New or Used Radio

So....here is the plan I selected.

Avionics shop quoted me 30-50 hours @100 per hour to install a new radio; not an option.

They wanted $300 to bench test to see if the could "repair" nav board and then install glideslope for $1000 on my current kx155; not worth it. They also didn't want any broke avionics. They were only interested in buying working avionics.

I now have a broke ki-209 and half broke kx-155 I don't need and aren't worth much.

My radio was a 069-1024-30. I found a 069-1024-31 for just under $2k with 90 day warranty. I bought it and went ahead and bought a kta750l handheld radio with ILS capability. The 550l couldn't do glideslope.

Now I have a primary radio and a handheld backup if ever needed. I should have everything installed by next Monday.

Bare minimum for basic IFR?

- 2 COM radios that I trust

- 1 decent VOR w/GS that I mostly trust

- portable GPS that is ABSOLUTELY trustworthy with an internal battery

If everything (including alternator) go to crap, turn everything off except one COM radio, declare an emergency, get a radar vector to VFR conditions, use the portable GPS to get there and on the ground safely, then call on your cell phone to cancel IFR.

My replacement kx-155 should be here by Tuesday. I already received my fta-750l that has both comm/nav/ils capability. I checked it out today and picked up a vor 51 miles out.

I'm waiting on the antenna kit and mount as well as the stratus 2 for my iPad mini. I think that is enough redundancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

So...dilemma.

I purchased a used KX-155 and swapped it out.  It wouldn't transmit/receive more than 5 miles.  I sent it back (90 day warranty) and just got the radio back one week ago.  I got a good radio check on the ground but as soon as I taxied out for takeoff, I still had the same problem I did the first time.  I could hear the tower just fine, but they couldn't hear me.  I swapped out back to the original KX-155 and had no problems with transmit or receive except when I go above 6000'.  

At this point, I'm ready to send back the replacement, get my money back and save some more to buy a GNC 255 with reliable installation.  I don't want to go down the troubleshooting rabbit hole wasting money.

My thoughts on this are because of the following:

Original KX-155 (no G/S)

1. Transmit/receive is fine as long as I stay below 6000'

2. Nav doesn't work at all (board is probably bad)

3. Will have to stay VFR until I get a replacement radio.

Replacement KX-155 (w G/S)

1. Transmit is weak/unreadable on the ground more than 100 yards

2. VOR/ILS not responsive (handheld picked up the ILS just fine from same position)

I don't think this is a wiring issue since the same type of radio works fine; frustrating.  On a good note, I bought a used Apollo 2001 NMS replacement for $10 off ebay.  It works and is connected to the auotpilot.  Not too bad for VFR flying.

I would look at your antenna and your coax, I had the same type of issue with one of my radios, swapped the antenna and the second radio seemed to be fine but still had limited range when I replaced the antenna and coax it was a night and day difference. You could be seeing different performance based on the different radios tuning and transmit power.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check for corrosion under the antenna. If the antenna has been there a long time there is likely some between it and the aluminum skin. Also look into the tray at the RF connectors in the back of the tray.  Each of these should small partial circular fingers sticking out around each one that makes the connection to the coax shield.  These fingers are easily broken off if the radio is forced into the tray while misaligned.  Also look on the back side of each RF connector  on the tray and make sure the coax shield is still soldered to the connector, these are often covered with heatshrink. Coax continuity and shorts can also be checked with an ohm meter, but isn't an absolute guarantee the coax is good.

The attached picture is of a coax with a broken shield that had very poor range and noise leaking into the audio panel when keyed.  It was covered with heatshrink. You can also see the circular fingers I mentioned above.

post-7624-0-92408400-1408457042_thumb.jp

I just recently invested another $150 on a used display for my KX155.  Lots of little things that can go bad, but the local shops all work on them.  I keep flirting with the idea of replacing them with a new digital radio, but I would need to replace my VOR indicator, also.

I took a friends KX-155 and flew 6 NM out; it had no issues on the radio side, his radio sounded better than the original in the plane!!

I did find that even his radio wasn't picking up a VOR/ILS signal so I'm sure that is a cabling issue.

I'm returning the KX-155 I purchased and have decided that instead of paying for troubleshooting of another used KX-155, I'm simply going to return the current unit, put that 2k back in the bank and save until I have enough for a GNC 250 radio.  Now....does anyone know a good avionics installer in the southeast?  The last dealer I contacted wanted $5000 to install a $4000 radio.

I took a friends KX-155 and flew 6 NM out; it had no issues on the radio side, his radio sounded better than the original in the plane!!

I did find that even his radio wasn't picking up a VOR/ILS signal so I'm sure that is a cabling issue.

I'm returning the KX-155 I purchased and have decided that instead of paying for troubleshooting of another used KX-155, I'm simply going to return the current unit, put that 2k back in the bank and save until I have enough for a GNC 250 radio.  Now....does anyone know a good avionics installer in the southeast?  The last dealer I contacted wanted $5000 to install a $4000 radio.

Sorry about the tough luck with the KX-155's.  Out of curiosity, were they sold as removed or reconditioned/yellow tagged?  If the latter, who did you get them from so they may be avoided?

I purchased the KX-155 as used through Pacific Coast Avionics, Aurora, Oregon.  They had a 90 day warranty.  I sent the radio back for repair in which they sent it to Gulf Coast Avionics and after about a month, I received it with repaired, return to service documentation.  The radio had the exact same issue as before; broken unreadable comm with tower at the end of the runway (the original and friends radio had no issues while on the ground).  The radio would not transmit more than 5 NM (original and friends radio transmit receive were loud and clear).

Luckily, I just mailed off the radio back to Pacific Coast Avionics for a full refund.

Interestingly enough, when I sent the radio back for repair, they gave me 3 options:  1. full refund, 2. repair, 3. replace.  I requested replace and after two weeks they responded unable to replace, refund or repair.  I selected repair and it didn't work out.  Oh well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went through the same process and discovered Kevin at Wentworth.  He sold me used serviceable guaranteed avionics for a very reasonable price.  He is an expert and can tell you what will exactly replace your existing unit.  Pull it out and push the new one in--no further installation necessary.  Do it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I slid in a michel mx170c as a replacement for a half broken kx170 and am happy with it. It should work for a kx155 too as far as I know. I have it hooked up to a new to me ki209 that my a&p replaced in about ten minutes after I had the plastic off the panel and the three screws removed. I won't pay an avionics shop five grand to install anything.

Precision Avionics in Griffin GA is pretty reasonable. Lee