Ovation Annual

Mooney People,

Ovation annual...#1 cylinder had to be changed...compression was 30 and crack found. Bought overhauled cylinder from Zephyr Hills. Installed per Mike Busch.

and stall warning does not beep!   So two questions...If for the next 25 hours or so, I run 24 square , will it  break in the new cylinder properly?  and  will leave out the CamGuard. 

I think Sarasota Avionics will try to fiddle with the stall warning and then I will slow down and see if it works. Anybody know how to fix it? 

Thanks. Everyone

Alan

PS TTSN was right around 1000 hours since airplane was new. My friend here has a Cirrus SR22. with 1800 hours, same engine ...all compressions in seventies...go figure!

and  I wanted a brand new cylinder.....cannot be had! 

I have the same issue with the stall warning. Problem is, in order to replace the switch hve to remove the TKS panel which according to CAV will likely get destroyed in the process. Switch is intermittent. Considering just putting a Garin AOA in (it will interface with the G3X Touch) as a backup until I can find a better solution.

I think I’d spend avlot of time with a voltage meter at both ends of the circuit checking all the connections before replacing anything…

Its really easy for maintenance folks to tell you something is broken and we must replace that thing.  It’s harder to actually troubleshoot what is causing the problem in the first place.

• Like 3

It should take very little diagnostic to figure out the stall warning. The vane doesn't have any moving parts to speak of. Access is simple. Everything can be checked on the ground without starting the engine. A new microswitch is $9 from Mooney.

7 minutes ago, rickseeman said:

It should take very little diagnostic to figure out the stall warning. The vane doesn't have any moving parts to speak of. Access is simple. Everything can be checked on the ground without starting the engine. A new microswitch is $9 from Mooney.

What is the easy access you are referring to? Could the microswitch be changed without removing my TKS panel?

And, what's with the $9 microswitch....from Mooney???  Maybe the Ovation is way different than my F, but I didn't even think the switch itself was available separately; had to buy the whole vane assembly.

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Not sure with the TKS models, but on non-TKS to get to the switch you'll have to drill out some rivets on an inspection panel underneath the wing, closest to the stall vane.

Yup.  My FIKI Acclaim has the rivets, and as an added bonus, the leads for the stall warning are zip tied tightly to the TKS supply tubes.  Which, themselves, have almost no service loops. 

At least the stupid expensive heated stall warning sits on top of the TKS panel.
-dan

19 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Yup.  My FIKI Acclaim has the rivets, and as an added bonus, the leads for the stall warning are zip tied tightly to the TKS supply tubes.  Which, themselves, have almost no service loops. 

At least the stupid expensive heated stall warning sits on top of the TKS panel.
-dan

Clearly there will be areas more difficult to access, but I think Id want to check power at the sonoalert just in case it’s that vs the actual stall warning switch. You can also check power at the circuit breaker for the stall warning.  If all that checks good, you’re going to have to access the switch anyway, so maybe time to do the tougher job.  Im guessing the maintenance folks didn’t go through all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Clearly there will be areas more difficult to access, but I think Id want to check power at the sonoalert just in case it’s that vs the actual stall warning switch. You can also check power at the circuit breaker for the stall warning.  If all that checks good, you’re going to have to access the switch anyway, so maybe time to do the tougher job.  Im guessing the maintenance folks didn’t go through all that.

Right. Otherwise, there is no way to access the connector for the stall warning switch w/o drilling t(e rivets.  

16 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

First I'd open the pilot vent window, leave the master on and go out and see if you can manually move the vane to hear the stall warning. Many times the microswitch gets "Moved" when someone bumps up against it during a pre-flight or refueling. 

I had this happen when I had in FBO an MN refuel me before a return trip to Texas. I'm sure now that they leaned up against the stall vane and on power up the stall warning was blaring in my headphones. On the G1000 airplanes the stall warning is on the same circuit as the engine instruments. I had the choice of hearing the blaring of the stall warning for 5 hours or not having engine instruments for 5 hours. I texted one of the guys from the factory service center and he had a good suggestion. Take off and get to cruise and get my power settings all set up, pull the breaker and every 15 min., or sooner if I hear anything abnormal, push the breaker back in and check the instruments. (I actually set the timer for every 10 min just to be sure). I did that and zero issues. I had it fixed as soon as I got back. The microswitch needed to be adjusted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

First iId open the pilot vent window, leave the master on and go out and see if you can manually move the vane to hear the stall warning. Many times the microswitch gets "Moved" when someone bumps up against it during a pre-flight or refueling. 

I had this happen when I had in FBO in MN refuel me before a return trip to Texas. I'm sure now that they leaned up against the stall vane and on power up the stall warning was blaring in my headphones. On the G1000 airplanes the stall warning is on the same circuit as the engine instruments. I had the choice of hearing the blaring of the stall warning for 5 hours or not having engine instruments for 5 hours. I texted one of the guys from the factory service center and he had a good suggestion. Take off and get to cruise and get my power settings all set up, pull the breaker and every 15 min., or sooner if I hear anything abnormal, push the breaker back in and check the instruments. (I actually set the timer for every 10 min just to be sure). I did that and zero issues. I had it fixed as soon as I got back. The microswitch needed to be adjusted.

I’ve seen linemen hit it with a fuel hose before.  Kind of dragging the hose down the leading edge to get to the filler.  It’s super annoying.  They aren’t doing it on purpose, however, $20/hr lineman vs a $200-500k aircraft is a tough combination.

• Like 3

Hello Everyone, Update on my annual. Fiddling with stall warning vane got it working. After careful pre flight and run up, took off. Climbed to 2500 ft AGL

and at this  altitude stayed in traffic pattern ( Florida KVNC  is 18 feet) Flew for 30 minutes at 25" MP and 2500  RPM. Thunderstorm was getting close so 

landed. Engine ran smoothly . I will carefully watch engine parameters for next 25 hours and keep track of any oil consumption. 

Thanks for all the advice.

Alan

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, NickG said:

What is the easy access you are referring to? Could the microswitch be changed without removing my TKS panel?

I don't know anything about TKS. But my Ovation just has a panel under the stall switch that you remove to access the stall switch.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:44 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

The microswitch in the stall detector is hard to find and it costs over $100 from Honeywell. Can’t see Mooney selling it for $9.

It didn't seem hard to find for me. I called Lasar, they said they didn't have one in stock, but Mooney did. And Mooney drop shipped it to me for $9. Thanks Lasar. And thanks Mooney. It was like the old days.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2024 at 9:41 AM, MikeOH said:

And, what's with the $9 microswitch....from Mooney???  Maybe the Ovation is way different than my F, but I didn't even think the switch itself was available separately; had to buy the whole vane assembly.

I found it hard to believe too. Nowadays with everybody trying to steal as much as they can from every person on every part and every invoice it felt good to do business the old fashioned way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rickseeman said:

It didn't seem hard to find for me. I called Lasar, they said they didn't have one in stock, but Mooney did. And Mooney drop shipped it to me for $9. Thanks Lasar. And thanks Mooney. It was like the old days.

The Ovation must not have the standard stall detector. It must be a DIY design from Mooney. I will have to take a look next time I'm near an Ovation.

• Like 1