VFR vs IFR in VMC

I almost always file IFR going cross-country.   I feel it is both easier and safer.

Yesterday I made a trip to FAT, only about 180 nmi down the central valley of CA.  Visibility was easily 30+ miles, as it often is, and so for a change I went VFR.  I even had a current VFR sectional with me.  I did get flight following.   Coming back from FAT and climbing slowly in the 100F heat, Fresno approach called traffic for me, a Brasilia 2000' above me, 12 o'clock, 4 miles out, and inbound on the visual into FAT.   No joy, I reported, and started looking.  About 40 seconds later the Brasilia went by about 200' above me.  Just as they zipped past, the Brasilia reported, "traffic in sight,” though by that point the issue was moot.

Sobering.  One lesson re-learned was those turbine guys come down fast.   Two, we were both VFR in a sense -- I was VFR and the airliner was IFR but on a visual approach -- so ATC had no separation responsibility for us, right?   Three, targets that sit on the horizon and don't move in elevation or azimuth are both the hardest to see, and the most dangerous.

Think I will stick with IFR as before.   ATC separation responsibility is not a panacea, but it helps.

Once we were flying the CRJ-900 from Vegas to Ontario, CA one hazy summer afternoon.  We were cleared to 8K and passing 11K on the descent into Ontari, just north of Big Bear.  Just as our TCAS went off, we were told of a Baron climbing VFR to 10 or 12K.  We were perhaps closing at 500 knots, but by the time I saw him, I clicked off the autopilot and did an abrubt 2G pull up, and he went right by us, Im not sure how close, but close enough we didnt know what happened till it was over.  Sometimes you have to trust its a big sky out there.

This incident highlights the need for continued vigilence in our visual lookouts, no matter what flight rules we may be following. If you are VMC, the best way to avoid a mid-air is by looking for traffic outside your aircraft, and avoiding it. Flying IFR does not relieve you of your duties to keep a continuous scan going outside the aircraft during VMC. Yes, there are more stringent responsabilities from a controller standpoint which should ultimately provide more traffic seperation and allow for IMC flight, but on a VMC day, a sound lookout doctrine is always prudent and can prevent disaster. I'm glad that everyone turned out OK in this particular case.

-Job

If I remember the regs correctly we are responsible for visible separation/avoidance even if on an IFR flight plan while we're in visual conditions, right?  I still prefer IFR for anything longer cross country than putting around Ohio just because it means another set of eyes looking, but when not in IMC, I believe we're still accountable for seeing and avoiding. 

I have a mode s traffic avoidance system; I was amazed at all the traffic that was out there when I turned it on.  Over 1/2 that are near me I don't get calls on from ATC.  It looks overwhelming to manage at times.  I fly over 600nm all the time and have had close calls in the middle of no where to high traffic areas.  My biggest worry are those that don't have a transponder or don't fly with flight following or a flight plan.  When pilots of both aircraft are watching its always better than one.

...but some folks who have to fiddle with 2 or 3 panel mounted GPS's; 1 or 2 yoke mounted GPS's, a couple of glareshield antennas, and a kneeboard iPad just don't have the time to look outside. I've flown with a couple of these people, but only once!

Unlike driving on the highway where other traffic is always at your same altitude and visible from any angle spotting visually air traffic is a whole different situation. As an example you are in a C172 just below and to the side of a Mooney on final and you will never see the Mooney neither it will see you because of wing view blockage. The same happens with nose and fuselage view blockage. But even if your plane was made out of glass how often are you going to be turning your head around looking for traffic. Head on incoming GA traffic (300kts closing speed) is only visible for 12 seconds at 1nm. And that's assuming you have a clear background to recognize it. With jet traffic you only have 6 seconds to spot it. ATC flight following is an option but subject to the workload of the controller. This is why TCAS is mandated for all the airlines and jet planes. And all of these fly under IFR rules. TCAS provides a continuous awareness of the surrounding traffic that is not limited by airframe blockage view, eyesight acuity or ATC workload. A mid-air collision will only happens once in your lifetime and it will likely keep you from renewing your medical no matter how many airbags or parachutes you have in your plane.

José

That said don't be "that guy" with the TCAS.  We were going to a $100 hamburger on Monday, we called downwind, base, final.  When we were on short final, a Cirrus we had heard call approaching the airport entered the downwind.  We called final.  He called "Aircraft on final, do you have your transponder on, we don't see you on our active TCAS".  Of course, Byron politely replied that perhaps our antenna was shadowed by the wing.  I didn't have a snappy reply, but was wondering, why would someone be asking a question like that to an aircraft on short final on a perfect VFR day.  They could surely look out their window and see us, why bug someone on final?  Too much overreliance on TCAS...

Your incident was the Brasillia Jet guys wanting a good look at you or they just were'nt concerned. They knew what they were doing. Their TCAD was blarring at them the whole time. That must have been a heck of a sight!! You're right, if you were IFR in B or C, minimum separation would have been 500 and 1/2.

I have TIS Mode S too. It's the bomb, especially around crowded Bravo airspace.