Gascolator plunger Oring

Hector

Removed the gascolator lower cap to clean the fuel screen and the small o-ring in the picture was basically glued to the tip of the plunger.  The o-ring shown is a new one as the old was a bit stiff and deteriorated.  Now I'm not sure if this new o-ring actually goes on the tip of the plunger (there is no groove there to hold the o-ring).  I'll probably let my mechanic deal with it, but just puzzled how this tiny o-ring is actually installed.

gascolator.jpg

• Like 1

From the pic Hector has given...

is that not the groove at the end of the threaded part...

It looks like the step becomes the groove, when the cap is threaded back on...

Check the dimensions of the parts to see if the two parts make a groove when assembled back together...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... and pretty happy I may have discovered the answer... :)

Follow up question, if I may... is the screen before or after the tank selection valve?  This supports the other discussion of something getting stuck in the valve blocking fuel flow...

Best regards,

-a-

@Hector see Clarence’s response... ^^^^

Now finding the procedure and materials to get that back in place is going to be interesting...

Remember how people discussed putting a sampling cup up inside the drain?

How it works, and you can collect a clean sample, without spilling fuel on the floor... everything is good until the seal gets destroyed...

This is a great pic of what the seal looks like, where it is glued in place...

Also an invite for @chriscalandro who was thinking up ideas the other day about how to dump fuel from a Mooney at altitude... this is one of those locations that could be used to drop fuel over time... it would still need some ideas to complete it better... holding the valve open, and draining the fuel away from the plane...

The amazing power of MS...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

[mention=10018]Hector[/mention] see Clarence’s response... ^^^^
Now finding the procedure and materials to get that back in place is going to be interesting...
Remember how people discussed putting a sampling cup up inside the drain?
How it works, and you can collect a clean sample, without spilling fuel on the floor... everything is good until the seal gets destroyed...
This is a great pic of what the seal looks like, where it is glued in place...
Also an invite for [mention=17568]chriscalandro[/mention] who was thinking up ideas the other day about how to dump fuel from a Mooney at altitude... this is one of those locations that could be used to drop fuel over time... it would still need some ideas to complete it better... holding the valve open, and draining the fuel away from the plane...
The amazing power of MS...
PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...
Best regards,
-a-

I have emptied a tank in the past by 1) burning off as much fuel as possible flying, 2) sticking a screw driver through the D-ring in the cockpit floor to hold it open 3) but a 5 gallon bucket under the gascolator and patiently wait until it drains off completely.

If I had known it was going to be a pain in the rear to replace this tiny o-ring I probably would have just cleaned the fuel screen and let the old o-ring remain glued to the plunger. It was not leaking at all but I thought if I had the gascolator open then might as well replace the o-rings. If the o-ring falls off he plunger then you get a continuous flow of fuel out the gascolator. Seems to me that betting on adhesive to keep the o-ring in place is not a good design, but I guess it works otherwise you would hear about it often enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hector, dear friend, send the whole gascolator off to either Don Maxwell or Lasar and get it fixed correctly. Incorrectly, this tiny, itty bitty part can kill you. If memory serves me, there isnt an O ring, but just a seat for the plunger. You might have an  "abe fortune" fix on your hands that could easily cause an issue. without the parts diagram at my fingertips, I cannot say for sure if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Had a chance to look, pg 190 Fig 36 of the IPC doesn't show an O ring for Item #19, part #3331-00-1. 

Hector, avoid the temptation to follow the poor advice to just "glue 'er back together". 

• Like 1

Assuming it’s the correct part, it can probably be glued back on. If that’s how it was originally, there’s no magic pixie dust DM has. I’d ask around but shouldn’t be a big deal. 

what I hate about the gascolator drain - unless you have someone helping you there is no way to tell what was actually in there. It dumps on the ground and then it’s probably fine. When the airport scolds me for the fuel dump I point them to the POH that specifically says to dump it onto the ground and say “I’m just following the POH”

Edited by chriscalandro

4 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Assuming it’s the correct part, it can probably be glued back on. That’s how it was originally, there’s no magic pixie dust DM has. I’d ask around but shouldn’t be a big deal. 

what I hate about the gascolator drain - unless you have someone helping you there is no way to tell what was actually in there. It dumps on the ground and then it’s probably fine. When the airport scolds me for the fuel dump I point them to the POH that specifically says to dump it onto the ground and say “I’m just following the POH”

Isn't asphalt a petroleum product? Nobody gets mad when someone spreads it all over the ground!

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Isn't asphalt a petroleum product? Nobody gets mad when someone spreads it all over the ground!

Here they certainly do. 

@Hector, you seem like you are intelligent enough that you can figure this out safely with your mechanic.  Some people here will tell you you need a Mooney specific mechanic to change your oil.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Here they certainly do. 

@Hector, you seem like you are intelligent enough that you can figure this out safely with your mechanic.  Some people here will tell you you need a Mooney specific mechanic to change your oil.  Good luck.

Humm, they are reworking the south 101 and I watched them lay about a mile of it on bare dirt just yesterday.

All,

Appreciate the input. Rest assured, this is not something I’m just going to wing it. As Mike said, this can get you killed. If you don’t get this Tiniest of O-rings just right you could be pissing fuel all the way to an empty tank. I’ll call LASAR to find out if this is something my AP/ IA can deal with here at my home airport or if I need to send the fuel selector back to them. Just as FYI, I checked the logbook entry for my last two annuals and both entries indicate the gascolator was cleaned and this O-ring was replaced. My last two annuals were performed by PJ at Avon Park but unfortunately this year events/schedule conspired so that I had to get a local AP/IA to do my annual in my hangar (owner assisted). I just started the annual yesterday and have not shown the AP doing my annual this issue yet. He may very well know exactly what to do, but I will check with LASAR just to make sure. I have to say, I thought replacement of this o-ring was fairly routine and someone here would surely know the answer. If you clean the gascolator fuel screen during annual then wouldn’t you also replace the o-ring? Or are folks just leaving the old O-ring in place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2