Exhaust hanger

I was looking to replace the hanger for the exhaust pipe where it exits the plane.  I called Lasar and was told it’s over $400.  This is my third plane and the last 2 were Beechcraft.  I have never seen a part so marked up before.  I’m glad I can find the part and I have bought other parts from Lasar and thought they were reasonably priced but this one is insanely priced.  Any leads on other part suppliers?

7300B46F-1C26-4850-9948-3CC18FB7EF45.jpeg

The one on my plane which I would assume is from the factory only has 1 bolt.  The 2 bolt would most likely interfere with the cowl flap disconnect.  A google search of Jegs stainless exhaust hanger turns up some options.  Little cutting and drill two holes and looks like you are in business for under $50.  https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Hangers/1528509/10002/-1

In my E there are three pieces: a swivel on the firewall, a stainless clamp around the tailpipe and a a 'spring' between the two to absorb shock.

The 'spring' appears to be the weak link and I believe is a common item to break.

It sounds like you have a broken clamp around the tailpipe? If so I would find the old ones and send it to a welder for repair.

A piece of rubber from an old aircraft tire makes a good "spring" that goes between the firewall and a clam around the tailpipe.

OEM? No. Does it work.. yes, pretty well.

Edited by Immelman

The clamp I have is in good shape but they put out a service bulletin that changes to the one in the pic.  I will need to cut the ear off mine and have it welded back on.  I’m more annoyed by the price.  When I had Beechcraft everyone would tell me how proud beech was of parts.  I never saw anything like a $400 clamp on a beech.

1 minute ago, 67 m20F chump said:

The clamp I have is in good shape but they put out a service bulletin that changes to the one in the pic.  I will need to cut the ear off mine and have it welded back on.  I’m more annoyed by the price.  When I had Beechcraft everyone would tell me how proud beech was of parts.  I never saw anything like a $400 clamp on a beech.

Is there a problem with your current hanger?  Mine does not look like the one in the picture yet miraculously it's been fine since it was replaced 10 years ago.  What is driving you to replace the hanger?

4 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

It doesn’t line up well and has rubbed the fire wall at times.  It’s a new plane to me so I’m going over it well and doing an annual that will include E.I. 30P+C and a G5 HSI.  I have lots of work to do.

Post a pic when you have time. Years ago an A&P installed mine with the bolt end facing the fire wall. I caught it months later, but not before it had left its mark.

Edited by Shadrach

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Post a pic when you have time. Years ago an A&P installed mine with the bolt end facing the fire wall. I caught it months later, but not before it had left a mark.

Do this.   Mine was bolts on backwards and the pin for the quick release was installed backwards.  And the Alternator bracket was installed backwards, but I digress.