance. 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, The Other Red Baron said:

I'm out of instrument currency (in the 6 month grace period) but it has been impossible to get a safety pilot and the weather to line up so it looks like I'm going to end up needing an IPC.

At this point I'd rather just have a CFII go up with me for some approaches but the local flight school is closed up due to the virus.  I'm not much for local joy rides and since everything is closed up there's no point in really doing any long XC except to build time for commercial.

There are lots of independent CFI's including Mooney specific ones, ask around and you'll find one.

I'll admit though that I am not instructing right now till the the risk drops, but that's not stopping all. 

I share your  lack of enthusiasm though for joy rides. I've been flying out to the desert for hiking to fly and get exercise. Better for my figure anyway and my 6 month approach windows is good through end of September.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

I have had a lot of difficulty getting my head around this. It’s the textbook example of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Any way you cut it the Chinese need to pay for this.

Edited by Bravoman

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

My airplane has been getting in some minimal flying during this time. Scott has used it for some Pilots & Paws flights and I've used it to deliver supplies such as masks, gloves, gowns, to some very remote hospitals in Colorado. 

Otherwise we're staying home and maintaining all possible distance. 

The local weather has also aided in keeping us on the ground.  Not sure where this picture was taken, I pulled it from a news story.  BUT, it is a LOT of snow.  Boulder, just a little further west from KBJC got nearly a foot of snow overnight!  Thankfully it is April and the snow will most likely be gone by Saturday.  

DA1999B1-8C48-4C63-A7B1-95DCC7EB5E8E.jpeg

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

There are lots of independent CFI's including Mooney specific ones, ask around and you'll find one.

I'll admit though that I am not instructing right now till the the risk drops, but that's not stopping all. 

I share your  lack of enthusiasm though for joy rides. I've been flying out to the desert for hiking to fly and get exercise. Better for my figure anyway and my 6 month approach windows is good through end of September.

I've actually been scanning airports in the area that may be near hiking trails but I'm not coming up with much unfortunately.  Best I can come up with is some nice picnic areas.

The boardwalk is a nice place to go for a jog...

About a 40 minute flight...

unfortunately, they are all closed...

Expect somebody to get arrested for trying... the punishment will be your name and picture in the paper....   :)

one story in the papers, nobody else will want to go next...

PP thoughts only, 

-a-

I made an animal rescue flight yesterday.   Baltimore to Boston area to southern Virginia & home.  I did not think any ATC Center in the Northeast knew the the phrase “cleared as filed” but that’s what they said.   And, I got my requested altitudes, too, instead of being kept down low and almost skimming the waves.  Few frequency changes, either, also very unusual.  Each controller is working a much larger area. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Denver98 said:

The local weather has also aided in keeping us on the ground.  Not sure where this picture was taken, I pulled it from a news story.  BUT, it is a LOT of snow.  Boulder, just a little further west from KBJC got nearly a foot of snow overnight!  Thankfully it is April and the snow will most likely be gone by Saturday.  

That's just depressing . . . . Hope everything clears up soon!

9 hours ago, Denver98 said:

Here too - its almost as if the weather is staying uncommonly and fittingly gloomy and cool in consideration of world events.  It snowed yesterday!  Right now it is 35F and cloudy.  Seems like winter is mostly hanging on as much as 6 weeks late compared to early blooming years.  Well at least the river isn't frozen any more...and I have been kayaking in the mornings, wearing my neoprene suit.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

That's just depressing . . . . Hope everything clears up soon!

Actually any other year it would be great.  Today would be a let’s grab the skies and go up the hill for a powder day.   Oh well, always next year.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I made an animal rescue flight yesterday.   Baltimore to Boston area to southern Virginia & home.  I did not think any ATC Center in the Northeast knew the the phrase “cleared as filed” but that’s what they said.   And, I got my requested altitudes, too, instead of being kept down low and almost skimming the waves.  Few frequency changes, either, also very unusual.  Each controller is working a much larger area. 

Same thing here in SOCAL. In normal times it can be impossible to get a request in  on 124.35 which is where probably over 80 of KSAN's arrivals get their approach clearances but now one controller is working both the northern arrivals and departures and its even easier to get a request in! Ironically, a bit to our north coastal area where we have a popular commuter airport and a couple of other sleepy GA airports that get a lot of GA pilot training remains more congested. I was baffled by this till I realized its due to the different skill sets of the pilot community. The controller working the practice approaches is probably making 3 times the calls for non-professional pilots every time he/she has to play 20 questions or repeat instructions compared to 124.35 where 90% of the calls are to 121 pilots that check-in with their ATIS and approach request and are quickly cleared.  Just made me realize we may well take up more ATC resources that our numbers would imply.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 11:40 PM, Denver98 said:

That looked like my back yard on Monday!

Tom

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, bonal said:

One of my favorite posts. Awesome dog and great movie 

Thanks!  Well last night here in psndemic-tv fest land, we watched call of the wild with Harrison ford(who is a pilot for aviation context), and strava liked the barking dogs.  That’s Buck on the screen.

A9F169D0-AD54-4B78-97F7-FCB23EA7A160.jpeg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danb said:

Dogs have the life, in my next life I’m hopefully going to be someone’s beloved doggie 

:-)

I love that my young dog doesn't have a worry in the world through all this and everything is great.  In fact better than great, we are all home more than usual.  That whole life as usual life is good aura she emits is really good for me.

Have you seen this movie?  It is really a good movie in the spirit of what you just said.  I highly recommend it.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753383/