1st annual in the Atlanta area...or beyond!

mulro767

I purchased a 1981 J model last year and I'm due for my first annual.  I'm trying to narrow down a shop to give my $$$ to.  I thought I'd try this forum for pros/cons to these companies.  Thank you in advance.

1) DLK Aviation (RYY) - I had them install my JPI-700 and do a prop balance.  It was quite a bit more than the estimate.  Has me worried.

2) Daytona Aircraft Service (DAB) - Did the pre-buy here and I like Jim Teski.  But glad I didn't have to pay for all the stuff he found. He was very thorough and the bill was huge. But I want what needs to be fixed, fixed.  So I like this shop.

3) Midwest Mooney (FOA) - I've heard many great things but logistics are a nightmare.  It isn't close to anything.

4) Epps Aviation (PDK) - Haven't heard a thing.  

5) Hill Aircraft (FTY) - It's my local FBO and they take good care of me. They've done some minor work and seem very trustworthy and professional. They just aren't a MSC.  

6) Willmar Air Service - I have family in MN and could just call it a very expensive family visit.

Thanks again for your input.  

1. Willmar

2.Cole

3. Daytona

All three are good shops. I just visted Willmar about three weeks ago. Shop is full of aircraft so might be hard to get in. Joey Cole is a great Mooney mechanic and has a good shop. Jim Teski is also a great shop in Daytona.

You have picked good shops. Cole and Daytona are the closest to you though.

Just spoke with Joey Cole yesterday. He's pretty busy right now - will get worse toward the end of this month.

Epps Aviation's rate is $105 an hour - spendy.

Don't know about Wilmar - it's not run by Bruce Jaeger anymore.

Have you thought of Don Maxwell in Longview, TX?

Chuck M.

My bird is at Stockmar/Earl Small, Jr. field (20GA) in Villa Rica.

Don Maxwell has a lot of 'corporate knowledge' in his shop - I would trust him implicitly. I am deciding between Joey Cole and Don Maxwell.

Yes, 3 hours is a long way to go...

This will be my first annual after purchase, so I don't think there are many 'gotchas' to be found. The pre-buy/annual was a $12,000 affair.

Chuck M.

Quote: Skywarrior

Just spoke with Joey Cole yesterday. He's pretty busy right now - will get worse toward the end of this month.

Chuck M.

I had Joey Cole do some work for me on my 86 252.  He installed a 730 (it was his first) and it took longer to get right but he stuck with his original estimate and did not make me pay for him to learn.  He also did some other repairs that were necessary and reasonable.  He is a self-described "impatient perfectionist" so you can expect a thorough but not necessarily cheap annual.  But it will be worth the money. 

Joey Cole, MSC, did my annual a couple of months.  It was not cheap, but I had several repairs that needed to be completed, most of which I knew of before the plane went in to him.  I found him to be very knowledgable and good to work with.  I will go back next year.

Over at Benson Municipal, KBBB, Jason Dorcher (I may have mispelled his name but will edit it correclty later along with his contact information) runs the shop there, and he used to work at Wilmar.  KBBB is a 10 minute flight from Wilmar.  His base annual is $1700.

He may be worth a call.

Take care,

-Seth

• 3 months later...

If you are searching for an Annual inspection and are considering Cole Aviation. Please read my post. I would really stay away and look for someone else. In and around Atlanta you have a few to choose from. The comments that I have read after my post are pretty much the same. I hope you don’t make the same mistake I have.

Patrick

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&page=1&forumid=1&threadid=3930#post48998

105$ an hour?  Are you getting an annual or a divorce? These airplanes are machines, not computers.

Quote: Skywarrior

Chuck M.

Don Maxwell is outstanding + his field is a commercial airport with airline service s you don't have to wait around a week while he does the annual.  He does a very complete job and is probably one of the top Mooney mechanics in the country.  His cost is very affordable for the service he provides.     

I would also recommend John Pittman at KGVL (Gainesville, Georgia).  Although John is not a "Mooney" expert; he is an outstanding mechanic and does a fantastic job on all the aircraft he touches.  John has been taking care of my aircraft for many years and does the job as if it was his own.  He can be reached at 770-540-7677  skylane@bellsouth.net  

Sorry, hit "submit" too soon.  I spent a whole day over at Cole Aviation a few months back talking to Joey about a J Model I'm looking at buying while he worked on different airpalnes.  All the while, he gave wisdom and anecdotes about various models and maintenance issues that he's encountered.  While I was there, at least two customers flew in for minor service work which he performed on the spot and I got a chance to ask them about their experience with Cole Aviation and both reports were glowing.  Joey is an honest gentleman and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Mooneys.  If you live in or near GA, especially in Atlanta - he's your go to guy.  All the others mentioned above are also good, but there's no substitute for a really good shop that's practically in your backyard.