WANTED MOONEY M20 C-F

TonyPynes

I was actually thinking that the high time airframe would cause me to wonder how worn thinks like linkages, hinges, maybe hoses, wiring, etc has been impacted by changes over the year, just use, or opportunities for abuse. I am considering this from a general perspective as I would for any mechanical contraption.

The actual airframe I wouldn't worry about the high time except for if i saw corrosion and damage. hopefully that makes sense. It does to me. But hey I can rebuild Harley engines and have including bearings, rods, cylinders and valves out. But zero airplane mechanic time so my opinion isnt worth much but it is mine.

Low time worries me too, how were the little things taken care of? Where did condensation build up and start corrosion when it wasnt running? Did the varmints have opportunities to get to it? Again I would worry about seals, hoses, lines, wires, connections and any place there is rubber or plastic forming part of a joint that should be lubricated. Just my general observation on air cooled engines and water cooled for that matter. I would feel better if either had a fresh overhaul by someone who went through the engine and also went through other areas of the plane. That is what I would do if I was rebuilding a low hour, high year vehicle. I would ask myself, what the wiring looks like, where are the lubricated joints, connections, hinges, and rubber that sat with no one paying attention to it. I have had to rewire vehicles do to neglect and exposure. Just my thoughts. Your opinion is probably different.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the airframe is the single, uncorrectable component.  The rest is just price related.  An airplane with a low time engine costs more than a high time engine and one with new avionics cost more than old avionics.  Usually, the cost to install new avionics is more than the cost to buy an airplane with it already installed (about twice as much) but that is negotiable.

The cost of delay, being enjoyment or financial, is also real but if you aren't using it for business or if you are replacing a plane rather than a first plane, the cost may be very small.  Of course, I enjoy the shopping so there may be some gain in that too.

Looked at everything from Cs to Js. Js in my price range just weren't enough together for me. Course I knew that going in.

Lots of interesting Cs, Es, Fs and Gs. but I really didnt want to spend time fixing something later or adding a must have avionic.

So I put an offer in on a M20F,

Fresh overhaul, nice avionics, nice interior, nice paint. top of my budget but Vref'd okay 

Waiting on the mechanics results next week.

Until then I am assuming it is just part of the search and may not be the plane I buy. When I get past the mechanics review and settle on any fixes I will post pics and details.

More to follow. trying not to get excited yet.

Waiting on the insurance company to tell me what my training requirements will be so i know if I can fly it home myself.

Quote: AustinPynes

Until then I am assuming it is just part of the search and may not be the plane I buy. When I get past the mechanics review and settle on any fixes I will post pics and details.

More to follow. trying not to get excited yet.

Waiting on the insurance company to tell me what my training requirements will be so i know if I can fly it home myself.

I am a new pilot with about 120 hours and 15 complex. Hull will be around 65k

I am hearing a high number of 1700. But I am still waiting on two more quotes which we hope to be lower.

I expect at least 10 hours in model but am lining up an instructor onsite so when i take delivery I spend a couple of days training and head out.

You should be good to go, Austin. I had 62 hrs, 0 complex. Fell to ~$1650 after the first year, with 100 hrs in my C. Now with my IR and ~450, I renewed for $1134 last month. 65k hull, -0- deductible, 100k/1M.

I would expect 10 hrs. dual/5-10 hrs solo for insurance, depending on what your Complex time is in. Pricing sounds good.

I was lucky.  I had a couple hundred hours of complex/high performance before I purchased mine.  No requirements from the insurance company but I found a local instructor with an M20J and flew with him for about 5 hours and then another few hours in my plane with an instructor when I picked it up.

You could strat your transition training even before you find/purchase you plane if you wanted to.

Austin,

I just looked through your gallery; that's a nice looking F model you've purchased! The seat upholstery looks well executed.  I'd advise you not to store those Bose X's with the earcups touching. When they sit like that for a period of time, they stick together...pulling them apart will leave small fissures in the rubber.  I would store them in a bag, or clamp them over the seat in a pinch.  Bose earseals are $30 a shot which is nothing relatively speaking.  Once they start to go, they go quickly. They will leave black rubber bits in your ears and hair if you continue to use them (especially if you're on a date) once they've started to deteriorate.