Foreflight just announced synthetic vision!

N601RX

Flew with it today. I have a Stratus 2 and it all worked quite nicely. Very usable. Even the altitude ribbon was only 100 feet off which is not bad at all. I only wish it worked in my iPhone 6. I have an iPad mini and like to look at the approach plates in full screen mode. Split screen during the approach is not desirable. Would much prefer to have SV running in full screen mode on the iphone with a RAM mount next to me.

Here are a couple more impressive pictures with interesting terrain.  It just adds thats much more "warm and fuzzy" when doing those low approaches especially in unfriendly terrain.  It is most definitely a useful tool IMO!  But WDIK 

I guess for the nearsighted this a must to have. I just got cataract lens replacement and the image I get out the window is truly realistic. :rolleyes: 

José 

I guess for the nearsighted this a must to have. I just got cataract lens replacement and the image I get out the window is truly realistic. :rolleyes:

José 

José I don't think the cataract lens replacement are going to be too much help in this instance.   :P

It would be nice to have the enhanced vision too................but I don't think that's coming to the iPad.  

Or maybe Honeywell, Rockwell, Garmin, etc.... are just silly for adding SV to the latest and greatest cockpits.  But again..........WDIK?   For $25 I'll gladly take the extra resource.  

post-7889-0-91290100-1420343776_thumb.jp

José I don't think the cataract lens replacement are going to be too much help in this instance.   :P

It would be nice to have the enhanced vision too................but I don't think that's coming to the iPad.  

Or maybe Honeywell, Rockwell, Garmin, etc.... are just silly for adding SV to the latest and greatest cockpits.  But again..........WDIK?   For $25 I'll gladly take the extra resource.  

You will be surprised at the new replacement lenses performance. Combined with polarized sunglasses I can spot terrain very well even under foggy conditions. I can also differentiate much easier dark vs. white clouds. No matter how much SVT technology you have on board you still need to look out the window and make visual contact with the runway. The last plane that landed my still be blocking the runway.

José

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Foreflight synthetic vision looks nice and impressive. But lacks vertical guidance for LPV approaches or VASI for VFR approaches. Vertical guidance is a must for any CAT-I approach. My GNS 530W provides autopilot coupled LPV & ILS vertical guidance way ahead of the FAF. Vertical guidance helps you in achieving the proper altitude and speed at the MAP, specially when turning base from the downwind. In either case runway visual contact must be achieved before proceeding to land. Runway VASI, obstacles and crosswind conditions are not reflected on the synthetic vision.

José 

Edited by Piloto

'Abandon' would be too strong of a word.  IPad crashes happen too often to be comfortable with them as a primary nav tool.

Since human error in the clag following a mis-tuned needle can happen.  The SV makes a great support to make sure everything is going swimmingly.

I would hate to rely on any one device.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I wonder how many pilots using this thing abandon their six packs and CDIs and just fly the approach with the iPad running SV? I bet way more than the folks that make the SV would be comfortable with.

I have SV, but rarely use it. Never for approaches. Far more comfortable with the GTN and CDI for approaches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk