Garmin 530W

Garmin 530W recently removed from one of our helicopters. Included is mounting tray, antenna, and some extra plugs. GPS was installed new in 2009 on aircraft at factory and was always hangared so this unit is in excelent shape. The sun shade is not included (off of a Robinson R44) unless you want it.

$8200 plus shipping

post-14290-1346814116992_thumb.jpg

post-14290-13468141170258_thumb.jpg

post-14290-13468141170552_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I bought the unit. It is actually a GNS530AW with a 16 watts COM but it measured 20 watts on the bench. It requires 28volts for the COM but not for the NAV side. I added a 14 to 28V converter to work on my M20J. Very happy with it, everything works.

José

post-6932-0-29942100-1362863437_thumb.jp

I put in a used 28 volt KY 196A Com and used Lone Star voltage converter for a second com. The Lone star converter is about 2"x3" and weights .5lbs. There are some good deals out there on used 28 volt equipment. It gave me a 760 channel 20 watt digital com setup for under $500. The same 14 volt setup would have been around $700 and only 5 or 10 watts.

You saved 200$ and also added another link in the chain of failure for that radio.  Plus you had to wire up and mount another box somewhere in the airplane, and at 75$ an hour, it must have taken 200$ worth of labor to do that.

Its a backup com radio  but still now the electricity must pass from the battery -> main bus -> avionics master -> avionics bus -> Lone star voltage converter -> radio.  Ask Lone star the MTBF on that converter.

Its a TSO converter, so whatever the MTBF is the FAA has accepted it as being good enough. I generally don't place any value on my labor when working on my aircraft. I actually find it enjoyable and stress relieving afer a day at work.

What's the MTBF on a Bendix mag after it shows problems on a mag check on runup and the CFII/ATP in the right seat tells his wife to take off on a long cross country anyway?

• Like 1

You saved 200$ and also added another link in the chain of failure for that radio.  Plus you had to wire up and mount another box somewhere in the airplane, and at 75$ an hour, it must have taken 200$ worth of labor to do that.

Its a backup com radio  but still now the electricity must pass from the battery -> main bus -> avionics master -> avionics bus -> Lone star voltage converter -> radio.  Ask Lone star the MTBF on that converter.

These voltage converters are very reliable, never seen one fail. The 28V avionics are usually cheaper and sometimes easier to get. I searched for a 14V 530W and the price was ususally $1000 or more than the 28V, if available. But the mayor advantage of the 28V unit is the 20W COM vs the 5-10W units on 14V. Nobody blocks me now when I talk on the radio. And I can reach San Juan Oceanic way before HARDE intersection. I wired the NAV side to 14V so even if the voltage converter fails I still have navigation function. I also have two other COMs onboard.

José

Its a TSO converter, so whatever the MTBF is the FAA has accepted it as being good enough. I generally don't place any value on my labor when working on my aircraft. I actually find it enjoyable and stress relieving afer a day at work.

What's the MTBF on a Bendix mag after it shows problems on a mag check on runup and the CFII/ATP in the right seat tells his wife to take off on a long cross country anyway?

TSO means nothing WRT MTBF. It simply means it wont catch fire and crash your airplane. It meets the minimum standards for aircraft components.  It is one more device between your PTT and ATC, and it something built by men, that can fail. 

The MTBF on magnetos is 5,000 hours according to John Schwaner (Skyranch guy) and the probability of two mag failures at the same time is 20k hours. 

About 5 hours from experience in our case til the first mag failure. Kelly strikes again.

These voltage converters are very reliable, never seen one fail. The 28V avionics are usually cheaper and sometimes easier to get. I searched for a 14V 530W and the price was ususally $1000 or more than the 28V, if available. But the mayor advantage of the 28V unit is the 20W COM vs the 5-10W units on 14V. Nobody blocks me now when I talk on the radio. And I can reach San Juan Oceanic way before HARDE intersection. I wired the NAV side to 14V so even if the voltage converter fails I still have navigation function. I also have two other COMs onboard.

José

didn't realize the 28v radios had higher wattage.  learned something new today.

They don't transmit a higher wattage , They draw a higher wattage , Ohms law in action.....Any EEs care to chime in...

That's not true. They transmitt between 16-20 watts. The 12 volt models will transmitt either 5 or 10 watts. I looked at the output on mine on the spect anlyzer before installing.

A 20 watt radio will draw around 140 watts of power

TSO means nothing WRT MTBF. It simply means it wont catch fire and crash your airplane. It meets the minimum standards for aircraft components.  It is one more device between your PTT and ATC, and it something built by men, that can fail. 

The MTBF on magnetos is 5,000 hours according to John Schwaner (Skyranch guy) and the probability of two mag failures at the same time is 20k hours. 

About 5 hours from experience in our case til the first mag failure. Kelly strikes again.

100,000 hrs,  sounds good enough to me.  Its a back up com.

That's not true. They transmitt between 16-20 watts. The 12 volt models will transmitt either 5 or 10 watts. I looked at the output on mine on the spect anlyzer before installing.

A 20 watt radio will draw around 140 watts of power

As per Garmin table 1.4.2 of the Installation Manual the 530AW COM side will draw 3 Amps at 28 Volts = 84 Watts when transmitting. Mine measured 3.1 Amps, probably due to the higher output power of 20 Watts. 28V systems tend to be more efficient due to lower currents thus lower IR losses. This is why you see 270 volts systems on large aircraft. Air transport VHF COM can run up to 50 Watts. Too much COM power in small aircraft can cause problems with autopilots (hiccups) ANR headsets and other systems if wiring is not properly shielded.

José   

Large transport aircraft and most small jets as well run 115V AC, 400Hz. You save a bunch of weight due to using very small guage wire. Most of it is 24 or 26 guage. The amp draws are much less with that high of voltage.

From my experience the only avionics in transport planes that run on 28VDC are the COMs. All the other avionics run on 115V/400Hz. This is why you need the RAT when all else fail.

Here is a summary from Boeing of the different voltages used

The all-electric version relies on a higher voltage “hybrid” system, as Boeing elaborates:

“The 787 uses an electrical system that is a hybrid voltage system consisting of the following voltage types: 235 volts alternating current (VAC), 115 VAC, 28 volts direct current (VDCicon1.png), and ±270 VDC. The 115 VAC and 28 VDC voltage types are traditional, while the 235 VAC and the ±270 VDC voltage types are the consequence of the no-bleed electrical architecture that results in a greatly expanded electrical system generating twice as much electricity as previous Boeing airplane models. The system includes six generators — two per engine and two per APU — operating at 235 VAC for reduced generator feeder weight.

“The ±270 VDC system is supplied by four auto-transformer-rectifier units that convert 235 VAC power to ±270 VDC. The ±270 VDC system supports a handful of large-rated adjustable speed motors required for the no-bleed architecture. These include cabin pressurization compressor motors, ram air fan motors, the nitrogen-generation-system compressor used for fuel-tank inerting, and large hydraulic pump motors.”

So you see ground transportation isn’t the only place where all electric prevails. It works in airplanes too. Why?… because it is more efficient … just like the Chevy Volt.

Source: Boeing

The King KY 196A I installed draws 5 amps at 28 vdc per the install manual durring transmitt. That would be a 10.5 amp load on the 14 volt side of the converter. I used RG 400 and put the antenna on the bottom side. I have not noticed any problems.