Engine trouble, emergency landing!

Today after flying a "practice" RNAV21 approach into KFKL (Franklin, Pa)  I experienced a partial engine failure and needed to do an emergency landing (see attached flight track photo).  I had just climbed through 3600' MSL (2100'AGL) and was three miles northwest of the airport when I started losing power, my engine monitor warning light started flashing and all four EGT/CYL probes went cold. I immediately turned toward the airport, switched fuel tanks, and went through my emergency landing procedures and declared an emergency on the Unicom, the engine continued to surge from no power to partial power.  I saw right away that I’m high enough to make it to runway 12 (100x3593’) if I did everything right. I lowered the gear and flaps when it looked right but was high and a bit fast and needed to slip it down. The landing wasn’t textbook but good considering the circumstances. I was able to limp to the ramp under partial power.

The engine starts fine, is doggish at high power setting and runs very rough under 1200 rpm and it doesn’t idle at all, fuel pressure is good,mags check good . It smokes, especially at lower power settings and smells like a lawnmower that has its mixture set too rich.

Bad fuel servo?

post-8897-0-76556500-1440877450_thumb.jp

• Like 3

John ..wonderful job and outcome. All your practice fortunately was worth it

Super pilots like yourself makes our mooney community look Good

Thank god for the outcome....and your precious family and friends should be proud...I am

• Like 2

On a Rayjay turbonormalizer the waste gate is fully open when the turbo isn't in use so it's not producing any significant boost. Not sure what the color of the smoke was because I couldn't see it from the cockpit, it was my two passengers that informed me.

I haven't had a chance yet to download the data from the EI UBG-16.

I didn't notice fuel flow.....too busy:)

Here are the engine monitor results, you can see when I initially leveled off, when I leaned out, when I descended during the practice approach, climbed, leveled off......and when things went south:(

The first two photos I seperated CHT and EGT, the third I combined them.

My mechanic will be troubleshooting the problem in a day or so.

I'll keep you posted.

post-8897-0-34630900-1441029345_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-97886500-1441029360_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-42614400-1441030129_thumb.jp

I beleive this was turbo related. Nothing that is instrumented seems to be the problem. Everything I see in terms of EGT/CHT looks like it's a symptom of something else. I think of a turbo coming apart acting sort of like a banana in the tail pipe. Do keep us posted.

• Like 1