Looking for an M20S vs Ovation...

Skydac

I can achieve 176 - 180 kts on my standard Eagle (no upgrades) on 14.5 gal/hr at 10,000 - 12,000 ft. I'm not sure I'd pay $20,000 for 10 more kts. Of course my normal mission is 500 - 700 nm. Thats about 12 minutes on a 600 nm trip. The 244 hp Eagle will also have a better chance of making TBO from what I hear. I would love an Ovation paint and interior !!!!!! I'm on cloth seats with a very basic white paint job. :(

IMHO, It's really not the cruise speed that one would pay the big $'s to get from the 310 Hp STC unless you are willing to accept the higher fuel burn/costs but rather the increased gross weight from 3200 lbs to 3368 lbs and the overall performane increases. Btw I can get 197 kt's or better cruise if Im willing to use 2700 rpm. So 2400-2550 is a good compromise and gives similar fuel burns to an R but is a few knots faster since it is lighter. It also allows for higher speeds LOP. Personally I wanted it for (safety) ie the takeoff and climb performance which is significant over the stock Eagle and late model MSE's. Is it worth 20k for the increased performance,75 gal to 89 gal legal fuel increase, safety, gross weight increase, flexibility and resale value? Who knows? Only the market can tell but I think it provides the very best in performace flexibility and economy of any normally aspiirated A/C. One question I have is the comment on the 244 hp Eagle having a better chance of making it to TBO as opposed to the 310hp version. Would you be able to point me to that info? I'm curious as to the validity of the data referenced since the statistical sample of these AC is really small not to mention the very few conversions relative to the Eagle fleet size. There are of course the Ovation 3's with the same 310hp STC so they might be included.

Thanks Chris - I'll have that checked. I have seen that when in level flight at altitude on autopilot with the ball centred the right aileron is about 1" above the outer edge of the flap whereas the left aileron slightly below. My mechanic thinks it may be incorrect flap rigging causing aileron compensation and he's checking that this week. Unfortunately there are no experienced MSCs in Europe and its hard to get hold of the rigging tools etc.

Bruce- When I bought the upgrade I looked at this and the real benefits of the upgrade aren't so much enroute speed but the vastly better take-off, climb and landing performance as well as the 168lbs additional useful load. It just flies like a different plane.

Jorgen

I never thought of the increase in payload. Because I operate on the East Coast takeoff distance and performance is seldom an issue. But when looked at as a complete package the conversion does make sense and seems like a good value.

As far as the TBO comment, it just makes sense that an identical engine being asked to produce 15-20% less HP would have a better chance to make it to TBO. Of course your mileage may vary. As far as any studies, I have none to offer.