Looking for M20S

lclyons

Hello,

I'm looking to buy an M20S, with Screaming Eagle STC (or add it).

1) Do you know of any for sale that you would recommend?

2) Any advice to me as I evaluate planes that are for sale?  Especially as it relates to this particular model / STC?

Thanks!

Try Strategic Aircraft (Aviation?) in Willmar, MN.  The last time I checked their website it advertised what appeared to be an attractive prospect.  I have no previous experience with either the company or their listing.

Keep us posted.  I'm beginning to think that their is nothing wrong with my C that another 100 hp wouldn't cure.

Another question for the group...all the planes on the market have engines which haven't flown in 2 years or so.  It seems to me that I need to discount the value of that engine and factor in the cost of an overhaul.  Is that a fair assumption to make?

No, that might be something to consider for an IO360.

Not the same for an IO550.

Location of the cams on the four cylinder is a challenge.

Yes, finding a Long Body that has been left idle and outdoors for two years is not usual.

Expect that negotiation on a $200k machine will take a little more fact finding. If during the PPI, you find a rusty cam, now you have something to negotiate.

The PPI of course is at the buyers expense. You are in for a $1,000 day to get started.

Find the plane you want, at the price you want, then make sure all AW issues are covered.

An IO550 is a 35k engine, a TopProp will add another $15k. Getting it installed will be another $10k...

The Long Body market Does not benefit from looking to see how cheap you can get one. That could turn incredibly expensive.

They are great planes, they just cost twice what the equivalent J goes for.

A nice J goes for 100k, a competitive R goes for 200k.

Your family would think you were a super hero if you come home with an R.

Keep in mind when negotiating, a 310hp Ovation with TopProp flies as fast, as

high and as far as the $500+k new O3 without any of the break-in hassle.

There are not that many for sale at any one time. See AAA's site. They usually have from one to four listed

Using your top down method of discounting the engine because it sat....

500k starting price? of a New O.

-35k old engine.

-20k old GPS.

-50k old G1000.

-20k for old paint.

$375k fair price (for this price, my plane would be for sale...)

Have you visited AAA in person? You can sense the strength of your addiction, just walking through the hangar....

Try not to negotiate, until you have found the plane you want.

Then let the negotiations begin...

Best regards,

-a-

Another question for the group...all the planes on the market have engines which haven't flown in 2 years or so. It seems to me that I need to discount the value of that engine and factor in the cost of an overhaul. Is that a fair assumption to make?

NO....

The challenge is usefull load! The long bodys with all the horsepower probably do not have more usefull load. My F model has more usefull than my 310 hp screaming  eagle, even with the 3368 lb weigt increase. Landing is still 3200 lbs. Lots more room in baggage compartment though. My s has AC which takes off about 80 lbs of usefull load.

That said both planes may be for sale as I am jumping through some hoops now (ecg anomaly in medical exam) Hope to know in a month or so.

Thank you to everyone for your comments. They are very helpful.

Here's my thought process on the screaming eagle vs. the J or the R. I have a J now, and love it. I've gladly spent the money to upgrade the avionics, paint, interior, and engine. My current weight requirements for typical mission is 560 pounds. That means I can have 57 gal fuel. Most of the time I can make it non-stop. Sometimes I need to stop due to headwinds and/or IFR reserves. The complication is my family is growing so this problem only gets worse.

Most R models leave me in the same situation. However, it seems that the useful load in a Screaming Eagle is different--75 gal fuel and a useful load of 675 pounds or so. It sounds like I still need to adhere to the 3,200 pound landing weight, but I don't see that as an issue since my flights are always for > 2 hours.

Am I missing something?

I ran into similar needs as you with useful load. My Screaming Eagle has 1034 useful load and I have airconditioning:) It was the only plane that could have pulled me out of my "J". If you want you can pull the MP/RPM back and get close to "J" economy or fly high and get "K" performance. The IO-550 run get LOP.

Just some technical stuff.

There were only 65 Eagles made from 1999 to 2001 (the final 2 made in 2002) of which only 60 remain on the FAA registry.

The originals were IO550G Continental engines de-rated to 244 hp. with a two blade McCauley prop. This combination yielded the fasted cruise speed at the time (1999) of 180+ KTAS

The "Screaming Eagle" is the STC conversion of replacing the two blade prop with a 3 blade Hartzell Scimitar and adjusting the governor to 2700 RPM. This combination provides 310 hp. and much better take-off/ climb performance however, the top speed suffers somewhat 

Eagles differ from Ovations only by the standard equipment, (some claim less insulation in the cabin) cloth seats, fill tubes in the fuel tanks limiting to 75 gal. and S-tec avionics in the panel instead of Bendix King. 

One of the interesting things about the 310 Eagle/Ovation not usually discussed is that you can get 60% power thru 18 K . Thus if you are flying LOP that might be where you would be in any event but without the need for a turbo. So for the occasional trip to altitude it makes great sense particularly with portable O2 since there is no weight penalty except when you need O2

Hello,

I'm looking to buy an M20S, with Screaming Eagle STC (or add it).

1) Do you know of any for sale that you would recommend?

2) Any advice to me as I evaluate planes that are for sale?  Especially as it relates to this particular model / STC?

Thanks!

I just acquired my Eagle a few months ago and know quite a bit about the Eagles that are on the market right now.  If you want to chat, let me know.

lcl,

I don't understand your UL calculation...

It seems that you are stating the Eagle has better UL with full fuel?

Some long bodies have 75gal, others have 100 and some have been extended beyond...

The MTOW is the same. The flexibility is left to the pilot, fill to 75, when filling the seats?

Definitely check the weight and balance when the seats are filled...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 months later...