Aspen Avionics

jackn

The advice I was given by a MAJOR AVIONICS SHOP recently was to OH the KCS55A if needed. I was inquiring about a potential G500. The gentleman was honest and, in no uncertain terms, said "hold on to that HSI!" His advice was that the KCS55A is an excellent, extremely capable and reliable box. Also he made the point that from a functionality perspective "you'll be disappointed" because you don't gain any over the KCS. He really made me think! And this advice coming from a Very prominent shop speaks volumes!  I assume you have a KCS55A.

A KCS55A can be oh'd for ~ 1K$! What does an Aspen cost? And how much does it really cost when you consider the failures? Yes, many have had multiple failures. Not one or two but multiple failures. My KCS 55A has NEVER failed! BTW, GPSS is NOT a good enough reason to buy an Aspen imo. 

Slow down and consider all your options! The bandwagon isn't going anywhere!

I added an Aspen PFD to my 201 a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. The Aspen adds so much functionality to the airplane, you will be surprised at the added features and capability.  My combination is a G530, Aspen Pro PFD, and an STEC 30 autopilot.  The Aspen handles GPS roll steering and heading/GPS switching and annunciation.  You will also get wind vector information, heading, altitude, airspeed and minimums bugs, and much more.

I don't yet have synthetic vision, but it looks nice. 

Greg

My DG ultimately became due for an overhaul and that's what prompted me to install the Aspen nearly 2.5 years ago.  It's the perfect compliment to the 430 and I'm very pleased with it, particularly the GPSS steering. 

When my factory AI goes, I suspect I'll drop the cash to have the Aspen drive the KAP150.  It seems to be more economical than overhauling the King unit.

Finally, I had the SV installed this past winter prior to flying cross country to the Rockies.  While I found it extremely helpful in that environment (unfriendly terrain), I certainly don't get much utility from it here in NJ.  In fact, just showing the terrain page on the 430 or the 496 give me ample familiarity of terrain here.  That said, it is pretty cool to have when the need arises ;-)

Does it make sence to have the SVT and so much data on one aspen screen?

I believe it does, but have not seen an actual aspen in operation.

as far as too much information crowding out the important information...

A few button presses and only the important data is presented.

As far as looking for a flat spot in an engine out condition, maybe a combination of ATC and SVT would be more helpful than my current HSI.

My Xmas list now includes 1 Aspen and 1 JPI 900 and another iPad.

If I were the sales guy for Aspen, I think I would set up a Webinar with different pilot groups like MooneySpace...

Which unit am I looking to purchase?  An EFD1000 with weather, traffic and SV.

Thinking out loud...

Best regards,

-a-

Aspen PFD Pro installed cost - $12,500.00

Overhaul on a mechanical HSI + labor - $1,200.00 (max)

At 10 times the cost, it's hard for me to justify, unless you just really want an Aspen unit.  If you don't buy the aspen PRO, you don't get an HSI, just a DG (which IMHO is almost insulting for the cost...- its about 8500 installed, but would be a step backward for you)

Do you fly much IFR?  Single pilot?  Do you know your current HSI well?  If it were me, I'd balance my expected gains vs cost and make the decision that way.  Ultimately, it would have to be much cheaper for me to bite.... But $12,500 is alot of money to me.  If you've got the cash laying around, and love your plane, then go for the full panel upgrade!  There are plenty of clean examples on this board of aspen installs and a couple Garmin installs, too.  Each have their own merits, both I'm functionality and cosmetics.  Good luck with your choice, if you do the upgrade let us know how it goes and post some pics!

Quote: M016576

Aspen PFD Pro installed cost - $12,500.00

Overhaul on a mechanical HSI + labor - $1,200.00 (max)

At 10 times the cost, it's hard for me to justify, unless you just really want an Aspen unit.  If you don't buy the aspen PRO, you don't get an HSI, just a DG (which IMHO is almost insulting for the cost...- its about 8500 installed, but would be a step backward for you)

Do you fly much IFR?  Single pilot?  Do you know your current HSI well?  If it were me, I'd balance my expected gains vs cost and make the decision that way.  Ultimately, it would have to be much cheaper for me to bite.... But $12,500 is alot of money to me.  If you've got the cash laying around, and love your plane, then go for the full panel upgrade!  There are plenty of clean examples on this board of aspen installs and a couple Garmin installs, too.  Each have their own merits, both I'm functionality and cosmetics.  Good luck with your choice, if you do the upgrade let us know how it goes and post some pics!

Quote: Piloto

Ok, any girls on this thread? Would you rather go with a guy with an Aspen or with a guy with $12K in his pocket ready to spend it with you on a nice vacation in Paris?

José

If you fly into Aspen, you really need an Aspen. winking smiley

I don't put much stock in anyone with a history of personal, preconceived, non Aspen opinions, using some unnamed source to confirm those beliefs. eye rolling smiley

That said, when my 102 gyro went TU, I rebuilt it for under a grand. The Aspen is quite sweet, however, as I'm sure your soon-to-be-wife is. Good luck!!! thumbs up