Mooney crossing atlantic

Htwjr

I just noticed on flightaware there is a Mooney N921KT that is making a 9hr 2150 mile trip across the ocean to Northern Ireland. I am impressed. I am doing good to make a 4hr trip across land.

• Like 1

I met a Mooniac at Oshkosh in 13 who came from Scottland. He had made the crossing five times. He said he had gone all the way around the world twice.

He told me a story about getting a new girlfriend and asking her if she wanted to go with him to pick up his new plane. They flew to Dallas to pick up the plane. She didn't understand the situation until they were fitting her with a survival suit in Canada.

He must have picked up a hell of a tail wind. 450kts is smokin!

On another note, they are putting some serious miles on that bird. It was just here in san diego 3 days ago.

If you look at the graph, there is only one instance of that speed... looks more like a bad measurement or glitch!

Yves

• Like 1

The actual distance is 1874nm. He chose the perfect day for the trip with a tail wind of 60kts average at 17,000ft. Having 130 gals in the wings, no ferry tanks and burning about 11gph he has about 2hrs of reserve fuel left. The Ovation is quite a plane for this crossings. Is a true intercontinental plane.

José

post-6932-0-38666800-1431783433_thumb.jp

• Like 2

The actual distance is 1874nm. He chose the perfect day for the trip with a tail wind of 60kts average at 17,000ft. Having 130 gals in the wings, no ferry tanks and burning about 11gph he has about 2hrs of reserve fuel left. The Ovation is quite a plane for this crossings. Is a true intercontinental plane.

José

And I guess you can come back one of two ways (without ferry tanks).   1) stop in iceland.  2) the bering straits.

José

Hi Jose,

is 130 Gal an option on Ovation?  I thought max was around 100 Gal.

Masoud

Hi Jose,

is 130 Gal an option on Ovation?  I thought max was around 100 Gal.

Masoud

The standard tanks are 100 gallons but the total capacity can be increased to 130 gallons by adding the Monroy Long Range tanks. Check www.monroyaero.com.

José

And I guess you can come back one of two ways (without ferry tanks).   1) stop in iceland.  2) the bering straits.

We just had an Ovation cross from Europe with standard 90 gallon tanks.

Clarence

Longest overwater leg is 674nm in the Goose Bay-Narsarsauq-Keflavik-Wick routing. Very doable even in an stock M20K with 72 gal usable, especially going east. Although I would certainly want the extra 30 gal from the Monroys before attempting, just because. Coming back west would still be doable with reserves, but might require flexibility waiting for headwinds to drop. And for weather to clear.

post-10280-0-66061200-1431873591_thumb.j

Compliments to them for pushing the limits of the aircraft. I, of course am a wimp and would do "Nature Calls" in Greenland and Iceland. The only time I would do this non stop would be in my usual 767 with a bathroom and regular deliveries of coffee and food.

• Like 1

Depending on your routing and altitude HF radio may be required. I found the Icom 706 to be an excellent radio for these flights. Gander and Santa Maria Oceanic Radio has good coverage over the North Atlantic. New York Radio all the way to South America. HF Volmet broadcasts are handy for getting weather info over the ocean.

José 

post-6932-0-24557300-1431878125_thumb.jp

post-6932-0-18606500-1431878152_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just met a guy and wife who came over across the Atlantic from Cape Verde to Recife Brazil 1600 miles 11 hrs IN AN E MODEL!

They have the Monroys and a 35 gal baggage tank. They've done it 5 times. They travel the world in their Mooney

Check out  www.honeymooney.com