Inverted roll in J Model

AlanA

I got into a conversation yesterday with a Mooney pilot who claimed he use to do multiple inverted rolls in a "J" model. I don't plan on going inverted but I am really curious about the M20J's ability to do this procedure. Has anyone done a roll, or heard of other pilots who have done this manuever?

A barrel roll done properly is a positive G maneuver. An aileron roll isn't, and not having an inverted oil system, Mr. Motor will puke oil out the breather and all over the belly when you go negative.

Sent from my free Obama phone . . . .

bumper

• Like 1

Can a Mooney complete a barrel roll? Yes. BUT why? Its like taking your minivan to the racetrack. Sure, it'll get around the track (eventually), but you'll be exceeding the intended limits and won't have the control authority, responsiveness, or safety gear of a racecar.  

Alan,

The "J-rolling Mooney pilot" you spoke to revealed one of two things: He's either blowing smoke to inflate his ego or he is exhibiting extremely poor pilot judgement. Not the type of guy I'd take advice from or jump in an airplane with.  

Aerobatics are a huge thrill! - accomplish in an aircraft certified for that purpose after/while obtaining proper instruction.

• Like 3

Cant say I'd try one on my own, pure lack of experience or confidence in anything other than keeping dirty side down, I know of a guy who does them regulary in an E model . I have done a series of 1G rolls in a Lear 23 piloted by Clay Lacy, That was a treat on many levels  :D

i wonder how long the tail will stay attached if that roll turns into a split S. Once, in my younger, more stupid days, I rolled a rental arrow and ended up doing a split S. That vne sure comes up fast. An it's so hard not to pull up hard when you see the ground in the windshield. I'm still here, the pair of undies I wore that they are not. Yes, the arrow held up about 20knots past vne.

I never understand why folks insist on performing maneuvers or anything else that's prohibited in a given aircraft.  If you have an itch to do some aerobatics, go out and fly something that's designed for it.  I've done a fair amount of aerobatics in my day but I'd NEVER  consider doing it in my Mooney.  I guess it must be a macho thing. 

For those folks doing aerobatics in aircraft not designed for it, don't be surprised if Darwin kicks in.  Remember there's old pilots, bold pilots but no old bold pilots.

• Like 4

Probably the same reason that people with performance cars sometimes drive well in excess of the speed limit, i.e., because they can. I never gave safety much thought when pressing my foot down, just wondered if it was a good time to not get caught. Age, experience and wisdom tame that urge, but aircraft are not as forgiving. The aeronautical equivalent of sliding through the gravel at 100+ is most likely an NTSB report, hopefully (but not likely) non-fatal.

I've done aileron rolls in the Xplane simulator with a M20J.  I usually don't crash!  As for real life, I don't have the training to do so.  And it seems like it adds lots of risks:  personal safety and equipment (gyro, engine, etc)

I rolled once in my old M20E.   Strong turbulence near Banning Pass rolled me inverted in spite of opposite aileron.   Once I was inverted I gave up trying to stop the process and "rolled with the flow."  By the time I got the ailerons back to neutral the plane was about level again, about 20 degrees nose down, and out of the rotor.   No damage, although my heart rate exceeded design limits for a minute or so.     

I rolled once in my old M20E. Strong turbulence near Banning Pass rolled me inverted in spite of opposite aileron. Once I was inverted I gave up trying to stop the process and "rolled with the flow." By the time I got the ailerons back to neutral the plane was about level again, about 20 degrees nose down, and out of the rotor. No damage, although my heart rate exceeded design limits for a minute or so.
This is the exact reason everyone should go through a 10 hour basic aerobatic course. In many cases, folks that when this happens will pull on the controls and split-S right into the ground.
  • Like 3

Okay....I'm a little confused (as usual).

I know the difference between a barrel roll and a roll (aileron roll, if you prefer), but what the heck is an "inverted roll"?  Did the OP mean "roll inverted", or does he mean you start from inverted flight, roll 360 degrees and return to inverted?

I hope not!  Not in a Mooney anyway.   :blink:

I never understand why folks insist on performing maneuvers or anything else that's prohibited in a given aircraft.

It's because prohibitions are often times the result of a bureaucratic decision.   An example is a Cessna 150 acrobat vs the standard 150.  Aside from the seat belts and doors, there probably was not a lot of difference in the plane.  Remember the 55 MPH speed limit and how we were all going to die for driving at any speed over that. I'm sure there are other examples as well.  

Anyway, I hope to never roll my Mooney.

This is the exact reason everyone should go through a 10 hour basic aerobatic course. In many cases, folks that when this happens will pull on the controls and split-S right into the ground.

I did push forward when inverted, otherwise it might have been a fine split S exit.  Yes, prior acro training probably helped. 

• Like 1

I was in Oshkosh in 95 or so and watched Roy Lopresti do a complete aerobatic routine in a Mooney..

One of my favorite airshow memories is watching Bob Hoover's Shrike Commander routine - absolutely amazing. I love watching the various performers doing their airshow routines in all sorts of aircraft. It's one thing watching Matt Youngkin roll his Twin Beech or Mr. Hoover perform his Shrike Commander show, but I have an entirely different opinion of Billy Bob's impromptu attempt at aerobatics in his Mooney. I've seen what happens when it's muffed up. It's pretty tough to explain away. 

• Like 2