Seat pocket fire extinguisher.

RobertGary1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Looks like H3R no longer makes the little 8”x3” one I used to use. What are other people putting in their seat pockets?

-Robert 

Had same issue. Got this guy

Amerex A344T, 1.25lb Halon 1211 Class B C Fire Extinguisher

I paid 185 in Oct. Price went to 209 now on Amazon.  Is a refillable unit.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5CK09O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amerexfireextinguishers.com/

17 hours ago, Seymour said:

Aviation application was asked in a Ferrari board last year and a company representative's answer and the current FAQ about UL certification are posted below (along with the links for this information):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/element-fire-extinguisher-an-introduction.564980/page-4

and

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

First Link:

Coupon codes sent

As for use in aircraft applications, we have a number of customers who have chosen to carry Element in their personal small aircraft. Many of them cite the one handed operation (after striking) as a bonus because it allows to put out a dash fire while still being able to control the aircraft. That said at present Element cannot be used to legally substitute areas where a UL certified extinguisher is required (like the annually inspected bottles in the hangar) so any decision to use these needs to be done as a supplement to whatever is required by the fire marshal. This topic is covered in greater detail in the FAQ section of our website. We have a number of customers who supplement extinguishers with Element which is totally allowed by law. Hope this helps

Second Link:

IS ELEMENT CERTIFIED? 

Originating in Italy, Element has been certified for sale in Europe by CE and TUV. Institutionally it has been tested and certified for use by multiple international military and police groups who have adopted it for active use.

In North America, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is responsible for the certification of fire extinguishers. UL does their testing to a standard that contains a form (physical shape) component followed by a performance component. Because Element's form does not fit inside of UL's guidelines of what a traditional fire extinguisher looks like (i.e. compressed gas cylinder with a hose and measurement gauge) it is immediately passed over for performance testing. At present UL is being campaigned to update its standards to recognize the different form offered by Element and allow it an opportunity to be tested and certified.

Until the standards are updated Element cannot be used to substitute extinguishers in regulated environments that require a UL (or UL endorsed) certification. Element can however be freely used as an supplement to the extinguishers used where regulation exists.

There are no restrictions in non-regulated environments (car, home, personal garage, etc.) allowing Element to be used freely.

The Element extinguisher seems like it's truly an innovation from the standpoint of effectiveness, weight, nontoxicity, non-corrosiveness, compact form factor, and particularly ease of use.  Anyone want to buy my 1211 Halon extinguisher? (only half kidding).

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

From AC20-42D:

DCC209FA-BFCB-441C-9F36-B2115CDF1890.jpeg

I think everyone understands the regulations, now for the big questions. How do you mount one in a plane that never had one factory installed? A few years ago someone offered bracket attachment hardware for the seat lock. That was poo pooed. Where can you mount one and what hardware do you need to mount one?

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I think everyone understands the regulations, now for the big questions. How do you mount one in a plane that never had one factory installed? A few years ago someone offered bracket attachment hardware for the seat lock. That was poo pooed. Where can you mount one and what hardware do you need to mount one?

I’ve mounted them on the pilots seat base below the handle or on the floor between the seats, from the J onward Mooney mounted them on the front of the main spar behind the pilot’s seat.

Clarence

I’ve mounted them on the pilots seat base below the handle or on the floor between the seats, from the J onward Mooney mounted them on the front of the main spar behind the pilot’s seat.
Clarence

Thanks. I guess my local IA should know what lies beneath and/or behind these locations so drilling holes and using the correct length and type of fastener shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d like to see pictures of where people mounted things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Thanks. I guess my local IA should know what lies beneath and/or behind these locations so drilling holes and using the correct length and type of fastener shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d like to see pictures of where people mounted things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From the J IPC.

Clarence

AE7F891B-AD32-41CD-9327-104666044D78.jpeg