Powered Tow Bar

rblauson

Redline Sidewinder - my friend who has a Mooney in the hanger next door has one!

I have a powertow EZ 35.  The EZ 40 is better than my EZ 35 from 20 years ago, but the Redline Sidewinder beats both of them!

-Seth

Edited by Seth

I have the redline tow bar.  It is nicely engineered and built. Connects easily to my lawn tractor.  Their customer service is Top-Notch.  It is strong and easy to use.

I had some reservations regarding how well it may behave. A couple of emails back and forth. I bought it.

When the time comes for me to buy their electric drill version, it will be a check of the strength of the drive to push my fully loaded  O uphill into the hangar.  I don't expect a challenge there.  The CB gene keeps me from placing the order...

Best regards,

-a-

I have a engine driven robotow that was gifted to me.  The engine did not work so $90.00 for a Harbor Freight engine replacement and it was good to go.   There is pretty good uphill into the hanger and it took 3 people to make it by hand.

A powered electric chair with some mods would make a pretty good plane mover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pr1mo-24v-motors-with-3-00-4-wheels-pair-left-and-right-EV-Power-Chair-Jazzy-/161757955218?hash=item25a9868492:g:mZQAAOSw~gRVnXur

Hi Jose

if you don't mind me asking what you paid for yours? And have you had any issues with the battery?. How does it work in cold weather or wet weather when your nose wheel tire might be wet? And how does the unit actually connect to your plane? My tube port where my handheld tow bar fits into seems a little worn. Do you think that would effect a robotow from connecting to my J model properly?

thanks much for the info / help.

Mark 

4 hours ago, rblauson said:

Hi Jose

if you don't mind me asking what you paid for yours? And have you had any issues with the battery?. How does it work in cold weather or wet weather when your nose wheel tire might be wet? And how does the unit actually connect to your plane? My tube port where my handheld tow bar fits into seems a little worn. Do you think that would effect a robotow from connecting to my J model properly?

thanks much for the info / help.

Mark 

I think I paid about $1,200 3 years ago. The battery got weaker after two years and I replaced it with two 12V small AGM batteries from Battery Plus and a Radio Shack 30V charger. The AGM batteries provides more power, cost about $60 for both and last longer.

The wheels are 3" from Home Depot. Just installed with Ty wraps, no tools required. It makes it much easier to just drag it to the plane.

Never had any issues in wet rainy weather, there is no slippage on a wet tire. To enhance the tire coupling you just push down on the handle. The motor control is a variable trigger. It gives you fine small movement better than by hand.

José

Robotow Batteries.JPG

Robotow Wheels 1.JPG

• Like 1

I hemmed and hawed for several years as to what to get - and just dragged my airplane around by hand with the hand-tow bar.

Finally last summer I got a great deal on a powertow 40 - which I settled on instead of my other first runner-up choice - the robotow - and the reason I went powertow (besides the great deal) was that we do get lots of snow and ice - and you can easily fit it with chains which I got.  Well - what do ja know - no snow or ice yet this winter!  But they promise some tonight.  Maybe I should go to the airport tomorrow and drag my airplane around with the chains on and see how it works.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cnoe said:

... and there's always the converted mobility scooter (as seen in a previous thread). Doubles as a Walmart shopping aid as well.emoji57.pngImageUploadedByTapatalk1451447516.146751

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could just see you dragging your airplane through the walmart aisles.  Do you think it will fit?

• Like 1

The sidewinder has an similar patterned knurled surface to the RoboTow

The problems were:

#1 That the wheel is driven, and on ice the wheel itself will have limited traction when pulling over obstacles (like the lip-seal of the hangar), it will just spin. 

#2 that the wheel picks up snow and then transfers this to the drive roller, given some slippage + friction heat the snow will melt and re-freeze on the drive roller removing all traction that that point.  

My Hangar might be different in having a 1" lip (water barrier) that you need to drive the front and then main wheels over.  with the north facing door the first 6' or so is icy/snowy since it doesn't get direct sun in the winter.   You can get the front wheel out.  and then when it needs traction to pull the mains over the lip you are on the ice zone. 

• Like 1