Crosswind landing technique

MooneyBob

The one thing I have not seen covered in the posts so far is flap position.  When I was doing my commercial last year I went through the POH for my 231 a number of times, and was surprised to find, buried as a footnote to one of the Landing Distance charts, that the max demonstrated crosswind is only 12 kts.  I always had assumed it was around 17-18 kts., which is what I recall for the Warriors and Skyhawks I did my training in years ago.  Max. demonstrated is not a limitation of course, but it is an indication that the ability of the aircraft to land in a crosswind in normal configuration is limited.  I also found, in the para. on landings in Sec. IV, Normal Procedures, that the manual recommended using half flaps for landing if the max demonstrated is greater than 12 kts.

My own experience, even before finding these passages, is that the slip in a full flap condition works fine only up to a point.  For me, that point was always about a 10 kt. crosswind component, and I have to confess I have never been the type to run a computation on my E6B to figure out exactly what the crosswind component is, I just ballpark it.  Most of my landings in the midwest are in conditions that exceed that, and with experience I found a couple of things.  First, almost always - not always and I will discuss that in a minute, but almost always - a strong crosswind component will moderate just as you get into ground effect, because of ground friction.  Often a 15 kt. crosswind component just 15 or 20 feet up, becomes nothing or very little right at touchdown.  That led me, in strong crosswind conditions, to use a technique that is more crab and kick than sideslip.  In other words, I wait until right above the runway surface because the conditions there will be different than just 20 feet higher.  I have frankly not found the high sideslip method to be very useful in my Mooney in strong crosswind conditions. 

Then, as to airspeed and flap position, those 12 kt. recommendations in the manual assume the aircraft is in standard landing configuration, which is full flaps and 75 kts.  I almost never am able to land that way.  For one thing, at full flaps and 85 kts., which is what I am usually at over the fence, the aircraft has too much lift and is prone to ballooning, which you definitely do not want especially in gusty crosswinds and those are the norm here.  I use at most half flaps, as recommended in the manual, and very often no flaps at all.  That allows landing at a higher speed, which in turn provides more rudder authority and allows landing in higher crosswind conditions with less propensity to balloon.  Very often in high crosswinds I land with no flaps at all. 

So to summarize, I use the sideslip or a high crab and kick into a sideslip, for what I would characterize as low crosswind conditions, where the crosswinds are 10 kts. or less.  Above that, I use no more than half flaps and more airspeed, and I crab and kick and drop the upwind wing right above the runway.  If I don't need the flaps to control airspeed on approach, I will use no flaps at all.  Finally, there are rare occasions where the best technique for me is to fly it down to the runway, no flaps, lots of airspeed, not easy and not something I enjoy doing.

• Like 1

I use the clock method for crosswind computations. For landing, I just slip and it's a non-issue; if it's really windy and gusty, carry some speed and go half or less flaps, though I always use full flaps. Think of the wind angle like a clock face. At 60 degrees, it's just about 100% crosswind. At 30 degrees, it's about half. 

8-19_Crosswind_Comp_Chart.JPG

I agree with the above. I am a crab and kick guy. It is the safest way to maintain relative wind, leaving the cross control exposure to the last few feet above the pavement. What was not mentioned here was cross wind t-a-k-e o-f-f-s. There are nearly as many accidents in this phase as there are in the landing phase of cross winds ops and IMO take offs require more finesse and care. The typical Mooney DCC is 14 KTS. We all know this is a bit low and especially the short bodies can handle more. Crosswind t/o's from the left require more scrutiny, as a healthy amount of rudder authority is given away to left turning tendency, leaving less to grapple with the wind. Right cross wind t/o's are always preferable and where most operation above the DCC can be derived.

The one thing I have not seen covered in the posts so far is flap position.  

That's almost as big a religious dispute as crab & kick vs slip :D

I was taught the common less flap in a crosswind mantra in my early flight training. No way would I even consider a full flap landing in a strong crosswind! Then came a day in my CFI training when we were going up in a C152 with the winds at or exceeding the 15 KT demonstrated crosswind component. My instructor asked how I would land; I explained the known dangers of full flaps. "Ok." he said, "let's do some full flap landings." Pretty much a non-event. 

The anti-flap point of view is primarily based on the concept of more effective control surfaces at a marginally higher airspeed. The pro-flap point of view is primarily based on the rollout where, in case of a mishap, slower is better. I think , like C&K vs slip, it's more a question of individual technique than whether one is better than the other. 

Yeah, that whole idea works with crosswinds of 15kts or less.  Try a crosswind landing in more than that at the recommended "normal" landing configuration and 75 kts., and you will not have enough rudder authority, not in my Mooney anyway. 

Here is the exact wording from the 231 POH for anyone who needs to feel they are flying "by the book:"

LANDING (NORMAL)

1.  Airspeed on Final 75 KIAS (Full Flaps).

2.  Touchdown - Main wheels first.

3.  Landing roll - Lower nose wheel gently.

4.  Brakes - Minimum required

LANDING (CROSSWIND)

1. Airspeed on Final - Above normal approach airspeed with Full Flaps (if crosswind component is above 12 kts. use 1/2 Flaps.

2.  Allow Aircraft to crab on final

3.  Prior to Flare Slip Aircraft into Wind.

4.  Touchdown - Main wheels First.

5.  Landing roll - Lower nose wheel as quickly as possible.

6.  Brakes - As required to slow aircraft as quickly as possible.

That about says it.  I have flown a number of 172's, comparable to the 152, and J's and my 231.  The 172's have quite a bit more rudder authority at much slower speeds.  The Mooney needs the extra speed for rudder authority in a crosswind.

15 landings during a 2 hour training flight in 27 kt cross winds helped tremendously. (I should be truthful and say 13 - pretty sure there were at least 2 go rounds.)  In addition, EYQ is 9/27 orientation. Every takeoff and landing is a cross wind experience.

I did the first 18hrs of my PPL training at EYQ, landing on such a narrow runway with every landing being a crosswind landing really helped my development. Crosswind landings are one of my strongest points now!

I'm in the crab to about 50' then dial in the slip camp....the only thing I would add to the collective wisdom above is that when your nose wheel touches down it will steer in the direction of your rudder input...this can be alarming in a strong crosswind....so keep the upwind aileron deployed but relax the rudder just as the nose wheel is about to touch....but do not totally get off the rudder pedals because rudder / aileron spring interconnect will cause a turn Ito the wind....takes practice!!