GO PRO USE ?

DrBill

I got a GoPro camera and put it on the ceiling over the seat backs for my IFR Currency flight. Looks great but given the dark/light contrast for the outdoors, you cannot see much out the window.

Any one else use a GOPRO and where do you mount it.

I love the IPOD app to preview and control it without touching the camera.

BILL

I use three cameras to tape some of my flights. I don't try to control the taping while I fly. I just edit them down afterwards. To attach the cameras I use the provided mounts (they are strong enough to hold the cameras in place) and place the cameras on the inspection plates. Here is a link to one of the taped flights. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use three cameras to tape some of my flights. I don't try to control the taping while I fly. I just edit them down afterwards. To attach the cameras I use the provided mounts (they are strong enough to hold the cameras in place) and place the cameras on the inspection plates. Here is a link to one of the taped flights. 

I'd love to see a picture of the mount on the airplane.

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

Good question! I would love to see picture how people have them mounted on the exterior of the plane.

Just remember, that mounting cameras on the outside of certified airplanes, no matter how trendy and done all the time, is not legal in the US without some sort of DER sign off. Just a FYI in case you worry about ramp checks. Too my knowledge, there are little to no restrictions to putting them inside the plane on temporary mounts. If you do a bolted on mount inside, depending on where it is, it will likely require a sign off in the log book as minor alteration.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I understand the entire certified aircraft thing, and I get the risk. It's just a trend that will need some guidance down the road. I would tend to believe external mounted cameras are safer than dropping your IPhone in the pedals. I recently read an accident report about an Extra that crashed due to an internal 496 XM antenna coming loose in the cockpit and jamming the elevator controls. . A GoPro falling off would be highly unlikely. A GoPro falling off and then causing damage would be even more unlikely.   Good Judgment is a very loose and subjective term.
I even saw this link to a 747 flying with an external GoPro camera....

Everyone is doing it…lol.  Well, Kind of!

-Matt

BTW- Check out the website,  good bunch of real people that are all involved with current aviation events!

http://allthingsaero.com/airlines/cargo-operators/video-rare-footage-from-the-belly-of-a-beast-the-b747

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

Hey Oscar, when you say the mounts are strong enough, are you talking the adhesive mounts? Or do you rivet them on to your inspection panels? I see the one looks like it it attached somewhere between your VOR antennae. I've been thinking of doing that on the bracket where my ADF antennae used to attach.

I just got a GoPro 3+ and am experimenting with it in Indonesia. When I get back I'd like to run through the rockies from Calgary to Victoria with the little guy recording. I've got the extra battery pack and as long as you don't slave it to bluetooth it seems to have some good time.

The Hero 4 is coming out in June and it is good for 120fps. And about 2/3 the size. Nice...

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

Hey Oscar, when you say the mounts are strong enough, are you talking the adhesive mounts? Or do you rivet them on to your inspection panels? I see the one looks like it it attached somewhere between your VOR antennae. I've been thinking of doing that on the bracket where my ADF antennae used to attach.

I just got a GoPro 3+ and am experimenting with it in Indonesia. When I get back I'd like to run through the rockies from Calgary to Victoria with the little guy recording. I've got the extra battery pack and as long as you don't slave it to bluetooth it seems to have some good time.

The Hero 4 is coming out in June and it is good for 120fps. And about 2/3 the size. Nice...

I refer to the adhesive pad. However, for the one on the tail I did not use the go pro. The arm mounting system puts to much force to the minting pad and it may not be strong enough. So on the tail I use a contour camera,

Oscar

I find it funny that guys were FREAKING OUT! over the little dents in the one post about the FAA grounding an older J, but nobody has mentioned the effects of a big square GoPro on the wing or tail.

I think that you'll find that in both cases the effects are negligible....

I like the camera shots, my only concern would be the potential to "show off." Best to mount it, let it run, and forget it's there.... Just think about how many accidents start with one of the perpetrators saying "hey, watch this!"

• Like 1

Didn't see the "dent" post.  Mounting a GoPro on an inspection panel of unused antenae mount should not cause any trouble though. My bird was made in 1967 and has numerous little nearly unoticable dents all over. Like when my doctors wife got in the plane with high heels on before I noticed.  I didn't say anything as he signs out my medical ;)

M0,

There were discussions about mounting cameras when they first arrived. Same topic of flutter and where they were mounted...

A few PMs were initiated in order to not accidentally out some one.

No data exists to indicate whether there is a safety issue or not. Not much to talk about this way...

How much yaw needs to be countered to have a single go pro on the wing tip?

Best regards,

-a-

Say you post a "selfie" on you tube. Nothing spectacular, just in-flight video.

Say you get a phone call from someone who says he's from the FAA and he wants to help you. He saw your N number in that video and was wondering....

Say he asks to see where your AC type certificate provides for the wing-tip camera? Well, how about an STC? Or a sign-off by a DER? Or any documentation for that camera? Is there test data to prove airworthiness for your camera mount mod?

What would one say?

• Like 1

M0,

There were discussions about mounting cameras when they first arrived. Same topic of flutter and where they were mounted...

A few PMs were initiated in order to not accidentally out some one.

No data exists to indicate whether there is a safety issue or not. Not much to talk about this way...

How much yaw needs to be countered to have a single go pro on the wing tip?

Best regards,

-a-

Very little at the speeds we're operating at. On the topic of the dents, you could swing a 1/2" pipe at the leading edge of a mooney wing a foot out from the wingtip, take it flying, and you as the pilot would notice little, if any difference in flying characteristics at the speeds we typically operate. Might see a little wing drop on an O3 or Bravo, but below 200Kts, it's no factor.

I ferried a J for a pilot to get repairs that had run into a post with his wingtip. The FSDO issued a ferry cert, I flew it out. The dent looked bad, but if I didn't know it was there, I sure wouldn't have felt it.

Not saying it's legal from an FAA perspective, or that it's a wise decision, but a GoPro addition isn't much of factor based on the power + wing area we've got going for us. You probably wouldn't even know it's there from a "feel" perspective.

*disclaimer*- I do not condone, recommend or endorse illegal modifications of certificated aircraft. My statements above are by no means meant to be certification or endorsement of mounting goPros, flying with bent or damaged wings, or any sort of unauthorized modification of a certificated aircraft by the FAA. I also don't recommend hitting the wingtip of your mooney with a 1/2 steel pipe!

• Like 1