Mooney crossing atlantic

Htwjr

They're an interesting couple. They passed through here last week, going from NC to LA on their way to Alaska. They didn't mention their route, I supposed it to have been the usual North Atlantic route.

You've got to love someone to spend that much time together in a Mooney!

post-6921-0-69451700-1432235596_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yup that's the airplane. Its sitting on our ramp right now as they raft the Colorado River for a week.

Very interesting couple to be sure. They've got to be the world record Mooney travelers.

Said they have 4000 hrs flying in that Mooney.

Yup that's the airplane. Its sitting on our ramp right now as they raft the Colorado River for a week.

Very interesting couple to be sure. They've got to be the world record Mooney travelers.

Said they have 4000 hrs flying in that Mooney.

Wonder what a happy couple could do together for 4000 hrs in the air?

Wonder if there is a frequent flyer program for the Mile High Club... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I imagine the MMHC (Mooney Mile High Club) is a pretty exclusive group. This is where an A36 cabin would make quite a difference.

I imagine the MMHC (Mooney Mile High Club) is a pretty exclusive group. This is where an A36 cabin would make quite a difference.

I know people who have not had problems in a Champ. Guess it requires more motivation . . .

• Like 1

Just met a guy and wife who came over across the Atlantic from Cape Verde to Recife Brazil 1600 miles 11 hrs IN AN E MODEL!

They have the Monroys and a 35 gal baggage tank. They've done it 5 times. They travel the world in their Mooney

Check out  www.honeymooney.com

That's a fascinating website. I love the mods he made to his E. I've always been a fan of simple, lightweight, efficient performance and he has really maximized that.

It probably starts out full as cool blue, and ends full as warm lemonade flavors.... :)

I tried this on my solo XC during training. There isn't enough leg room in a 152 to get what's required over the seat cushion :)

Depending on your routing and altitude HF radio may be required. I found the Icom 706 to be an excellent radio for these flights. Gander and Santa Maria Oceanic Radio has good coverage over the North Atlantic. New York Radio all the way to South America. HF Volmet broadcasts are handy for getting weather info over the ocean.

José 

Jose, is that a standard HAM HF or a specialized aviation version? I haven't checked the band plan but that looks like one of the several HFs I have in my room. I can talk to Japan on a clear night from my North Florida location.

I know people who have not had problems in a Champ. Guess it requires more motivation . . .

The only problem with the mile high club and a Champ is you have to get out and push to get to 5000 feet ;-)

• Like 1

The only problem with the mile high club and a Champ is you have to get out and push to get to 5000 feet ;-)

There's no need to be so literal. Doesn't "up in the air" count, especially with the old school planes?

• Like 1

Just did a quick local flight today with my 252 D-EZBK at Cascais (LPCS), and was told by the refueller guy that a German Ovation had just left from Cascais to the Azores with 2 german couples (4 pax) onboard, baggage and fuel for a long overwater flight. 

They were going for some holidays in the Azores, then back south to Madeira Island and then back to Germany!

Mooneys are the best earthrounders GA aircraft!!

Also, a visit to the facebook page N228RM is a great experience! It's a european mooney 252 that keeps travelling and makes the world small!!

• Like 1

I tried this on my solo XC during training. There isn't enough leg room in a 152 to get what's required over the seat cushion :)

Jose, is that a standard HAM HF or a specialized aviation version? I haven't checked the band plan but that looks like one of the several HFs I have in my room. I can talk to Japan on a clear night from my North Florida location.

It is the HAM version Icom 706MKIIG. A diode needs to be removed to allow full operation on HF and VHF. Details at:

http://www.ad4c.us/ICOM%20HF%20manuals/706%20in%20Mooney4.pdf

The unit is very popular among ferry pilots. It works very well.

José

Heathkit on rte 128(N) just outside of Boston...

The Dad and I built a receiver. Strung a wire out the window to a tree. Looked a lot like an ADF antenna.

To put a time frame on that...

They were selling a computer kit that started as the Sinclair and became known as the Timex/Sinclair after the acquisition.

A couple of kids wrote the operating system for the programmable calculator. There names were something like Gates and Allen.

Wonder what ever happened to those two....

Remember the Sinclair very well. My time was years earlier in 58-62. Computers had data cards then or

they had a sliding stick in a ruler!!!!.  I was different- I had a round one :-) Even took and old tube radio and

stretched the IF coil to hear the local police radio calls.  

My first factory made transmitter was a Collins 32V that I got from a ham radio friend

http://www.radioing.com/collins/tx06.html and Astatic D-104 microphone 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astatic_Corporation

when he passed away. Before this one I had military surplus from WWII and home made radios.

Oh!! what a joy to get a QSL card with a foreign country stamp. Or phone calls from your neighbors complaining about TVI (Television Interference).

KP4DAC

Just did a quick local flight today with my 252 D-EZBK at Cascais (LPCS), and was told by the refueller guy that a German Ovation had just left from Cascais to the Azores with 2 german couples (4 pax) onboard, baggage and fuel for a long overwater flight. 

They were going for some holidays in the Azores, then back south to Madeira Island and then back to Germany!

I hope they got back.  A friend of mine was working there this week, and said a German pilot arrived at LPAZ without reading the NOTAM advising that Avgas is not available....  Nearest alternate is a long, long way away.

I hope they got back.  A friend of mine was working there this week, and said a German pilot arrived at LPAZ without reading the NOTAM advising that Avgas is not available....  Nearest alternate is a long, long way away.

I always call the FBO for fuel availabilty before departing. The NOTAMS not always report "No AVGAS". Specially for foreign remote fields. The German pilot may have to order fuel delivered to LPAZ. Not cheap.

José

There may be Avgas on Terceira which isn't far from Santa Maria. When I was stationed there the Portuguese Flying Club had a N-registered C-172 they flew all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

They were selling a computer kit that started as the Sinclair and became known as the Timex/Sinclair after the acquisition.

A couple of kids wrote the operating system for the programmable calculator. There names were something like Gates and Allen.

Wonder what ever happened to those two....

Go Heathkit!

-a-

I set my oldest daughter, Sharon, up with the original Sinclair and then the larger Timex.  That would have been about 1978 +/-. Seems like the first had 8k memory and used a portable cassette recorder as the "hard disk".  It started her interest in math and science. Eventually she graduated from NC School of Science and Math, MIT, and got a masters from Northeastern U. 

• Like 2