Transition Training: 172 to M20C

8 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Its why we fly T206's in CAP. You'd have gear ups daily in CAP if we were flying retracts (world's largest fleet of piston singles)!

-Robert

The bar took me a long time to master, and I had a couple scary incidents when it popped up during cruise.  Because of that it has an emotional component I never associated with any part of an aircraft.  I doubt I'll ever forget it.  I know, there are those who have and those who will.  Were it just a switch I think I could forget it as easily as anyone else, but that bar just has an outsized presence in my pointy little bald head.

I have a pointy little bald head too and it likes the manual gear very much.  The only incident I have had is bloodying my thumb because of the handle sticking in the upper socket.  Now I twist the handle to get it down and all is well.  I plan on replacing the upper block at next annual.

I think the manual gear is a love it or hate it thing and I am a lover.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

I have a pointy little bald head too and it likes the manual gear very much.  The only incident I have had is bloodying my thumb because of the handle sticking in the upper socket.  Now I twist the handle to get it down and all is well.  I plan on replacing the upper block at next annual.

I think the manual gear is a love it or hate it thing and I am a lover.

I am as well, but it gave me fits for the longest time.  Still, our aircraft are among the only ones that don't have an emergency gear release.  KISS every day and twice on Sunday.

Fun story.  When doing a repurchase inspection I started turning the crank to raise the step (I do HATE that crank). The mechanic just about had a fit, apparently that's the emergency gear mechanism in some airplanes.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Fun story.  When doing a repurchase inspection I started turning the crank to raise the step (I do HATE that crank). The mechanic just about had a fit, apparently that's the emergency gear mechanism in some airplanes.

@steingar- The retractable steps are really one of the simplest systems in our older airplanes.  It should work as smoothly as a window crank in an older car.  One suggestion- try sliding your step up and down by hand.  It should slide easily.  If it doesn't, then you're lucky- you probably just have a lot of gunk on the slide mechanism that you can clean off through the big access panel on the pilot's side of the tail.

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

@steingar- The retractable steps are really one of the simplest systems in our older airplanes.  It should work as smoothly as a window crank in an older car.  One suggestion- try sliding your step up and down by hand.  It should slide easily.  If it doesn't, then you're lucky- you probably just have a lot of gunk on the slide mechanism that you can clean off through the big access panel on the pilot's side of the tail.

Could be you're right.  Could be that what I call a royal pain in the six is a unit that works as smoothly as a window crank in an old car.  By the way, I haven't had a window crank in a car since the Reagan administration.

5 hours ago, steingar said:

. . . a unit that works as smoothly as a window crank in an old car . . . 

Huh. My 2004 Ford Ranger, inherited from my father-in-law in 2012, has a window crank in each door. And the rearview mirrors must be moved by hand, after rolling down the windows, just not while I am shifting gears. But the AC works well, and there is the 6-disc, in dash CD changer . . . Some dealer options just don't make sense!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, gitmo234 said:

Did you find the flare to be almost nothing? I know you said its very different for us rehabilitated Cessna drivers, but im finding it feels like NO flare. The sight picture to me feel almost nose-down, but its not. 

Are you landing with full flaps ?

Just now, gitmo234 said:

Hit and miss. I’m usually pretty okay with speed but have been known to be too fast

Too fast will lead to a flatter landing. Non-Mooney specific CFIs, especially those with significant Cessna or Bonanza experience, tend to get lazy about requiring precise speed control on landing. You must nail the airspeeds on landing, corrected for weight, to do consistent landings in a Mooney. Mooneys are actually pretty decent short field airplanes if speed is managed properly.

http://www.donkaye.com/donkaye.com/Perfect_Your_Landings.html

Mooney Speeds.pdf

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

Too fast will lead to a flatter landing. Non-Mooney specific CFIs, especially those with significant Cessna or Bonanza experience, tend to get lazy about requiring precise speed control on landing. You must nail the airspeeds on landing, corrected for weight, to do consistent landings in a Mooney. Mooneys are actually pretty decent short field airplanes if speed is managed properly.

Mooney Speeds.pdf

Lazy CFIs tend to get lazy about requiring precise speed control on landing, whatever airplane is involved. 

The ultimate point is, of course spot on. Sloppy airspeed and descent rate control equals sloppy landings, especially in a Mooney..

3 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Lazy CFIs tend to get lazy about requiring precise speed control on landing, whatever airplane is involved. 

Cessnas and Bonanzas tolerate an extra 10 knots on short final. Mooneys do not.

True story: I know a guy that sold his Mooney and bought a Bonanza since he "didn't have to think as much when landing".

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

Cessnas and Bonanzas tolerate an extra 10 knots on short final. Mooneys do not.

True story: I know a guy that sold his Mooney and bought a Bonanza since he "didn't have to think as much when landing".

Wow!...., and I thought I was a bad pilot.

My 56 model tolerated a bit more speed than 10 and virtually any rate of decent with 40 degree flaps. Helen Keller could’ve landed it.

i went out today and made sure to be extra conscious of speed, decent, etc. it did FEEL nose down attitude. I’m used to holding back and riding it in like that. I  caught myself with a bit too much back pressure. Released a lot of it. Touched down softly and on the numbers. 

Forget about the fact I setup on a 9 mile final straight in for the wrong airport (Hyde field is about a mile away and runs parallel, easy to confuse). Immediately caught it and corrected of course. I got a pat on the back at the FBO, apparently that’s a common right of passage

On 8/26/2017 at 0:42 PM, KLRDMD said:

Mooney Speeds.pdf

Assuming the video is a DVD? Is it available digitally? I don’t own anything that plays disks anymore

20 hours ago, gitmo234 said:

Assuming the video is a DVD? Is it available digitally? I don’t own anything that plays disks anymore

20 hours ago, gitmo234 said:

Yes.

• Like 1